Lubbock, TX Car Insurance
Experts break down auto insurance costs, coverages, companies, and more.
From crashes on I-27 to fender-benders on 19th Street, accidents can happen anytime, anywhere, and to anyone. That is why if you own a car in Lubbock, you are required by Texas state law to carry car insurance. A good policy can ensure that an accident will not cause you to experience large financial losses.
Independent agents are available to help you find the best and most affordable policy to meet your coverage needs. Contact an insurance agent near you to get more information and to start comparing customized quotes from some of the best car insurance companies in Texas.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Lubbock, TX?
The average cost of car insurance in Texas is higher than the national average. Shopping around for the best rate has the potential to save you hundreds of dollars a year.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Texas average annual car insurance cost: $1,449
Car insurance costs will vary from one driver to the next. This is because they are calculated individually and are based on the following factors.
- The year, make, and model of the vehicle(s) you are insuring
- Your age, occupation, driving record, and even credit score
- Information about the other licensed drivers in your household
- Whether you own or rent your home
- The amount of liability insurance you want to purchase
- Which, if any, coverage options you want to include in your policy
- Whether you agree to online billing and payments
If you are buying your car insurance from the same insurance company that provides some of your other policies, like home insurance or renters insurance, you can buy them in what is referred to as a bundle. Bundling coverage enables you to get significant discounts on all your policies.
You may also be entitled to other car insurance discounts such as a safe driver discount or a good student discount. A good insurance agent will ensure that you are receiving all offered discounts for which you qualify.
What Does Lubbock Car Insurance Cover?
Car insurance policies are a mixture of required and optional coverage.
As a vehicle owner in Lubbock, you are required to have a policy that meets your state’s coverage requirements. In Texas, this means your policy must include the following.
- Liability insurance: This can cover injuries and property damage sustained by other people if you are at fault for an accident. By law your policy must meet or exceed the following coverage minimums:
- Bodily-injury liability coverage per person: $30,000
- Bodily-injury liability coverage per accident: $60,000
- Property damage liability coverage per accident: $25,000
Full coverage is not required by law, but it is usually required by lenders if you are financing your car and by dealerships if you are leasing it. Full coverage is designed to cover physical damage to your vehicle. It includes:
- Collision insurance: This can pay to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged or totaled in a collision, regardless of fault.
- Comprehensive insurance: This can pay to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged, totaled, or lost due to a a non-collision hazard such as a flood or a windstorm.
Most insurance companies will also offer several coverage options. These typically include things like:
- Uninsured motorist insurance: This can cover the costs associated with damage to your property as well as any medical treatments needed by you and your passengers if you are in a collision caused by an uninsured driver. All car insurance companies in Texas are required to offer it.
- Medical coverage: This can cover the cost of medical treatments for you and your passengers if you are injured in a collision, regardless of fault. In Texas, you can choose between these two coverages.
- Personal injury protection (PIP): This can provide a significant amount of coverage for things like medical treatments, ambulance rides, lost wages, prescriptions, prosthetics, and in-home care.
- Medical payments (Med-Pay): This costs less than PIP but it provides more limited coverage. It works well in conjunction with health insurance.
- Towing and roadside assistance: This can cover the cost for needed assistance if your vehicle becomes disabled while you are out on the road, such as if you get a flat tire, blow a head gasket, or need a jump-start.
- Gap insurance: This can pay off your car loan if your vehicle is totaled in a covered event and you owe more for it than it is worth. This coverage is typically beneficial in the first year or two of new-car ownership.
- Rental reimbursement coverage: This can cover the cost of renting a vehicle while repairs are being made to your own car following a covered event.
If you cause an accident and your liability limits are too low, you will be expected to make up the difference. A serious collision that involves multiple injures can get very expensive very quickly. That is why many vehicle owners in Lubbock buy more liability coverage than the state requires.
If you want liability coverage in higher amounts than your car insurance provider can offer, you can also purchase an umbrella insurance policy.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Is the Penalty for Driving without Insurance in Lubbock, TX?
Driving without insurance in Texas is a misdemeanor. If caught, uninsured drivers face the following penalties.
- Fines ranging from $175 to $300 for a first conviction and up to $1,000 for repeat offenders.
- The requirement to pay a surcharge fee of $250 a year for three years.
- The possible impoundment of your car for 180 days if you are repeat offender. You will also need to pay a $15/day impoundment fee.
- The suspension of your license and registration for two years if you cause a collision while uninsured.
In addition to these penalties, an uninsured driving conviction on your record can cause you to face higher car insurance rates for years to come. Despite this, more than one out of ten motorists in this state are operating uninsured vehicles.
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 13.0%
- Percentage of Texas drivers who are uninsured: 14.1%
That is why uninsured motorist insurance can prove beneficial. If your policy includes this optional coverage, you can rest assured that if an uninsured driver is responsible for a collision with your vehicle, you will have the compensation you deserve without the need to go through lengthy legal channels.
How High Is the Auto Theft Rate in Lubbock?
The auto theft rate in Texas is higher than the national average, and in Lubbock, the rate is even higher. Residents of this city report more than 1,000 auto thefts a year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 people: 2.29
- Texas auto theft rate per 1,000 people: 2.43
- Lubbock auto theft rate per 1,000 people: 4.73
Be aware that you can only be reimbursed for a stolen vehicle if your car insurance policy includes comprehensive coverage, which is optional. This insurance covers a wide-range of non-collision hazards.
If you lease your car or you are still paying for it, chances are good you have this coverage already. If not, you may want to inquire about how much it would cost to add comprehensive coverage to your car insurance policy.
How Can an Independent Insurance Agent in Lubbock Help?
Independent agents take the guesswork out of finding the best and most affordable coverage. These local agents can explain your various coverage options, answer your insurance-related questions, and help you compare prices from some of the best car insurance companies in Lubbock, Texas.
It doesn’t cost anything to talk to one of these experienced insurance professionals. Contact an independent insurance agent near you to start comparing customized car insurance quotes today.
©2023, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.