Boasting the World’s Only Corn Palace, the small city of Mitchell, South Dakota is home to more than 15,000 people. Residents are attracted to this city because of its affordable housing, low cost of living, and recreational offerings. If you own a house in Mitchell, you will want to be sure to protect your investment with a suitable home insurance policy. When you are shopping for the right homeowners insurance coverage, a local independent insurance agent can help. Contact an insurance agent in or near Mitchell for answers to your insurance-related questions and to begin comparing customized home insurance quotes.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Mitchell, SD?
The good news is that home insurance rates in the state of South Dakota are lower than the national average, and in Mitchell, the rate is even lower.
- National average yearly premium: $1,173
- South Dakota average yearly premium: $1,096
- Mitchell average yearly premium: $1,022
Your actual home insurance quotes are likely to differ from the average rate shown above. Costs are calculated on a case-by-case basis and are determined according to several factors such as:
- The size of your home, the year it was built, and the materials used in its construction
- The type of home you are insuring (i.e., single-family detached house, townhouse, condo, manufactured home, etc.)
- The crime rate and weather risks in your ZIP code
- Your claims history and credit score
- The amount of your deductible
- Whether you are bundling your homeowners coverage with other policies like car insurance or life insurance
Comparing rates lets you choose the homeowners insurance policy that offers the best price for the coverage you want. Independent insurance agents in Mitchell make comparison shopping easy.
Mitchell Homeowners Can Be Compensated Following Burglaries
The burglary rate in South Dakota is lower than the national rate, but in Mitchell, it is higher. There are about 80 burglaries reported in this small city in a typical year.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 4.69
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in South Dakota: 3.47
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Mitchell: 5.59
You can reduce your chances of being burglarized by taking precautions such as using timed lights while you are away, keeping all entryways well-lit and unobstructed, and securing your home with deadbolt locks. Home security systems are especially effective theft deterrents. In fact, many insurance companies will offer discounts to policyholders who have them installed.
The good news is, if you are the victim of a burglary, your homeowners insurance can reimburse you for your loss and damage. Be sure to keep a copy of the police report because you will need it when you file a claim. Your independent insurance agent can offer support throughout the claims process if you have questions or are in need of guidance.
Mitchell Home Insurance Covers Many Catastrophic Events in SD
Your home insurance policy is designed to provide you with coverage against most of the risks you are likely to face as a homeowner in Mitchell. This includes hazards such as accidental fires, property crimes, and damaging weather events like severe storms, hail, and freezing temperatures.
- Number of federally declared disasters in South Dakota: 65
- Most common reasons for disasters in the state: Severe Storms and Fires
- Average number of tornadoes per year in South Dakota: 32.6
- Average amount of property damage per year in SD: $93.3 million
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year.
Winters in Mitchell can get extremely cold. The record low in this city was -50° F. These cold temperatures can lead to frozen, burst pipes and significant water damage to your home. Fortunately, this risk and many others are likely to be covered by your homeowners insurance policy. Although flooding caused by burst pipes is covered, flood damage caused by rising waters is not. If your home is located in or near a flood zone or is otherwise at risk for flood damage, be sure to ask your independent agent for assistance with acquiring a supplemental flood insurance policy through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
Liability Insurance for Mitchell Homeowners
Your homeowners insurance also provides you with personal liability insurance. This can cover you against many of the common liability lawsuits property owners are likely to face. Liability insurance is designed to cover expenses such as court costs, legal fees, and damages if you are sued for a covered event. Examples of times your homeowners liability insurance can cover you include if someone is severely injured on your property, if your child or pet causes significant injuries or property damage to someone outside your household, or if you find yourself accused of libel or slander for something you posted online.
If you want more liability coverage than your home insurance can provide, an independent insurance agent can also help you purchase an affordable umbrella insurance policy. Talk to your insurance agent to learn more about your options when it comes to homeowners liability insurance.
What about Insurance for Second Homes and Vacation Homes?
A house that is not your primary residence has additional risk factors and considerations that insurance providers will take into account when calculating rates. In some cases, these extra properties may need to be covered by different or supplemental insurance policies.
- Vacation homes that are frequently left unoccupied for long periods have an increased risk of property damage and property crimes. These houses may need to be covered by vacant home insurance during the time they are not in use.
- Second homes that serve as rental properties have higher liability risks but require less in the way of contents coverage. Landlord insurance provides the right balance of coverage for these types of properties and may be required by your insurer if there are tenants living in the property.
- If your additional property is located in a place that has a risk of floods, earthquakes, or sinkholes, you will need to buy supplementary policies to cover against these hazards, since none are covered by home insurance.
An independent insurance agent can help you find the best and most affordable policies to appropriately cover all of your residential properties.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Mitchell, SD?
When you work with an independent insurance agent, you can quickly and easily find the best homeowners policy to cover your Mitchell home. Independent agents are free to work with several different insurance providers, so they can shop around and make sure you are getting the coverage you need at the most competitive rate.
Contact an insurance agent in or near Mitchell to learn more. You can soon be comparing customized home insurance quotes from an assortment of highly-rated insurers.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.