Card Printer Insurance

Your Guide to Card Printing Insurance

Card Printing Insurance

Card printers are part of the commercial printing industry. Card printers design and print various types of cards, including business cards, greeting cards, playing cards, postcards, and trading cards. 

While you take every precaution to ensure you deliver the highest quality results, errors can occur and circumstances that are out of your control can arise at any time. That’s why you need to protect all aspects of your business, including your customers, your employees, and your property and equipment.  

Card printing insurance protects your business from the costs of lawsuits and property damage that could otherwise bankrupt you. An independent insurance agent can help you find the tailored business insurance you need. 

Why Do You Need Card Printing Insurance? 

Card printers produce a variety of cards in a dangerous and highly flammable environment. You likely have a large inventory of paper, inks, and other flammables on hand at all times. Your printing presses and other machines can injure your workers. And the machines themselves can malfunction or suffer damage and take a serious bite out of your productivity as a result. 

What’s more, anyone visiting your premises can get injured, leaving you responsible for the medical bills, and even worse, making you susceptible to a very costly lawsuit. Would you be able to spend tens of thousands or even millions of dollars on an injury lawsuit or a complete loss due to a fire? 

That’s why you need card printing insurance. It helps you cover the costs of property and liability claims, so you can recover and stay in business. 

What Does Property Insurance Cover? 

Card printers have a variety of serious property exposures. You have numerous flammable materials on hand, as well valuable inventory, equipment, machinery, and more. Your buildings, equipment, and inventory are susceptible to fire, theft, vandalism, and natural disasters. 

  • Commercial property insurance: This protects your building and other property in the event of a covered loss, such as fire, vandalism, smoke, or theft. It provides coverage for lost inventory, equipment and machinery, warehouses and office space, office equipment, computers, and more. It may also provide coverage for neighboring facilities and completed products housed on your premises. 
  • Business interruption coverage: This protects your earnings and helps to pay expenses if your business is unable to operate because of damage caused by some type of covered disruption (fire, hail, wind, equipment breakdown). You can even include coverage for breakdowns in utility services (water, electrical) that force you to temporarily close your doors. 

You need to work with an experienced independent insurance agent who can help you evaluate and calculate how much and what type of coverage you need for your printing operations, equipment, and inventory. While evaluating your commercial property insurance, your agent will likely pay close attention to how you handle the flammables on your property. Taking appropriate fire precautions will help you secure better coverage and lower rates.

You may also need additional property coverage for any products or inventory in transit.

  • Inland marine insurance: This protects you from losses when cargo is damaged in transit. Any piece of property that is moved from one location to another can be covered with an inland marine policy. 

Another potentially devastating property risk for card printers is damage to or breakdown of equipment. Without your specialized printing presses and other equipment, your business would be unable to operate, pay for expenses, and earn revenue. 

  • Equipment breakdown insurance: This is often referred to as boiler and machinery coverage, and it supplements your commercial property insurance. It covers certain costs associated with accidental breakdown of machinery or equipment and the resulting property damage or loss. 

Workers’ Compensation Insurance Is Essential for Card Printers

Excessive employee injuries and illnesses can be financially devastating for your card printing business. Your employees might be susceptible to cuts, pokes, crushed fingers or limbs, and repetitive motion injuries. The use of inks, solvents, and other chemicals can result in eye injuries, respiratory problems, or allergic reactions. Employees can be injured while loading and unloading trucks, driving forklifts, and operating printing presses. And even office workers can get injured from slips and falls and poor ergonomic conditions at their workstations. 

Workers’ compensation insurance: This provides insurance coverage when accidents happen at the workplace. It ensures that the injured worker gets medical care and income protection while unable to work. 

Workers’ compensation insurance provides benefits to injured workers regardless of who is at fault for their injury. And it will provide death benefits for a worker’s dependents if the worker is killed. 

Your insurance agent can help you navigate your state’s workers’ compensation laws and requirements. Each state has different rules for:

  • The amount of benefits injured employees are entitled to 
  • Which impairments or injuries are covered 
  • How impairments will be evaluated 
  • How medical care will be delivered

In addition to purchasing workers’ compensation insurance, you need robust safety programs that encourage worker compliance in order to keep your workers’ compensation claims and costs under control. Your independent agent can help you develop and implement safety programs as well as find appropriate workers’ compensation insurance. 

What Does Liability Insurance Cover?

Card printers are at risk from allegations of copyright infringement, libel, slander, defamation of character, and advertising liability. What’s more, at any time one of your customers, business partners, or anyone who visits your premises can be injured or sustain some kind of property damage. 

You can protect your operations, products, and customers with a variety of business liability policies designed for greeting card publishers. 

  • Commercial general liability (CGL) insurance: This coverage is necessary for occasions in which your business is negligent and causes bodily injury or property damage to a third party. Your CGL policy protects you in the event of third-party lawsuits, with coverage for attorney fees, court costs, settlements, and judgments up to the limits of your policy. 
  • Professional liability insurance: This protects you if you make a mistake or an error during the printing process, or if you fail to deliver products as promised. In these cases, your professional liability insurance may cover the costs of any legal action against you.
  • Cyber liability insurance: A virus, hacker, or a glitch in your computer system can wreak havoc on your greeting card publishing business. When clients, employees, vendors, or others have their sensitive data compromised, you’re responsible for paying for much of the damage, and you may also be sued. Cyber liability insurance protects you from the risks associated with cyberattacks, data breaches, viruses, and other cyber-related issues.
  • Environmental liability insurance: The inks and solvents that you use in the printing process could be toxic and may contaminate the air, ground, or water if they are not handled properly. Environmental liability insurance covers a variety of pollution exposures.
  • Commercial auto insurance: This covers your vehicle fleet and drivers in the event of an accident or other vehicle damage that occurs. Commercial auto insurance provides coverage for property damage and bodily injury liability claims related to any accidents that your drivers cause. It also pays for your legal defense if you're sued because of an auto accident involving one of your vehicles.
  • Commercial umbrella insurance: This provides an extra layer of liability protection to any of several other policies you might have. Commercial umbrella insurance kicks in when the limits of your other applicable insurance policies have been exhausted, protecting you in the event that a claim exceeds the amount of coverage available from any other applicable policy. 

Liability Insurance for Graphic Designers

You likely employ graphic designers who help your clients design cards before they are printed, or who prepare outside designs for the printing process. It’s important that if you offer graphic design services, you have the insurance to back you up when things go wrong. 

Most of the card printing insurance policies that you have will cover your graphic design services. But it’s important to discuss it with your independent insurance agent so you don’t have any gaps in your protection.

Commercial general liability insurance: This might cover a graphic designer in cases where the designer’s work causes you to be accused of:

  • Damaging a client’s property 
  • Inadvertently using copyrighted material
  • False advertising
  • Libel or slander

Professional liability insurance: This coverage for graphic designers is also important. Your clients rely on your design services for skills and expertise. Your designers may provide advice on strategy and branding, and create cards and other collateral that are part of the public face for your clients. If a designer that you employ makes a mistake or is somehow negligent, it could harm a client’s reputation and even cause financial harm. 

Professional liability insurance protects you if a designer’s advice or services cause financial harm to a client. You can be sued for any number of reasons, including: 

  • Actual or alleged errors, omissions, or negligence 
  • Plagiarism, piracy, or copyright infringement

Your graphic designers professional liability policy will pay for your legal defense, including attorney fees, court costs, and any settlements or judgments that you must pay if you’re sued for this type of claim. 

How Much Does Card Printing Insurance Cost? 

In general, card printing insurance costs will vary depending on the size of your business, the number of employees you have, the amount and value of your commercial property, the location of your business, and a number of other variables. 

An independent insurance agent can guide you though your options so you get coverage that meets your needs and budget. 

Benefits of an Independent Agent

Our agents simplify the search process for finding the right greeting card printing insurance. They’ll walk you through the handpicked policy options and explain the details.

Most importantly, they’ll be there for you when claim time comes. They know the ins and outs of the process and will make sure your claim is handled appropriately. 

The Lowdown on Online Quotes

Online quotes can be tempting. They are fast and easy to get — but are they accurate? And are you getting quotes for the right coverage? For business owners, choosing speed over accuracy can cost you.  

Online quotes can’t and don’t see the whole picture. They can omit important coverage that will leave you devastated if something unexpected happens. And they can leave out cost-saving opportunities that an agent can help you take advantage of. 

Instead of getting an online quote, find an independent insurance agent now, and get one-on-one consultation and affordable options for the best coverage for your unique needs. 

Share this page on Twitter Share this page on Facebook Share this page on LinkedIn Article | Reviewed by Paul Martin

©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.