There are dozens of manufactured homes on the local market as more and more Austin residents turn to this style of housing because of its affordability and convenience. Some models appear to be mobile homes but many are set up so they are almost indistinguishable from traditional “stick” houses. If you are planning to purchase a mobile home here, take the time to understand Austin, TX mobile home insurance.
An independent agent in the Trusted Choice® network can assist you with answers to your coverage questions and provide free Austin manufactured home insurance quotes. One of these local agents can help you select the right policy options and find affordable rates. Contact a member agent today to get started.
What Should You Know About Manufactured Homes?
A manufactured home is the same thing as a mobile home, but the terminology officially changed with updated HUD construction standards. Here are some facts about mobile and manufactured homes in this area:
- Average manufactured home building costs per square foot, 2006: $40
- Average traditional home building costs per square foot, 2006: $100
- TX mobile homes as a ratio of all housing units, 2008: 7%
- Local ratio of mobile homes to all housing: 1.8%
- Estimated cost of new mobile home insurance vs. home insurance: 50% of the cost as for a similarly sized house
There are two main reasons why families consider purchasing manufactured houses these days.
- They are cheaper than traditionally built houses.
- They are much faster to construct than traditionally built houses.
But some insurers may consider them riskier to cover than traditional homes because of the different construction methods and building materials. However, a Fannie Mae report actually says that incorrect perceptions of modern manufactured homes could account for some of the higher rates. Brand new mobile homes, constructed to current building standards, may be considered much safer than older models.
This illustrates the importance of finding a good insurer who is friendly towards manufactured housing. A local independent agent can help you find the right insurer for your needs.
What Kind of Coverage Can You Buy for a Mobile Home?
When you purchase your coverage, you will probably get a package of different types of coverage. This may be similar to a traditional homeowners policy. You can discuss the specifics of any policies with your local agent to be certain that you understand what you are purchasing.
- Homeowners liability: This covers you against claims by others.
- Property damage: This covers your actual home and possibly other structures on your property.
- Medical payments: This can help pay medical bills in case a resident is injured for a covered reason.
- Personal property: This covers the contents of your house. Personal possessions like your clothes, jewelry and furniture might be included unless you add additional riders to your policy to cover them.
You might also need other types of coverage that are not included in a basic policy. This city is in a part of central Texas known as “flash flood alley.” Flood insurance is not included in typical home policies, and you may have to purchase additional coverage from the National Flood Insurance Program.
Selected Mobile Home Ownership Costs Estimates
- Estimated cost of mobile home insurance: $1,200 per $100,000 value
- Current listed Austin mobile home sales price range: $15,000 to $95,000
- Mean local sales price, 2009: $37,953
- Average Texas homeowners insurance premium: $1,560
- Local yearly estimated homeowners insurance average premium: $1,118
These numbers might help you come up with a rough estimate of your own Austin mobile home insurance costs. While the home’s value is one important factor in estimating your rates, insurers will also consider other factors. The age, condition and building materials will also be taken into account by a typical insurer.
Get Mobile Home Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
Austin Mobile Home insurance Discounts
There are some things that you can do that will help you earn lower premiums. For example, taking measures to reduce risks may help you save money on insurance while also protecting your house.
- Securely anchored mobile homes, set on a fixed foundation, are considered safer than homes that are just placed upon the ground.
- Late model homes are generally considered much safer than older ones. In fact, some older manufactured houses may be uninsurable because they do not conform to the latest building standards.
- Simple safety devices like burglar and fire alarms can reduce your damage risks and earn premium discounts.
- Some insurers will offer you a discount if you sign up for automatic payments or pay for six months to a year in advance.
Is a Modular Home Different Than a Manufactured Home?
- Both mobile homes and manufactured home are constructed in a factory and delivered to a home site.
- Modular homes consist of factory-built parts that are delivered to a site. The house is constructed on the site according to local building standards.
Because of the differences in building methods and construction materials, modular homes are considered similar to traditional houses, and this can also make them cheaper to insure.
Compare Austin Manufactured Home Insurance Quotes
Comparing various policies and rates is the first step in finding the right coverage for your mobile home. However, contacting multiple insurance providers to compare Austin manufactured home insurance quotes, and reviewing them side by side can be a time-consuming and difficult task for the average mobile homeowner.
Fortunately, a local member agent in the Trusted Choice network can make this task much simpler by providing free competitive rate quotes and coverage suggestions. Contact one of these member agents today for more information about Austin mobile home insurance.