Accidents can happen anytime, anywhere, and to anyone, especially when road conditions are hazardous. That is why car insurance is so important. From fender benders on 240th Street to serious collisions on I-5, a solid car insurance policy can prevent you from facing large financial losses as a result.
Independent insurance agents make it easy to find the best auto insurance policy to meet your coverage and budgetary needs. Contact an insurance agent in Kent to learn more. You can start comparing customized car insurance quotes in no time.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Kent, WA?
The average cost of car insurance in the state of Washington is lower than the national average. However, rates in Kent tend to be higher. Shopping around for the best price has the potential to save you hundreds of dollars a year.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Washington average annual car insurance cost: $1,110
- Kent average annual car insurance cost: $1,509
Just because the average rate in this city is higher than in the state, that doesn’t mean it is how much you will be paying. Several factors go into calculating rates so they can vary significantly from one person to the next. Your cost for coverage can be influenced by considerations such as these.
- The number of vehicles you are insuring
- Your vehicle’s year, make, model, and trim
- Your age, gender, occupation, and marital status
- Your driving record and credit score
- Details about any other licensed drivers in your household
- Whether you own or rent your home
- The amount of liability insurance you wish to purchase
- The coverage options you want to include in your policy
- The size of your deductible
If you are bundling your car insurance with other policies like home insurance or renters insurance, you can often qualify for significant discounts on each policy. You may also be entitled to other money-saving incentives like a good driver discount or a good student discount.
Let a local independent insurance agent help you be certain that you are getting all the coverage you need at the lowest available price.
What Does Kent Car Insurance Cover?
In the state of Washington, vehicle owners can either post a security bond of at least $60,000, apply for a certificate of deposit, or purchase car insurance. Most drivers in Kent opt to purchase insurance.
Car insurance policies are a mixture of required and optional coverage. As a resident of Kent, you must carry a policy that meets or exceeds Washington’s minimum coverage requirements. You can expect your insurance provider to offer the following types of coverage.
- Liability insurance: (required) This covers other people’s injuries and damage if you cause an accident. Your policy must include the following.
- Bodily-injury liability coverage: At least $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident
- Property damage liability coverage: At least $10,000 per accident
- Collision and comprehensive insurance: (partially optional) Both cover damage to your vehicle, regardless of fault. Though optional by law, these types of coverage are typically required by lenders until your car is paid in full and by dealerships if you are leasing it.
- Uninsured motorist insurance: (optional) This can provide coverage if you are in a collision caused by an uninsured, under-insured, or hit and run driver.
- Personal injury protection (PIP): (optional) This covers medical and hospital expenses, lost wages, and other related expenses if you or members of your household are injured in a collision, regardless of fault.
- Roadside assistance and towing: (optional) This covers any necessary assistance you may require if your vehicle becomes disabled while you are out on the road, such as if you get a flat tire or your engine overheats.
- Rental reimbursement coverage: (optional) This covers the cost of renting a replacement vehicle while repairs are being made to your car following a covered event.
Talk to your insurance agent for help determining how much liability coverage you can reasonably afford and to discuss which coverage options are a good fit for you.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Is the Penalty for Driving without Insurance in Kent?
Driving without insurance is illegal in Washington. If caught, you could be ordered to pay a fine of at least $550. If you cause an accident while uninsured, you can also have your license suspended and will need to pay for any damage and injuries you may have caused.
Additionally, because driving while uninsured is a traffic violation, you can expect to see your insurance rates increase when you do get coverage.
Despite it being illegal, approximately one in six drivers in this state is operating an uninsured vehicle.
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 13.0%
- Percentage of Washington drivers who are uninsured: 17.4%
If an uninsured driver causes a collision with your vehicle and you do not carry uninsured motorist insurance, you will likely have to go through legal channels in order to collect compensation for your injuries and property damage. In many cases, if the uninsured driver simply has no money or assets to go after, you may only see a fraction of what is owed to you.
On the other hand, if you have uninsured motorist insurance, your insurance company will provide you with the funds needed to pay for medical bills and repairs upfront and will absorb the losses if they are unable to collect from the at-fault driver.
Talk to your insurance agent to learn more about uninsured motorist insurance and to find out how much it will cost to add it to your Kent car insurance policy.
How High Is the Auto Theft Rate in Kent?
The auto theft rate in Washington is higher than the national average. In Kent, the risk is even higher. Residents of this city report more than 1,000 auto thefts a year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.29
- Washington auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 3.12
- Kent auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 8.86
It is important that you are aware that you can only be reimbursed for a stolen vehicle if your car insurance policy includes comprehensive coverage. Comprehensive insurance doesn’t just cover against theft. It can also cover a wide range of other non-collision hazards such as falling objects, hail, and windstorms.
If you are still paying for your car or if you are leasing it, you probably already have comprehensive coverage. If not, talk to your insurance agent to learn how much it will cost you to add this “other than collision” coverage to your car insurance policy.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Kent, WA?
Independent agents can be extremely helpful when you are looking for the best and most affordable car insurance policy. These local insurance professionals can explain your many coverage options, answer your insurance-related questions, and provide you with quotes from multiple providers.
Discover the many benefits of working with an independent agent. Find an insurance agent with an office near you to get started.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.