A warm and sunny climate makes motorcycles a popular mode of transportation in the Bayou City. Whether you own a chopper, a sleek sport bike, or just ride dirt bikes on the weekend, Houston offers plenty of open highways and country roads to explore. Motorcycles are a way of life for many, and get much better gas mileage than other vehicles. However, riding a motorcycle presents special risks, so it is important to find the right Houston, TX motorcycle insurance to protect yourself and your investment from the financial effects of an accident.
An independent agent in the Trusted Choice® network is always nearby and ready to help. These local agents show you the right coverage for your bike, and offer a variety of Houston motorcycle insurance quotes from several insurance companies. Find a member agent today for customized plans and competitive rates.
Houston Motorcycle Legal Requirements
- Take a D.P.S. motorcycle basic safety class
- Obtain a Texas motorcycle license
- For street bikes, purchase Texas motor vehicle registration
- For off-road bikes, purchase Texas off highway vehicle registration
- Get minimum liability coverage: 30/60/25
- Liability up to $60,000 for all persons injured in an accident, with a limit of $30,000 for one individual, and $25,000 coverage for property damage.
- Wear an approved helmet (some exceptions apply)
Helmets are technically required, but many riders qualify for an exemption. Some exemptions include being over age 21, having health insurance, and completing an approved motorcycle safety class. You can contact the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) for more information about these requirements. Since helmets are proven life-savers, it is always a good idea to wear one whenever possible.
The Texas Off Highway Vehicle Program (OHV) only requires registration of off-road vehicles on public trails. If your sport or dirt bike never travels on public roads, you have different licensing and coverage requirements. A local agent can speak with you about the special requirements for your off-road bike.
Motorcycle Cost Estimates
- Average price of a new motorcycle, 2009: $12,304
- Liability insurance cost estimates for an adult with a good driving record: $200 - $400
- Full coverage cost estimate for an adult with a good driving record: $400 - $800
Houston motorcycle insurance rates will be slightly different for each individual. These prices are based upon many unique factors like the owner’s age, driving history, and home ZIP code. A member agent can help you compare different insurers to find the best deal.
The way you use your bike can also affect your rates. If you store it for weekend rides you may pay less than if you use your motorcycle to commute to work on the 610 Loop every day. Similarly, off-road bikes will be treated differently than street legal bikes. A local agent is a great source of information on the details of costs and coverage for your specific set of circumstances.
Motorcycle Insurance Discounts
Many motorcycle owners have an opportunity to save money by searching for insurers who will offer them discounts for things they do to reduce risks or make billing simpler, such as:
- Take an approved safety course
- Receive a bundling discount for also insuring your other vehicles or home with the same company
- Install anti-theft devices
- Keep a clean driving record
- Pay promptly, with automatic debits, or in advance
Houston Motorcycle Insurance Types
Basic liability coverage is the legal requirement for riding on the streets, but it is wise to protect your investment with coverage that can help you repair or replace your bike after an accident. These are some of the most common forms of motorcycle coverage:
- Property liability Insurance: This covers another person’s property in the event you are believed to have caused the accident. It pays a portion of the repair costs, and your legal defense if you are sued.
- Bodily injury liability insurance: This compensates another person for injury related expenses and court fees, if you are believed to have caused an accident. It is a good idea to purchase as much liability coverage as you can afford, because a lawsuit against you can cause huge financial difficulty.
- Collision: This covers your own motorcycle in the event of an accident that you caused.
- Medical payments: This can help cover medical bills from an accident.
- Comprehensive: This covers non-accident related damages to your property. Examples could include storms, theft, or vandalism.
- Uninsured/Underinsured motorists: This covers you in case you are hit by an uninsured or hit-and-run motorist.
- Roadside assistance: This is similar to a motor club. You can call for a tow, battery charge, or flat tire fix.
This may seem like a long list of coverage types just to insure one motorcycle. You can select the required liability coverage you need, or purchase a package which will bundle multiple kinds of insurance. A local agent can help you select the right coverage for your needs and budget.
Get Houston Motorcycle Insurance the Easy Way
Finding sensible coverage that works with your budget does not have to be hard. A local agent in the Trusted Choice network can talk with you about your bike, suggest policy options, and help you compare prices.
Get in touch with one of these agents right away for more information about Houston motorcycle insurance quotes and coverage from a variety of insurance providers.