This city’s colorful history includes a turbulent period as a cowboy stop along the famous Chisholm Trail. In the 20th century, oil exploration transformed the city again. Now, the second largest city in the vast Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW) metroplex is one of America’s fastest growing cities and is rated one of the most livable communities in the country. If you own a home in this lively city, you will want to be sure to find a good Fort Worth, TX homeowners insurance policy.
You can turn to an independent insurance agent in the Trusted Choice® network for assistance with finding the right policy. These agents can help you understand your many policy options and can provide you with competitive Fort Worth home insurance quotes to compare. Contact a member agent near you to learn more about Fort Worth homeowners insurance.
Cost of Homeowners Insurance in Texas
- National yearly premium average: $1,034
- Texas yearly premium average: $1,661
- 3rd most expensive premium in the US
An interesting thing to note is that the city has more than 100 natural gas wells within its borders. Some local companies that managed to sell mineral rights may have benefited from these gas wells, but insurers frequently consider them to be potential hazards.
This city also contains a fair amount of new developments and historical neighborhoods like Six Points. Insurance companies consider not only a house’s value when they calculate coverage rates but also its age and construction methods.
What Does Fort Worth Homeowners Insurance Cover?
The basic offerings of Fort Worth homeowners insurance are fairly consistent across different companies. These policies include coverage for:
- Property: This is the coverage type that most people think of first. It covers damage to the structure of the house and other outlying structures like garages and fences.
- Home contents: Your personal possessions are valuable. This coverage provides compensation for damage to your personal property including such things as your wardrobe, furniture and electronics and for home improvements including flooring, light fixtures and appliances.
- Liability insurance: This covers third-party damage and injury claims against the homeowner. It can also provide coverage for charges of libel or slander. This liability coverage includes any associated court costs and legal fees.
- Relocation assistance: If a home is rendered uninhabitable because of a covered incident, this policy option can provide compensation for the costs associated with temporary lodging.
Keep in mind that these policies only pay out on claims for covered events. Typical home insurance policies do not cover flood, sinkhole or earthquake damage. Supplemental policies may be necessary.
Number of Catastrophes in Texas and the US
- National number of catastrophes: 19,033
- Number of catastrophes in Texas: 1,935
- National number of tornadoes: 1,233
- Number of tornadoes in Texas: 221
- National property damage from weather: $5,511,270,000
- Property damage from weather in Texas: $1,026,150,000
Major natural threats in the area are windstorms and floods. The entire DFW metropolitan area is a part of North Texas that experiences a high number of tornadoes. Although the city usually has a subtropical climate, the area does have freezing days and hail storms from time to time.
Theft in Texas
- National average for burglaries: 37,814
- Texas number of burglaries: 190,898
The number of crimes in relation to the number of residents determines a city's crime rate. By this standard, Fort Worth has an average overall crime rate for a city of its size. In contrast, nearby Dallas has a notably high crime rate.
Although your Fort Worth homeowners insurance policy will cover loss and damage caused by burglaries or vandalism, being the victim of a property crime can be stressful. You can take a couple of steps to increase your security:
- Look into a home security system. Doing so can reduce the threat of burglaries and potentially earn you a significant home policy discount that will offset the cost.
- Get enough coverage. Some of the more valuable items in your home may require you to purchase additional riders. A home inventory can help you estimate the worth of your possessions and simplify the process of making an insurance claim.
Comparing Fort Worth Home Insurance Quotes
When you need to purchase a new home policy or wish to make sure your old coverage is still competitively priced, contact a Trusted Choice network agent for assistance. These local agents can answer your questions, provide coverage advice and give you a variety of affordable rate quotes from a number of insurance companies.
Most homeowners invest a lot of time and money in their homes and property. Make sure that your investment is suitably protected. Contact a local Trusted Choice agent today to learn more about Fort Worth homeowners insurance.