Condominiums are becoming an increasingly popular housing option in Texas cities. Some metropolitan areas in the state are well known for urban sprawl and long commutes. As a result, many downtown employees are trading in suburban homes for urban condominium and townhome complexes. Vacation condos are also appearing in recreational areas like the Gulf Coast and Texas Hill Country. Whether your condo is your residence, vacation home, or rental property, you will want to take some time to understand and compare Texas condo insurance policies.
Any homeowners policy can be complicated, but since it covers such an important asset, it is important to thoroughly consider your options. A local agent in the Trusted Choice® network can make it easy to buy the best available Texas condo insurance for you and your family. Many of these professionals also live in your community and know the market well. They work independently of any specific insurance company and can help you compare multiple Texas condo insurance quotes. Captive agents can only offer you products from one insurer. Contact a Trusted Choice network member agent today to save time and money.
What Is the Cost of Texas Condo Insurance?
Condo insurance is also known as HO-6 homeowners insurance. It is a type of traditional homeowners policy, but some of the coverage differs.
- Most condominium and townhome complexes have a building association that carries the master policy on the structure of the condo complex and any common areas.
- Condo insurance usually covers only the property inside the unit.
- Like a typical home policy, condo insurance may also include liability and relocation assistance.
The average Texas homeowners insurance premium is $1,560 a year. Condo insurance may run less than a comparably valued homeowners policy. However, since condominium units are often located in high-value areas like urban centers or recreation spots, the condo values may exceed those of residential homes. You might expect property values to be higher in urban Dallas or the Galveston shore than in the surrounding suburbs.
The best way to find whether or not your condominium policy is reasonably priced is to run an updated comparison on a variety of insurers. Your local Trusted Choice member agent can provide that information if you already own a unit or are planning to buy one.
Texas Condo Insurance Discounts
Condo residents may qualify for a variety of Texas condo insurance discounts that are similar to many home insurance discounts. Your member agent in the Trusted Choice network can help you determine the best ways to get the lowest possible rates. Here are some common ways to reduce rates:
- Multiple policy discounts
- Fire and burglar alarms
- Avoid non-essential claims
- Discounted billing methods
What Does Texas Condominium Insurance Cover?
Condo owners definitely need to evaluate insurance, but condo renters may also need their own protection. Renters policies are usually similar to typical apartment renters insurance. Consider some of these differences between a condominium policy for an owner and a renter.
- Condominium owners who live in their units will need to insure property they own contained within the condo. This may include flooring, drapes, furniture, and all personal possessions.
- Condo renters are probably more concerned with insuring their personal property, such as TV sets, clothing, and jewelry.
- Landlords who rent out their condos will need to cover any personal property they own within the units that is not covered by the master building policy. This may include flooring and large fixed appliances.
In any case, Texas condo insurance can also provide liability coverage. It protects the insured individual in case somebody claims that negligence caused injuries or property damages. Landlords, renters, and resident owners could all be subject to a liability claim. A local Trusted Choice member agent will be happy to explain your own coverage options based on your unique situation.
Compare Texas Condo Insurance Quotes
Regardless of whether you own or rent a condo, your home and contents are important assets. That’s why it is so important to see a selection of Texas condo insurance quotes before you buy. A local and independent Trusted Choice member agent can supply free rate quotes, advice, and professional service. Find your Trusted Choice member agent today to learn how to save time and money now and into the future.