Find the Best Car Insurance Quotes & Options in Utah
The current average cost of car insurance in Utah is $1,059 per year, which is quite a bit cheaper than the national average of $1,311. In fact, Utah overall ranks number 40 for the most expensive car insurance prices in the nation, or among the cheapest 11 states overall. More affordable prices should allow drivers to assemble a car insurance policy that includes all the coverage they really need, beyond just the state's minimum requirements.
A Utah independent insurance agent can help you put together the right kind of car insurance policy for you. They'll make sure you get set up with each type of coverage you need. But for starters, here's a breakdown of Utah car insurance prices and more.
Best Car Insurance Companies in Utah
It can be tough to know where to start looking for the best car insurance in you area. So we put together this list of just the best car insurance companies in Utah and broke it down by category and type. We picked only the best Utah car insurance companies for minimum liability coverage, full coverage, young drivers, drivers with accident histories, and the best overall. Start looking for car insurance from one of these top-rated Utah carriers.
- Best Utah Car Insurance Company Overall: USAA
- Best Utah Car Insurance Company for Minimum Liability: USAA
- Best Utah Car Insurance Company for Full Coverage: USAA
- Best Utah Car Insurance Company for Young Drivers: Farm Bureau
- Best Utah Car Insurance Company for Accident History: Auto-Owners
- Best Utah Car Insurance Company for Married Drivers: Auto-Owners
A Utah independent insurance agent can help you get the car insurance you need from one of these winning local carriers.
Best Utah Car Insurance Company Overall: USAA
The winner for the best Utah car insurance company overall is USAA. USAA offers many different car insurance policy and discount options, all at affordable rates. A full-coverage auto insurance policy from USAA averages about $979 annually in Utah.
Getting its start in 1922, USAA now has more than a century’s experience in the industry. USAA was first created by a group of Army officers insuring each other’s vehicles. The insurance carrier has since grown considerably, and now services millions of customers across the country with a variety of coverage solutions.
Recently, the insurance company's net worth surpassed $35 billion. The insurance company has more than 13 million policyholders and 35,000 employees and has also paid out $2.4 billion in returns to its customers. USAA holds consistently high ratings by major agencies, including Moody’s Investors Service and Standard & Poor. Further, AM Best rates USAA an "A++," the highest available, for financial strength.
|Average Monthly Insurance Cost: Car Insurance Policy||Average Annual Insurance Cost: Car Insurance Policy|
Best Utah Car Insurance Company for Minimum Liability: USAA
The winner for the best Utah car insurance company for minimum liability coverage only is USAA. USAA lets drivers buy just the coverage they need by state law, which helps them save a ton of money and still be able to drive legally. A minimum liability coverage-only policy from USAA averages about $310 annually in Utah.
|Average Monthly Insurance Cost: Minimum Liability||Average Annual Insurance Cost: Minimum Liability|
Best Utah Car Insurance Company for Full Coverage: USAA
The winner for the best Utah car insurance company for full coverage is USAA. "Full coverage" is not an industry-standard term, but is often used to refer to car insurance policies that include liability coverage in addition to extras like uninsured motorist, comprehensive, collision, and more. A full-coverage auto policy from USAA averages about $979 annually in Utah.
|Average Monthly Insurance Cost: Full Coverage Policy||Average Annual Insurance Cost: Full Coverage Policy|
Best Utah Car Insurance Company for Young Drivers: Farm Bureau
The winner for the best Utah car insurance company for young drivers, including teens and students, goes to Farm Bureau. Farm Bureau offers car insurance for teens and young drivers at rates more than 40% cheaper than other carriers in Utah. Full coverage for teens averages about $319 per month.
First founded in 1931, Farm Bureau has been around for nearly a century. The carrier offers a wide variety of coverage and has an "A+" or excellent rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB). Farm Bureau also offers several discount options and offers 24/7 claims reporting.
Many customer reviews cite Farm Bureau as offering some of the lowest coverage rates around. Further, AM Best rates Farm Bureau an "A" or excellent for financial strength.
|Average Monthly Insurance Cost: Full Coverage Policy for Teen Drivers||Average Annual Insurance Cost: Full Coverage Policy for Teen Drivers|
Best Utah Car Insurance Company for Accident History: Auto-Owners
The winner for the best Utah car insurance company for drivers with accident history is Auto-Owners. Auto-Owners allows drivers with an accident on their record to still be able to afford the coverage they need. Car insurance coverage for drivers with accident history averages about $150 per month with Auto-Owners.
Originally founded in 1916, Auto-Owners has well over a century of experience behind them. The carrier currently offers coverage in 26 states, including Utah. Auto-Owners works primarily with independent insurance agents to bring customers the best blend of coverage and cost.
Auto-Owners holds an excellent rating of "A+" from the BBB. The carrier also offers 24/7 claims reporting. AM Best awards Auto-Owners the highest possible rating of "A++" or superior in terms of financial strength.
|Average Monthly Insurance Cost: Drivers with Poor Records||Average Annual Insurance Cost: Drivers with Poor Records|
Best Utah Car Insurance Company for Married Drivers: Auto-Owners
The winner for the best Utah car insurance company for married drivers is Auto-Owners. Auto-Owners allows married drivers to enjoy the cheapest full coverage auto insurance rates in Utah. A full coverage auto policy from Auto-Owners averages about $95 per car per month in Utah.
|Average Monthly Insurance Cost: Married Drivers||Average Annual Insurance Cost: Married Drivers|
Utah Car Insurance Requirements
You must be equipped with at least the state's minimum required car insurance in Utah in order to drive legally. Without getting car insurance in Utah, you could end up paying state fines, serving jail time, or even getting your license suspended. Here are the state's minimum car insurance requirements.
- Bodily injury liability: In Utah, this coverage is required in the amounts of $25,000 per person and $65,000 per accident. Coverage pays the costs of medical treatment for another driver and their passengers after an accident you're at fault for.
- Property damage liability: In Utah, this coverage is required in the amount of $15,000 per accident. Coverage pays the costs of repairs to a third party's personal property, like a vehicle, fences, etc., if you damage it with your car.
- Personal injury protection: In Utah, this coverage is required in the amount of $3,000. Coverage pays drivers for their own medical expenses after an accident they're at fault for.
Some optional car insurance types in Utah include:
- Rental car reimbursement: Pays drivers back for the cost of a rental car after a covered accident.
- Roadside assistance: Pays drivers back for the cost of towing services if they break down on the side of the road.
- Comprehensive: Pays drivers back the costs after incidents other than collision, including incidents with large animals, windshield breaks, and more.
- Uninsured motorist coverage: Pays drivers back for damage to their vehicle or medical treatment if the at-fault driver in the scenario doesn't have any or enough insurance to cover the victim's expenses.
- Gap coverage: Pays drivers back for the difference between what their vehicle is worth and what they owe on the remaining vehicle loan after a collision.
- Collision: Pays drivers back for damage to their own vehicle after an accident they're at fault for.
A Utah independent insurance agent will help make sure your car insurance policy includes every type of coverage you need most.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
Average Cost of Car Insurance in Utah
The average annual cost of car insurance in Utah currently is just $1,059 per year. Drivers in Utah save quite a bit on their premiums compared to the rest of the country, considering the current national average is $1,311 for car insurance annually. But know that the cost of your car insurance varies depending on many different factors, including your driving history, your claims history, the value of your vehicle, and more. A full-coverage auto policy in Utah starts at about $979 annually from affordable carriers like USAA.
Average Utah Car Insurance Costs By City
The city you live in is another factor that impacts the cost of your car insurance. Local crime and traffic rates, along with that area's car values, all play into car insurance costs. The town's risk of severe storms also plays a role in determining car insurance costs. In Utah, resident drivers in the town of Bountiful pay the highest average rates for car insurance, at about $1,401 annually. However, resident drivers in the town of Orem pay the lowest average rates for car insurance in the state, at just $722 annually.
Finding Car Insurance Discounts in Utah
Though car insurance in Utah is already highly affordable in most areas, there are still ways to reduce your premiums even further. Car insurance discounts are offered by most carriers, though the specific discounts offered will vary by insurance company. Check for one or more of these common car insurance discounts available in Utah.
- Safe driver discounts: For drivers who have a driving record with no accidents or traffic violations over the past few years.
- Military discounts: For drivers who are active or retired military members.
- Paperless billing: For drivers who opt for paperless billing statements.
- Anti-theft devices: For drivers with vehicles that are equipped with anti-theft devices like alarms.
- Student driver discounts: For drivers who live in households that have a student driver.
- Other discounts: For drivers who belong to unions, groups, or the government, or who are teachers.
A Utah independent insurance agent can help you find all the car insurance discounts you may qualify for.
How to Find the Best Car Insurance Quote in Utah
Utah independent insurance agents make it easy to find the best car insurance quote in your area. These agents browse car insurance options from dozens of different local insurance companies and take only the best results back to you. Finding the best car insurance quote in Utah is extremely simple when you enlist the help of a local independent insurance agent.
How to File a Car Insurance Claim in Utah
Filing a car insurance claim in Utah isn't a complicated process. In fact, it only requires a few steps. Keep this guide somewhere convenient in case you ever find yourself needing to file a car insurance claim in Utah.
- Report the accident: It's your duty to report all traffic accidents to the authorities right away, ideally from the scene of the accident.
- Get medical treatment: Also, be sure to seek medical attention when needed, ASAP.
- Call your Utah agent: Your Utah independent insurance agent can call your car insurance company directly and handle the claims process for you.
- Get a rental car: You'll arrange to get a rental vehicle through your car insurance company if your policy includes this coverage.
- Meet with an adjuster: Last, you'll arrange for a visit with an insurance adjuster from your carrier to look over the damage to your vehicle and provide an estimate.
A Utah independent insurance agent can actually handle the entire car insurance claims process for you, or you can follow this simple guide.