If you have employees in the fast-growing city of Murfreesboro, you'll need to be sure that you're compliant with all state and federal laws regarding workplace safety. Still, workers sometimes get hurt or become ill on the job, which is why workers’ compensation insurance can be beneficial. But how can you find the best and most affordable coverage? Independent Insurance Agents are happy to help. These agents can match you up with insurers who specialize in covering businesses in your industry. They can then help you find the policy that offers the best value for your money. Contact an insurance agent in or near Murfreesboro to start comparing quotes.
Is Workers' Comp Insurance Required in Murfreesboro, TN?
No, although many employers in this city are required to have workers’ compensation coverage, smaller companies are typically exempt. The state of Tennessee requires all businesses that operate in the construction and coal mining fields to have workers' compensation coverage. For all other types of businesses, this coverage is required only if the employer has five or more workers, including family members and part-time workers in the count. You are not required to cover sole proprietors, LLC members, partners, or corporate officers; however, some business owners prefer to include these people in their policy’s coverage.
How Much Does Worker’s Compensation Insurance Cost in Murfreesboro?
As with business insurance, the cost for workers’ compensation will vary significantly from one company to the next. Your cost will be based mainly on the types of jobs your employees do and your company’s overall payroll. Every job has a classification code. Rates for each of these class codes are regulated by the Tennessee Department of Labor and Workforce Development. The more likely it is that a worker will suffer a significant injury while doing a particular job, the higher the assigned rate will be.
Insurance companies use these designated base rates when calculating your costs. Because commercial insurance providers are permitted to offer significant discounts and incentives, it's in your best interest to compare a few quotes before choosing a policy. The following are the average rates paid per every $100,000 in employee payroll for the three top industries in Murfreesboro, TN:
- Retail Trade: $1,230 a year
- Manufacturing: $4,510 a year
- Accommodation & Food Services: $1,620
These are just averages within these industries. Rates can vary according to more detailed information about the business. Workers at an automobile manufacturing plant are more likely to be injured on the job than workers who manufacture dental aligners. To find out how much a workers’ compensation policy will cost for your business, start comparing quotes with an independent agent.
Get a Workers' Comp Quote in Minutes
Let our independent agents do all the heavy lifting while you save.
What Does Workers’ Comp Insurance Cover in Murfreesboro, TN?
If you are required to have workers’ compensation but do not, your business can face large financial penalties and may even be forced to close down. Workers’ compensation insurance is designed to shield your employees from facing large financial losses because of work-related injuries and illnesses, and it also significantly reduces your company’s risk of a liability lawsuit. You can expect your Murfreesboro workers’ compensation policy to provide the following:
- Medical treatment coverage: Workers’ comp covers all costs associated with medical treatment and follow-up care for work-related illnesses and injuries. This includes full payment for necessary equipment and medication so that your employees do not have any out-of-pocket costs.
- Mileage reimbursement: If an injured worker has to travel more than 15 miles one way to receive appropriate medical care for a work-related injury or illness, workers’ compensation can reimburse them for their mileage and travel expenses such as meals and accommodations.
- Temporary disability coverage: If an employee needs more than one week to recuperate from a work-related injury or illness, they can receive a weekly benefit of 2/3 of their average weekly pay until a physician determines they are able to return to work.
- Light-duty work coverage: If a treating physician approves an employee to return to work in a light-duty capacity while recuperating, the employee must do so or risk losing their benefits. Because light-duty work often pays less than the employee was previously making, workers’ comp will reimburse the employee for 2/3 of the difference in pay.
- Permanent disability coverage: If a work-related injury or illness is so debilitating that the employee can never return to their job, workers’ compensation insurance can provide up to 450 weeks’ worth of compensation in an amount that is based on both the employee’s average wages and the severity of the injury, as assessed by an impairment rating.
- Death benefits: In the unfortunate event that a work-related injury or illness results in death, workers’ comp will cover up to $10,000 in burial expenses, and the employee’s spouse and dependent children can receive financial compensation. If the deceased worker had no spouse or dependents, $20,000 will be paid to the employee’s estate.
You can learn more about each of these benefits by talking to one of Murfreesboro’s independent insurance agents.
Why Might a Workers’ Compensation Claim Be Denied in Tennessee?
Sometimes, insurance companies may deny workers’ compensation claims. This may happen if your insurer believes that the injury was not actually work-related, was intentionally self-inflicted, or occurred while the employee was under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time of the accident. Claims may also be denied if the employee had refused to use provided safety equipment. If you or your employees feel that a workers’ compensation claim was unjustly denied, the decision can be appealed by filing a petition with the Tennessee Bureau of Workers’ Compensation.
Find the Best Workers’ Compensation Insurance in Murfreesboro, TN
If you are shopping for a reliable and suitable workers’ compensation policy to cover your Murfreesboro business, an independent agent can help by matching you up with an insurance provider that specializes in covering businesses like yours. Your agent can also help you compare rates from competing insurers so that you can be sure you are getting your policy at a competitive price. Find out how easy it can be to find the best workers’ compensation policy for your business.
Contact an insurance agent in or near Murfreesboro to learn more.
©2022, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.