It is not surprising that recreational vehicles are very popular in the large Gulf Coast city of Houston. This city and its surrounding areas provide several tourist attractions and convenient RV parks that can be enjoyed by visitors and residents. In fact, a recent USA Today article listed some local area campgrounds among the best RV parks in the country. If you are one of the many residents in this city who owns a recreational vehicle, be sure that you have a suitable Houston, TX RV insurance policy in place.
An independent agent in the Trusted Choice® network can help you shop for the coverage you need. These local agents can explain your policy options and help you compare a variety of Houston motorhome insurance quotes so that you can be sure you are getting a great policy at a competitive price.
Houston RV Information
- Cost of coverage for a trailer or 5th wheel RV: $170 - $1,000 per year
- Cost of insurance offered by an RV rental company: $15 - $75 per day
- Approximate cost of Class A motorhome insurance: $1,000 - $1,300 per year
- Approximate cost of Class C RV insurance: $800 - $3,000 per year
- Texas required liability insurance minimums: $25,000 property damage, $60,000 total injury, $30,000 for each injured person
You may be able to partially cover camper trailers or 5th wheels with an extension on your auto insurance policy. Any motorized vehicle, however, will need to have its own liability insurance. Your coverage costs will depend on your driving record, the type and value of the vehicle you own, how frequently you use it, and other factors.
What Is Houston RV Insurance?
If you own a recreational vehicle or motorhome, you may have invested a lot of money into your purchase. You can protect it with liability and property insurance coverage. RV insurance is unique in that it offers all the coverage you would expect with a vehicle insurance policy, along with many of the options you look for in a home insurance policy.
Whether you need to insure a large motor coach or a smaller camper van, an RV policy can cover it. There are several different types and classes of RVs, and insurance costs differ from type to type. Some of the more popular RV types in Houston include:
- Class A motorhomes: These function as both a vehicle and a home and are the largest type of motorhome. They might be as big as a city bus.
- Class B motorhomes: These are also referred to as camper vans or conversion vans. They are similar in size to any full-sized vans.
- Truck campers: These are also referred to as 5th wheel trailers. They typically ride partially in a truck bed and are supported by a fifth wheel, but some types may be anchored fully on the truck bed.
- Trailer campers: These are towed campers that are transported as trailers. They are not motorized.
What Does Houston RV Insurance Cover?
There are many different coverage options available with an RV insurance policy. Coverage you can expect to find with any Houston RV policy includes:
- Liability insurance: This will cover the costs of property damage or bodily injury you cause to others if you are responsible for a collision while operating your RV. RV owners should purchase high amounts of liability coverage since their larger, heavier vehicles can cause a great deal of damage.
- Collision insurance: This will cover the costs of damages sustained by your RV after a collision.
- Medical payments insurance: This will cover the cost of medical treatment for you and your passengers, if you are injured due to a collision.
- Comprehensive insurance: This covers damages to your vehicle due to causes other than collision. This can include damage caused by heavy winds, fire, tornadoes, floods, and vandalism.
- Contents insurance: Because RVs are used as vacation homes, you are likely to carry a lot of valuable personal property inside. This coverage includes your personal belongings as well as appliances kept in your camper.
- Roadside assistance: This covers the costs for towing or assistance if your vehicle becomes disabled on the road.
- Emergency assistance: This provides you with temporary housing if a covered event leaves your RV uninhabitable while you are using it as a home.
- Full-timers insurance: This provides additional specialized insurance coverage for those who use their RVs as their primary residence. It provides liability coverage similar to that of a homeowners policy.
Save with Houston RV Insurance Discounts
If you want to save money, it may pay to shop around for insurers who will offer you the possibility of policy discounts. Many insurers will give discounts for:
- Good driving history: Drivers with no prior claims, accidents, or traffic tickets can expect to pay less.
- Multiple policy discounts: Insuring your other vehicles or your home with the same company might save you money on all of your policies.
- Vehicle safety systems: Equipping your motorhome or trailer with a theft prevention system can reduce your risks and save you money on your insurance rates.
- Automatic debits or payment in advance: Many insurers will offer a small discount for paying in advance or setting up automatic debits.
Compare Houston Motorhome Insurance Quotes
As with any insurance policy, when you are shopping for the right RV insurance, it is a good idea to comparison shop. That way, you can be sure that you are getting a policy that provides all the coverage you need at a reasonable rate. It can be easy to find the right policy. Simply let an agent in the Trusted Choice network assist you.
These independent agents can help you determine how much coverage you need and which policy options are right for you. They can then obtain a variety of policies for your review and help you compare them. Get in touch with a local member agent now to get assistance with finding the right Houston RV insurance.