The Lone Star State is a huge expanse of land with a very diverse population. Texans do a lot of driving – whether to work or to play – and if you’re one of them, you’ve probably given some thought to the cost of car insurance. How do you know you’re getting the best deal on your Texas auto insurance, and where is the best place to get it?
An independent agent in the Trusted Choice® network can help you find all the best Texas auto insurance deals, and will answer any questions you have about your policy. Your agent will help you compare multiple Texas auto insurance quotes and find the best value. Find a local member agent in your area today.
Texas Car Insurance Costs
- National average cost per year: $1,474
- Texas average cost per year: $1,620
- 14th most expensive premium in the US
The most recent information available as of 2017 shows that Texas average premium costs are $1,620, which is higher than the national average. Keep in mind that your insurer will take into account:
- Your driving record and experience
- The make, model, and year of your car
- Where you live and how much you drive
These and several other personal details will be assessed in terms of risk for the insurance company to cover. Your particular profile will define the premium the insurer offers you, and different insurance companies have different ways of evaluating your risks. That is why it’s important to compare several Texas car insurance quotes before you buy.
Texas Car Insurance Requirements
- Bodily injury liability: required
- Property damage liability: required
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP): not required
- Uninsured motorist: not required
- Minimum liability limits: 30/60/25
- Coverage up to $60,000 for all persons injured in an accident, subject to a limit of $30,000 for one individual, and $25,000 coverage for property damage.
While PIP insurance is not required in Texas, your agent is required to offer it to you. If you choose not to purchase personal injury protection, your decision will be kept on file with your insurance company.
Texans must purchase mandated minimum coverage in order to operate vehicles legally. Violators face fines that increase for multiple offenses. They are as follows:
- First offense : $150 to $350 fine
- Subsequent offenses: $350 to $2,000 fine
Texas Uninsured Motorists Data
- National uninsured motorists: 12.6%
- Texas uninsured motorists: 13.3%
- Texas average vehicle repair cost: $2,434
Since the percentage of uninsured Texans is higher than the national average, it makes sense to consider this coverage for your protection. In the last few years, the “Texas Sure” program has aimed to reduce the number of drivers without minimum coverage and reduce premiums for those drivers who do carry it. This program has a computerized database of vehicles and insurance policies. Police and other officials have access to this database, and they regularly verify coverage.
Texas does not require drivers to carry uninsured motorist coverage, but it may be suggested by your agent. This optional coverage can help you collect damages from your insurance company if you are in an accident caused by an uninsured motorist. It does not let the at-fault driver off the hook; your insurance company will have the option of trying to collect damages from the delinquent motorist.
Thefts in Texas
- National car theft rate (per 1,000 registered vehicles): 2.94
- Texas car theft rate (per 1,000 registered vehicles): 3.28
The Texas car theft rate is higher than the national average. Make sure you keep your investment safe by purchasing comprehensive Texas auto insurance, also known as "other than collision" coverage. The theft portion will help you recover financially if your car is stolen.
Find Texas Auto Insurance Quotes
Texas is a large state with a lot of insurers competing for business. Independent agents in the Trusted Choice network have access to many different carriers and can help you compare several Texas auto insurance quotes to find the right fit for your needs and budget.
A local, independent insurance agent can help you save money and time when you need to find the best policy and insurance company for your needs. Contact a local member agent in your area today to get the coverage you need for your security and peace of mind.