The Bayou City area provides plenty of places where residents can enjoy boating and other water activities. Houstonians can take a short drive south to the coastal area to visit the Gulf of Mexico, Galveston Bay or Clear Lake. A short drive north yields a different experience with Lake Conroe in a forest of thick pines. Area residents can protect the investments they have made in their boats with a Houston, TX boat insurance policy.
An independent agent in the Trusted Choice® network can help you find the right policy by offering you a selection of Houston boat insurance quotes tailored to your specific needs. Find a local Trusted Choice member agent today to start comparing insurance policies and rates.
Is Houston Boat Insurance Really Necessary?
While boat insurance is not required under Texas state law, it can protect your investment and your finances in the event of an accident. Consider the following Texas boating statistics:
- Number of boat accidents, 2010: 152
- Number of boating-related injuries, 2010: 136
- Number of boating-related deaths, 2010: 27
In addition to making sure you are covered if you cause damages or injuries to a third-party, the right insurance policy can cover your expenses if an uninsured boater injures you or your passengers or damages your boat.
How Much Does Houston Boat Insurance Cost?
- The average personal boat insurance costs about $300 to $500 a year
- Insurance for personal watercraft (PWC) may cost less than $1 a day
- Liability limits typically start at $15,000 but can be raised with only a slight increase to your policy's premiums
Your insurance rate will depend on several factors including where and how often your boat is used, where and how it is stored when not in use, and whether or not it is frequently towed. Even your personal driving record can impact your coverage choice. Some examples of factors that affect insurance costs are:
- A bass boat with an outboard motor and a large sailboat will be put to different uses and therefore have different coverage requirements
- Some families may store their boat near their favorite area lake, while others may choose to tow personal watercraft
- Sports-related watercraft like wakeboard boats will have more liability concerns than a fishing boat or pontoon boat
Because boats differ by type and the way people use them, it is hard to predict what your own cost of insurance will be without first assessing your coverage needs and then obtaining and comparing policies and rates.
What Does Houston Boat Insurance Cover?
When purchasing a policy, boat owners can choose from a menu of coverage options. The following are common boat policy options:
- Liability coverage: Covers property damage and personal injury you may cause to others while operating your boat
- Property damage coverage: Covers your boat and the equipment stored inside the craft if they are damaged in a collision you caused
- Towing coverage: This can include both on-water and roadside towing assistance
- Medical payments coverage: Pays for the treatment of injuries sustained by you or your passengers in a collision you caused while operating your boat
- Uninsured/underinsured boaters coverage: If you suffer personal injury or property damage that is caused by an uninsured or underinsured boat owner, this will cover the unpaid costs
- Wreckage and fuel-spill clean-up coverage: If you are responsible for an accident, you will also be responsible for any necessary clean-up afterwards, and this can become quite costly. This insurance will cover the associated costs
How to Get Houston Boat Insurance Quotes
No two boat owners have exactly the same needs and personal preferences for boat coverage. Many people have a difficult time determining how much coverage they need and which coverage options are right for them. An agent in the Trusted Choice network can help.
Allow a local member agent to assist you assist you with obtaining and comparing policies and quotes so that you can make an informed decision about the right coverage for your needs and your budget. Contact a Trusted Choice agent near you today to learn more about Houston boat insurance.