The establishment of the schools that would later become Texas Woman’s University and the University of North Texas, coupled with the city's connection to the rest of the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, caused Denton to expand rapidly and become the vibrant city it is today. If you own a home in this growing and important Texas city, you will want to be sure you have a suitable Denton, TX homeowners insurance policy.
It is easy to find an independent insurance agent in the Trusted Choice® network with an office here in the city. These agents can help you compare Denton home insurance quotes from multiple top-rated companies and assist you with selecting policy options and coverage amounts. You can expect personalized service and competitive price quotes when you contact a member agent about your Denton homeowners insurance needs.
Cost of Homeowners Insurance in Texas
- National yearly premium average: $1,034
- Texas yearly premium average: $1,661
- 3rd most expensive premium in the US
Your own rate of insurance will vary based on a number of factors as indicated below.
How Much Will My Denton Homeowners Insurance Cost?
Policy averages should be used only as a reference to help you get an idea of how much you might pay for your own Denton homeowners insurance policy. The price of your policy may be significantly higher or lower than that rates listed above. The only way to ensure that you are not paying too much for your policy is to obtain and compare a variety of quotes from different insurers.
Your home insurance costs depend on many factors, including:
- The value of your home
- The location of your home
- The age and materials used in the building of your home
- The amount of property coverage you buy
- The amount of liability coverage you buy
- The amount of your deductible
- The insurance company you choose
You may also qualify for policy discounts that can significantly lower your rates. Many insurers will offer discounts for home improvements, like repaired or rebuilt roofs that hold up better in wind storms, for example.
You can also frequently get policy discounts for having deadbolt locks, burglar alarms and smoke alarm systems that connect directly with the fire company. Finally, most insurance companies offer discounts when you bundle coverage, so you may want to consider insuring your home and auto with the same company, for example.
Number of Catastrophes in Texas and the US:
- National number of catastrophes: 19,033
- Number of catastrophes in Texas: 1,935
- National number of tornadoes: 1,233
- Number of tornadoes in Texas: 221
- National property damage from weather: $5,511,270,000
- Property damage from weather in Texas: $1,026,150,000
Denton lies on the southern edge of "Tornado Alley." Homes here face a higher-than-average risk of damage caused by tornadoes and other wind storms. Because this area is very densely populated, chances are fairly high that a twister that touches down nearby will result in some type of property damage.
Homeowners insurance can protect your finances from major hits after catastrophes like fires and storms. Check your coverage regularly to make sure that the limits and coverage amounts for different catastrophes are appropriate. A change in the value of your home, any additional high-value items you've purchased or inherited, and any natural disasters that have recently occurred may be good indicators that you need to review your coverage and make sure you have the proper amounts to help you get back on your feet.
Theft in Texas:
- National number for burglaries: 37,814
- Texas number of burglaries: 190,898
Even if you live in a fairly safe area of the state, you are still at risk of becoming victim of burglaries, vandalism, and other property crimes.
Your homeowners insurance policy will compensate you for losses and property damage to your home that results from theft and vandalism. Being burglarized can be very stressful, but knowing that you have an insurance policy to compensate you for your losses can make things a little easier.
What Does Denton Homeowners Insurance Cover?
A typical home insurance policy will include the following types of coverage:
- Structural coverage: This includes compensation for damage to the structure of your home and to outlying structures, such as fencing and detached garages. It's a good idea to investigate the kinds of compensation you receive after you make a claim. Actual cash value (ACV) coverage provides replacement and repair funds less depreciation, while replacement cost coverage can provide compensation at the current market price of repairs and replacements. Talk to your agent about the best option for your situation.
- Contents coverage: This covers the things inside your house up to the policy limits of certain categories. If you own very valuable property that exceeds these limits, such as original artwork or family heirlooms, you may need to purchase additional endorsements in order to be fully covered. An agent in the Trusted Choice network can help you determine your coverage needs.
- Liability coverage: This covers you in the event that someone can show that your actions or negligence caused them to become injured or suffer property damage while on your property. This will also provide you with coverage if you are sued for libel or slander and may even cover you for damage caused by your children or pets. Speak with a Trusted Choice member agent to learn more.
- Relocation assistance coverage: Also known as loss-of-use coverage, this helps you cover the cost of temporary housing if a covered event renders your home uninhabitable.
It is very important that you are aware of what does and does not qualify as a covered event under your Denton homeowners insurance plan. For example, you may have to get endorsements or separate policies for damage from a tornado, hurricane or earthquake.
In addition, flood damage is almost always excluded from home insurance policies. The only way to get coverage is through a flood insurance policy from the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). An agent in the Trusted Choice network can give you more information about Denton flood insurance and can help you secure a policy.
Save on Home Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
Start Comparing Denton Home Insurance Quotes Today
Comparison shopping for a home insurance policy on your own can be frustrating and time consuming. You may find it difficult to compare policies while paying attention to the details. Fortunately, an agent in the Trusted Choice network can help. By acquiring a variety of competitively priced policies for you and then helping you compare them, a Trusted Choice member agent can make it easy for you to make an informed decision.
If you are like many local home owners, you take great pride in your home and value your personal property. Contact a Trusted Choice member agent today to learn more about Denton homeowners insurance.