Billboards are one of the most visible forms of advertising available. Their large presence on the sides of freeways, roads, sporting events, and other highly visible areas is seen by thousands every day. Billboard printers promise custom large-format printing with vivid colors and error-free messaging that will stand up to the outdoor elements.
Like all other commercial printers, billboard printers need to understand their business risks, so they can protect themselves and recover financially if they have a loss. Billboard printing insurance can help you protect all aspects of your business, including your customers, your employees, and your property and equipment.
An independent insurance agent can help you find tailored business insurance for billboard printing.
Why Do You Need Billboard Printing Insurance?
Billboard printers face a variety of risks. Anyone visiting your premises to discuss a billboard project or make a delivery can get injured in a simple trip-and-fall incident, or worse.
Your printing environment is also dangerous to your employees, and a variety of vinyls, inks, and other flammables make your business highly susceptible to fire and significant damage. What’s more, your printing presses and other machines can malfunction or suffer damage and take a serious bite out of your productivity as a result.
That’s where billboard printing insurance can help. It helps you cover the costs of property and liability claims, so you can recover and stay in business.
What Does Liability Insurance Cover?
Billboard printers face numerous liability risks, including copyright infringement, libel, slander, defamation of character, and advertising liability. What’s more, at any time one of your customers, business partners, or anyone who visits your premises can be injured or sustain some kind of property damage.
You can protect your operations, products, and customers with a variety of business liability policies designed for billboard printers.
- Commercial general liability (CGL) insurance: This coverage is necessary for times when your business is negligent and causes bodily injury or property damage to a third party. Your CGL policy protects you in the event of third-party lawsuits, with coverage for attorney fees, court costs, settlements, and judgments up to the limits of your policy.
- Cyber liability insurance: A virus, hacker, or glitch in your computer system can wreak havoc on your billboard printing business. When clients, employees, vendors, or others have their sensitive data compromised, you’re responsible for paying for many of the damages, and you may also be sued. Cyber liability insurance protects you from the risks associated with cyberattacks, data breaches, viruses, and other cyber-related issues.
- Environmental liability insurance: The inks and solvents that you use in the printing process could be toxic and may contaminate the air, ground, or water if they are not handled properly. Environmental liability insurance covers a variety of pollution exposures.
- Commercial auto insurance: Covers your vehicle fleet and drivers in the event of an accident or other vehicle damage that occurs. Commercial auto insurance provides coverage for property damage and bodily injury liability claims, vehicle damage, and medical bills, as well as any costs related to lawsuits due to auto accidents involving your vehicle fleet as they transport your products from place to place.
- Commercial umbrella insurance: Provides an extra layer of liability protection to any of several other policies you might have. Commercial umbrella insurance kicks in when the limits of your other applicable insurance policies have been exhausted, protecting you in the event that a claim exceeds the amount of coverage available from any other applicable policy.
What Is Printers and Publishers Professional Liability Insurance?
Your large-format signs and billboards are seen by thousands of people on a daily basis. Everything has to be perfect, from the message to the colors, images, and text. The billboards you produce cannot tear or weather from the elements. And every billboard you print must be delivered on time and error-free.
But what if you make a mistake or fail to deliver as promised? It could lead to a financial loss for your client, and could lead to you being accused of negligence and caught up in a lawsuit.
Printers and publishers professional liability insurance is a special type of errors and omissions insurance designed for commercial printers and publishers of all kinds. It protects you if you make a mistake or an error during the printing process, or if you fail to deliver products as promised (such as missing a deadline or delivering a billboard with an error).
In these cases, your professional liability insurance may cover the costs of any legal action against you, even if the claims are unfounded. It can also protect you from accusations of copyright infringement, defamation, libel, and slander.
If you’re sued for an error or oversight in your services, a printers and publishers professional liability policy will likely pay for:
- Attorney fees and court costs
- Court-ordered judgments
Some policies may also cover the costs to remove or destroy the erroneous work as well as cover the costs associated with reprinting it.
Insurance Coverage for Your Billboard Graphic Designers
Billboard printing companies are likely to employ graphic designers who help clients design billboards from scratch, or who prepare clients' designs for the printing process. It’s important that if you offer graphic design services, you have the insurance to back you up when things go wrong.
Most of the billboard printing insurance policies that you have will cover your graphic design services. But it’s important to discuss it with your independent insurance agent so you don’t have any gaps in your protection.
Commercial general liability insurance might cover a graphic designer in cases where the designer’s work causes you to be accused of:
- Damaging a client’s property
- Inadvertently using copyrighted material
- False advertising
- Libel or slander
Graphic designers professional liability insurance is also important. Your clients rely on your design services for skills and expertise. Your designers may provide advice on strategy and branding, and create billboards that are part of the public face for your clients. If a designer that you employ makes a mistake or is somehow negligent, it could harm a client’s reputation and even cause financial harm.
Professional liability insurance protects you if a designer’s advice or services cause financial harm to a client. You can be sued for any number of reasons, including:
- Actual or alleged errors, omissions, or negligence
- Plagiarism, piracy, or copyright infringement
Your graphic designers professional liability policy will pay for your legal defense, including attorney fees, court costs, and any settlements or judgments that you must pay if you’re sued for this type of claim.
What Does Property Insurance Cover?
Billboard printers have a variety of serious property exposures. You have numerous flammable materials on hand, as well valuable inventory, equipment, machinery, and more. Your buildings, equipment, and inventory are susceptible to fire, theft, vandalism, and natural disasters.
- Commercial property insurance protects your building and other property in the event of a covered loss, such as fire, vandalism, smoke, or theft. It provides coverage for lost inventory, printers, machinery, tools, warehouses and office space, office equipment, computers, and more. It may also provide coverage for neighboring facilities and completed products housed on your premises. Coverage applies whether you own or lease your business property.
- Business interruption coverage, or business income coverage, protects your earnings and helps to pay expenses if your business is unable to operate because of damage caused by some type of covered disruption (fire, hail, wind, equipment breakdown). You can even include coverage for breakdowns in utility services (water, electrical) if a storm or some other event takes down power lines and cuts off your electrical and telephone service, and you’re forced to temporarily close your doors.
- Inland marine insurance protects you from losses when cargo is damaged in transit. Any piece of property that is moved from one location to another can be covered with an inland marine policy.
- Equipment breakdown insurance, often referred to as boiler and machinery coverage, supplements your business property insurance. Without your specialized printing presses and other equipment, your business would be unable to operate, pay for expenses, and earn revenue. It covers certain costs associated with accidental breakdown of machinery or equipment and the resulting property damage or loss.
Why Do Billboard Printers Need Worker's Compensation Insurance?
Excessive employee injuries and illnesses can be financially devastating for your business. Your employees might be susceptible to cuts, pokes, crushed fingers or limbs, and repetitive motion injuries. The use of inks, solvents, and other chemicals can result in eye injuries, respiratory problems, or allergic reactions. Employees can be injured while loading and unloading trucks, driving forklifts, and operating printing presses. Even office workers can get injured from slips and falls and poor ergonomic conditions at their workstations.
Worker's compensation insurance provides coverage when accidents happen in the workplace. It ensures that the injured worker gets medical care and income protection while unable to work.
Worker's compensation insurance provides benefits to injured workers regardless of who is at fault for their injury. And it will provide death benefits for a worker’s dependents if the worker is killed.
What Is Computers and Media Coverage?
Billboard printers use computers and a wide variety of applications to help them communicate with customers, design billboards, and store customer records. If your computers are damaged by a covered loss—such as theft, vandalism, viruses, or malware—computers and media coverage helps you pay to replace lost data and related lost income. Also referred to as electronic data processing (EDP) insurance, it may also pay for physical damage to computers or hardware.
Talk to your independent insurance agent about your need for this valuable coverage.
How Much Does Billboard Printing Insurance Cost?
In general, billboard printing insurance costs will vary depending on the size of your business, the number of employees you have, the amount and value of your commercial property, the location of your business, and a variety of other variables.
An independent insurance agent can guide you though your options so you get coverage that meets your needs and budget.
Benefits of an Independent Agent
Independent insurance agents simplify the search process for finding the right billboard printing insurance. They’ll walk you through some handpicked policy options and explain the details.
Most importantly, they’ll be there for you when claim time comes. They know the ins and outs of the process and will make sure your claim is handled appropriately.
The Lowdown on Online Quotes
Online quotes can be tempting. They are fast and easy to get—but are they accurate? And are you getting quotes for the right coverage? For business owners, choosing speed over accuracy can cost you.
Online quotes can’t and don’t see the whole picture. They can leave out important coverage that will leave you devastated if something unexpected happens. And they can leave out cost-saving opportunities that an agent can help you take advantage of.
Instead of getting an online quote, find an independent insurance agent now, and get one-on-one consultation and affordable options for the best coverage for your unique needs.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Paul Martin
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.