Germantown, Tennessee is a suburb of Memphis with nearly 39,000 residents. Germantown has the lowest crime rate for any city of its size in Tennessee. Residents of this charming city are confident in their safety; the city boasts average police and emergency response times of 5 minutes or less. This tree-lined community also has over 700 acres of parkland, with a park within walking distance of every residence.
Despite all of the wonderful things about Germantown, homeowners are never completely immune to burglaries, fires, severe weather, and other events that can damage or destroy homes and property. Germantown homeowners need home insurance in order to protect their assets should the worst happen. Having reliable, responsive homeowners insurance means having peace of mind in the face of unpleasant events. Independent insurance agents in Germantown can help you find the best and most affordable insurance coverage for your home.
Cost of Homeowners Insurance in Germantown, TN
Tennessee is the 22nd most expensive state for home insurance in the US. The average cost of homeowners coverage in Germantown tends to be higher than both the state and national averages. This is probably due to higher property values in Germantown compared to many other cities in Tennessee.
- National average yearly premium: $1,173
- Tennessee average yearly premium: $1,149
- Germantown average yearly premium: $1,598
Comparing quotes from multiple insurance companies and making sure you are maximizing your discounts is the best way to make sure you’re getting the best rate on your Germantown home insurance. Expect your rates to be more or less than the average for your city, depending on individual risk factors such as:
- The size, age, and value of your house
- Whether the property is your primary residence or a second home
- The number of stories in your house and whether it has a basement
- The crime rate and weather risks in your ZIP code
- Your claims history and credit score
- The amount of coverage you need and your deductible
Every insurance company has a different formula for calculating insurance premiums. They want to predict how risky you are to insure or how likely you are to file a costly claim. If your property’s location comes with more hazards than most, expect to pay more. You will also pay more if your home will cost more to repair or rebuild than others. The best way to make sure you are getting the best price for your unique home is to compare quotes from multiple insurance companies. A local independent insurance agent can help you do just that and can guide you through the process to ensure that you are getting the coverage you need.
Burglary Rate in Germantown, TN
The home burglary rate in Germantown is significantly lower than both the state and national averages.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 4.69
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Tennessee: 6.06
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Germantown: 2.09
Your home insurance is designed to reimburse you for loss or damage following a break-in, theft, or even vandalism. But remember, you have to pay your deductible first, and your insurance company will handle the rest. Don’t wait until it’s too late. Take precautions to protect your home from burglaries, and remember that having a home security system is one of the best ways to keep burglars out. What’s more, homes with burglar alarms often qualify for extra discounts on home insurance.
Catastrophic Events in Tennessee
- Number of declared disasters in Tennessee: 69
- Most common reasons for disasters in the state: Severe Storms and Floods
- Average number of tornadoes per year in Tennessee: 29.1
- Average amount of property damage per year in Tennessee: $1,153,112,000
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year
Homeowners insurance is designed to cover you for a variety of hazards you face as a homeowner. Fires, severe weather, and break-ins can cause significant damage to your home, and without home insurance, you’d have to pay for repairs on your own. An insurance agent can help you review your structure and contents coverage limits so you can be sure that they are high enough to enable you to rebuild, repair, or replace if necessary.
Liability Insurance for Germantown Homeowners
Your home insurance policy covers your home’s structure and your belongings. It also includes liability coverage, which is designed to help you pay for a variety of expenses if you are sued for negligence. If someone is injured on your property, your liability coverage will pay for their medical expenses related to the accident. If they sue you for additional damages, your liability coverage pays for attorney fees, court costs, and any settlements or judgments that you are required to pay to the injured party. Consider these examples of when your homeowners liability coverage is invaluable:
- A guest in your home trips on loose carpeting and breaks her ankle.
- Your child hits a baseball through a neighbor’s window.
- Your dog bites a passerby.
- You are accused of libel or slander because of something you posted on social media.
You can learn more about liability insurance from your local independent insurance agent. You might find that you need more coverage than your home insurance policy allows. In this case, you can purchase a personal umbrella policy, which offers liability coverage beyond what is provided in your home or auto insurance policy.
Second Home and Vacation Home Insurance
If you own a second home, vacation home, or rental property, you need appropriate coverage for how each property is used.
- Vacation homes may only be occupied seasonally or on weekends. These properties are often targets for thieves, and property damage that occurs while you are gone can go unnoticed for long periods and get worse. Vacant home insurance may be needed in these situations.
- Landlord insurance can help you cover the specific risks you face if you rent a home to tenants.
A local independent insurance agent can help you review the unique coverage needs of any additional properties that you own, and can obtain competitive quotes to make sure you’re getting the best price.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent?
Independent insurance agents in your city can help you find a reliable, affordable home insurance policy. Independent agents aren’t tied to one company, so you can be sure you are getting honest, unbiased advice.
Contact an agent in Germantown to start comparing customized home insurance quotes.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.