McAllen lies at the southern tip of Texas, right across the Rio Grande from Reynosa, Mexico. Since 2000, the city has increased in size by almost 25 percent. If you live in this growing Rio Grande Valley city, be sure you find the right McAllen, TX homeowners insurance to cover your home and possessions.
Trusted Choice® agents work independently of any one insurer, and can help you compare McAllen homeowners insurance quotes from several companies. Find tailored coverage plans by contacting a member agent today.
Cost of Homeowners Insurance in Texas
- National yearly premium average: $1,034
- Texas yearly premium average: $1,661
- 3rd most expensive premium in the US
Current home values vary widely within the state and within the city’s metropolitan area, so it is necessary to review personalized quotes to get an idea of your own insurance cost. Insurers will consider many unique factors like your house’s value, prior claims, and even building methods when they offer you a rate quote.
Just as real estate values are not the same in the neighborhood of Sharyland Plantation as they are in the southern part of town, home insurance rates will not be the same for two distinct homes.
McAllen Homeowners Insurance Coverage Types
Even though no two homeowners are likely to get the same insurance rates, the actual coverage provided by most home policies may be very similar. These are basic coverage types included in a local homeowners policy:
- Property damage: covers the structure of the house, garage, and outbuildings
- Home contents: covers your personal belongings, like electronics, clothing, and furniture
- Liability insurance: protects you from the cost of a bodily injury claim, or property damage claim against you, up to the limits of your policy
- Relocation assistance or “Loss of Use” coverage: pays the cost of temporary housing if your home is damaged by a covered event
When you purchase coverage, make sure you know what is not covered. Commonly covered events include fire, strong wind, hail, and burglary. Some hazards, like water damage from natural floods, and wildfires, are excluded from McAllen homeowners insurance policies. You can purchase flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program. You may also be able to find special coverage for events like wildfires, earthquakes, and sinkholes, as separate riders on your policy.
Number of Catastrophes in Texas and the US
- National number of catastrophes: 19,033
- Number of catastrophes in Texas: 1,935
- National number of tornadoes: 1,233
- Number of tornadoes in Texas: 221
- National property damage from weather: $5,511,270,000
- Property damage from weather in Texas: $1,026,150,000
Texas suffers more property damage than almost any other state, and it takes the brunt of hits when it comes to tornadoes.
The region where McAllen is located has a semi-arid climate, with long and hot summers. Winters are cooler, but may still be considered fairly warm by most Americans. Gulf Coast hurricanes can drop an unusual amount of rain on the region sometimes, and this can result in wind damage and flash floods. Flood insurance takes thirty days to become active, so be sure you are prepared with the right policy before the bad weather begins.
Theft in Texas
- National average number for burglaries: 37,814
- Texas number of burglaries: 190,898
Texas has a high number of burglaries compared to the national average, so it pays to protect your house and the things inside of your house with adequate home contents insurance. Some local insurers will offer you a discounted price if you install a home burglary system too.
Find McAllen Home Insurance Quotes
If you make your home in this growing South Texas city, or if you plan to move here in the future, a local, independent Trusted Choice agent can make it easy to find the right McAllen homeowners insurance. These network agents will help you compare McAllen home insurance quotes and provide you with answers to your coverage questions.
Homes are the biggest assets that many Americans own. Make sure to get the right protection for your need and budget.