Tyler, Texas has over 104,991 residents and is known as the "Rose Capital of America." This rose-filled city was named after President John Tyler in the 1800s. Tyler is a big city with small-town charm.
If you live in Tyler, you'll want car insurance to drive on its streets. Find a local independent insurance agent and get the best coverage and pricing.
Car Insurance Requirements in Tyler, TX
Most states require minimum liability limits to drive their roads. In Texas, the legal limits you are supposed to carry are the same for every Texas city. Let's see what car insurance requirements Tyler, TX has:
- A minimum per person liability limit of $30,000
- A minimum per accident liability limit of $60,000
- A minimum of $25,000 in property damage liability
The minimum state-mandated limits are usually barely enough to get you by. To have proper car insurance protection, discuss coverage options with your independent agent. They can get quotes from a variety of carriers and can find you the right Tyler car insurance.
Other Car Insurance Coverages in Tyler, TX
Car insurance can be different for everyone. Your coverage and rates will be unlike your neighbor's, because you insure different people and vehicles. Your car insurance should be tailored to your specific needs. Some other coverage options that you can discuss with your agent are:
- Towing insurance: This pays for your covered vehicle to get towed.
- Gap insurance: This pays the difference between the value of an insured auto and the loan amount left when a total loss occurs.
- Comprehensive insurance: This pays for property damage to your vehicle when it's not caused by a collision.
- Collision insurance: This pays for property damage to another driver's auto or property when a collision loss occurs.
- Rental car insurance: This pays for a rental car to replace your auto when it's damaged by a covered loss.
- Medical payments insurance: This pays for a smaller medical expense from a claim without using your liability limit.
If you're unsure whether you have any of these coverage options, it may be time to speak with an independent agent. They can help you decide which coverage your Tyler auto policy needs.
What about Uninsured Drivers in Tyler, TX?
The added risk of being a driver in today's society is that not everyone on the road has car insurance. This puts you and your family at risk and could mean a huge loss if you're not adequately insured.
- National percentage of uninsured drivers: 13.0%
- Texas percentage of uninsured drivers: 14.1%
Tyler has a share of that 14.1% of uninsured drivers, and that's why you need uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. It will pay for the other party's lack of coverage if you are involved in a car accident with them. That way, if you are injured or have property damage due to an uninsured driver, uninsured motorist insurance will pick up the bill.
Vehicle Thefts in Tyler, TX and Your Car Insurance
The theft rates in an area will affect your auto, home, and business insurance premiums. Carriers are transferring your risk to their policy, which means they need to take in all that could go wrong. Crime is one of the items on the list, and the insurance companies rate accordingly.
Theft Rates (per 1,000 vehicles):
- National theft rate: 2.37
- Texas theft rate: 2.48
- Tyler theft rage: 2.59
Theft in Tyler is slightly higher than the state and national averages. However, it's a large town, and where there are more people, there is more crime. Discuss how Tyler's theft rates affect your car insurance premiums with your agent.
What Is the Price of Car Insurance in Tyler, TX?
Carriers look at each insured on an individual basis. Your car insurance rates are based on you and the vehicle you are insuring. Outside factors do help decide the costs of insurance, but your premiums are specific to you.
Car Insurance Premium Rating Factors:
- Crime rate
- Your credit score
- Your insurance score
- Your age
- The coverage selected
- The vehicles and drivers insured
- The motor vehicle records of each driver
- The value of each vehicle
- Where you live
- If you have any young drivers in the household
While the above factors will determine your rates, it's good to know the national and state averages. Your rates could be higher or lower than these, but it may give you an idea of pricing. Let's look at the numbers:
- Average national annual car insurance rate: $1,005
- Average Texas annual car insurance rate: $1,823
To know what your actual car insurance premium will be, you need to run the numbers. Your independent agent can help you find rates that fit within your budget.
Should You Drive for Uber in Tyler, TX?
Since Tyler is a larger town, Uber or another for-hire livery service may be needed. Be cautious about thinking you have coverage under your personal auto insurance policy. Most individual policies will not provide protection and exclude coverage for for-hire livery service drivers.
If you are transporting groceries, packages, or people from one place to another, you have a business. Most Uber drivers will want to have a business auto policy in place. An independent agent can quote coverage to make sure you're protected while transporting people or things.
Connect with a Tyler, TX Independent Agent
If you work with an independent insurance agent, it's free and saves you money. Advice from a trusted adviser is priceless and can help you decide which car insurance is right for you.
On TrustedChoice.com, you can connect with a local independent agent in minutes. An agent can quote coverage and rates with multiple carriers, so you never have to comparison shop again. Get connected today.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.
City of Tyler