With approximately 68,000 residents, Rapid City is South Dakota’s second-most populous city. Many are drawn to Rapid City because of its top-notch medical facilities, diverse educational opportunities, and varied arts and culture. If you own a house in this Midwestern city, you will want to be sure to protect your investment with a reliable home insurance policy. Independent Insurance Agents can help you find the best and most affordable insurance coverage for your Rapid City home. Find an insurance agent near you to learn more, and discover how easy it can be to start comparing customized homeowners insurance quotes.
Cost of Homeowners Insurance in Rapid City, SD
The average home insurance cost in this state is lower than the national average. However, in Rapid City, rates tend to run on the higher side.
- National average yearly premium: $1,173
- South Dakota average yearly premium: $1,096
- Rapid City average yearly premium: $1,277
Of course, the quotes you get from insurance companies are likely to differ from the average price shown above. This is because premiums are calculated based on a number of specific factors such as:
- The size, age, and value of your house
- Whether the property you are insuring is your primary residence
- The type of home you are insuring (e.g., single-family detached home, condominium, manufactured home, etc.)
- The crime rate and weather risks in your ZIP code
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with another policy like car insurance or life insurance
Comparing quotes lets you choose the homeowners policy that offers the coverage you want at the best price. Independent insurance agents in Rapid City make comparison shopping easy.
Rapid City’s Burglary Rate
The burglary rate in South Dakota is lower than the national average. But in Rapid City, burglaries are much more commonplace. Residents of this city report about 450 burglaries in a typical year.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 4.69
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in South Dakota: 3.47
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Rapid City: 6.44
Your home insurance can reimburse you for loss and damage caused by burglaries. Of course, it is preferable to avoid having your home broken into in the first place. You can take precautionary measures to lower your risk of being targeted by thieves, the most effective of which is having a burglar alarm. Many home insurance companies offer discounts to policyholders who have home security systems installed in their houses. Learn more about this and other potential discounts by talking to your local insurance agent.
Catastrophic Events in Rapid City
Your homeowners insurance is designed to cover you against many of the hazards you are likely to face as a property owner in Rapid City. This includes risks ranging from accidental fires to damaging weather events.
- Number of federally declared disasters in South Dakota: 65
- Most common reasons for disasters in the state: Severe Storms and Wildfires
- Average number of tornadoes per year in South Dakota: 32.6
- Average amount of property damage per year in SD: $93.3 million
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year.
Residents of Rapid City are most at risk for damage caused by severe storms, hail, and freezing temperatures. There is also a risk of damage caused by tornadoes, though the risk in this city is lower than throughout most of the state. That said, in 1991, an F3 twister touched down less than 9 miles from the Rapid City city center and caused millions of dollars in damage. Be aware that while damage caused by hazards like lightning, strong winds, and heavy snow are covered by your home insurance, flood damage is not. Fortunately, your local insurance agent can also help you secure an affordable flood insurance policy through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
Liability Insurance for Rapid City Homeowners
Homeowners insurance also provides policyholders with liability coverage. This personal liability insurance is designed to cover the various expenses (including court costs, legal fees, and damages) that you may accrue if you are sued for a covered event. Some examples of situations in which this personal liability coverage can protect you include:
- Negligence in upkeep to your home results in a guest falling and suffering serious injuries.
- Your child accidentally breaks a neighbor’s window while playing with friends.
- Your dog gets out of your yard and bites someone.
- A business sues you for libel or slander after you post a negative review online.
Your local insurance agent can explain your homeowners liability coverage in greater detail. If you wish to have higher liability limits than your home insurance policy can provide, your agent can also help you acquire a reasonably priced umbrella insurance policy.
Second Home and Vacation Home Insurance
Maybe you own a winter vacation home in Florida. Or perhaps you own a second house locally that you rent to students at one of the area's many colleges. If you own more than one home, you will need to cover all of your properties with appropriate home insurance. When a home is not your primary residence, it often has different needs when it comes to coverage.
- Vacation homes that are left unoccupied for several months out of the year have an increased risk of property damage. Vacant home insurance may be required while the house is not in use.
- Vacation houses that are located in areas that have a significant risk of floods, earthquakes, or sinkholes may need to have supplementary insurance policies because these hazards are not covered by home insurance.
- Second homes that are occupied by tenants have lower contents coverage needs, but higher liability risks. These houses need to be covered by landlord insurance.
Your local insurance agent can help you review the coverage needs of all your residential properties and can assist you with finding the best and most reasonably priced policies to insure them.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent?
The easiest way to find the best homeowners insurance policy is by working with an independent insurance agent. These agents work for you, not for a specific insurance provider, so you can be sure that you are getting trustworthy guidance as you shop for the home coverage you need at a price you can afford. Independent agents in Rapid City are ready to help.
Contact an insurance agent near you to start comparing customized homeowners insurance quotes.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.