Directory publishers print, collate, bind, and package a wide variety of directories, including church directories, telephone directories, business directories, and much more.
While you take every precaution to ensure you deliver the highest quality results, errors can occur and circumstances that are out of your control can arise at any time. That’s why you need to protect all aspects of your business, including your customers, your employees, and your property and equipment.
Directory publisher insurance protects your business from the costs of lawsuits and property damage that could otherwise bankrupt you. An independent insurance agent can help you find tailored business insurance for directory publishers.
Why Do You Need Directory Publisher Insurance?
Directory publishers produce a variety of directories in a dangerous and highly flammable environment. You likely have a large inventory of paper, inks, and other flammables on hand at all times. Your printing presses and other machines can injure your workers. And the machines themselves can malfunction or suffer damage and take a serious bite out of your productivity as a result. Even a loss of important electronic records could lead to a serious and unrecoverable productivity and revenue shortage.
What’s more, anyone visiting your premises can get injured, leaving you responsible for the medical bills, and even worse, making you susceptible to a very costly lawsuit. Would you be able to spend tens of thousands or even millions of dollars on an injury lawsuit or a complete loss due to a fire?
That’s where directory publisher insurance can help. It helps you cover the costs of property and liability claims, so you can recover and stay in business.
Save on Business Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Does Property Insurance Cover?
Directory publishers have a variety of serious property exposures. You have numerous flammable materials on hand, as well valuable inventory, equipment, machinery, and more. Your buildings, equipment, and inventory are susceptible to fire, theft, vandalism, and natural disasters.
- Commercial property insurance: This protects your building and other property in the event of a covered loss, such as fire, vandalism, smoke, or theft. It provides coverage for lost inventory, printers, machinery, tools, warehouses and office space, office equipment, computers, and more. It may also provide coverage for neighboring facilities and completed products housed on your premises. Coverage applies whether you own or lease your business property.
- Business interruption coverage: Also known as business income coverage, this protects your earnings and helps to pay expenses if your business is unable to operate because of damage caused by some type of covered disruption (fire, hail, wind, equipment breakdown). You can even include coverage for breakdowns in utility services (water, electrical) if a storm or some other event takes down power lines and cuts off your electrical and telephone service, and you’re forced to temporarily close your doors.
Another potentially devastating property risk for directory publishers is damage to or breakdown of equipment. Without your specialized printing presses and other equipment, your business would be unable to operate, pay for expenses, and earn revenue.
- Equipment breakdown insurance: Often referred to as boiler and machinery coverage, this supplements your business property insurance. It covers certain costs associated with accidental breakdown of machinery or equipment and the resulting property damage or loss.
Why Do Directory Publishers Need Workers’ Compensation Insurance?
Excessive employee injuries and illnesses can be financially devastating for your business. Your employees might be susceptible to cuts, pokes, crushed fingers or limbs, and repetitive motion injuries. The use of inks, solvents, and other chemicals can result in eye injuries, respiratory problems, or allergic reactions. Employees can be injured while loading and unloading trucks, driving forklifts, and operating printing presses. Even office workers can get injured from slips and falls and poor ergonomic conditions at their workstations.
Workers’ compensation insurance: This provides insurance coverage when accidents happen at the workplace. It ensures that the injured worker gets medical care and income protection while unable to work.
Workers’ compensation insurance provides benefits to injured workers regardless of who is at fault for their injury. And it will provide death benefits for a worker’s dependents if the worker is killed.
Your insurance agent can help you navigate your state’s workers’ compensation laws and requirements. And in addition to purchasing workers’ compensation insurance, you need robust safety programs that encourage worker compliance in order to keep your workers’ compensation claims and costs under control.
Save on Business Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Does Liability Insurance Cover?
Directory publishers are at risk from allegations of copyright infringement, libel, slander, defamation of character, and advertising liability. What’s more, at any time one of your customers, business partners, or anyone who visits your premises can be injured or sustain some kind of property damage.
You can protect your operations, products, and customers with a variety of business liability policies designed for directory publishers.
- Commercial general liability (CGL) insurance: This coverage is necessary for occasions in which your business is negligent and causes bodily injury or property damage to a third party. Your CGL policy protects you in the event of third-party lawsuits, with coverage for attorney fees, court costs, settlements, and judgments up to the limits of your policy.
- Professional liability insurance: This protects you if you make a mistake or an error during the printing process or if you fail to deliver products as promised. In these cases, your professional liability insurance may cover the costs of any legal action against you, even if the claims are unfounded.
- Cyber liability insurance: When clients, employees, vendors, or others have their sensitive data compromised, you’re responsible for paying for much of the damage, and you may also be sued. Cyber liability insurance protects you from the risks associated with cyberattacks, data breaches, viruses, and other cyber-related issues.
- Environmental liability insurance: The inks and solvents that you use in the printing process could be toxic and may contaminate the air, ground, or water if they are not handled properly. Environmental liability insurance covers a variety of pollution exposures.
- Commercial auto insurance: This covers your vehicle fleet and drivers in the event of an accident or other vehicle damage that occurs. Commercial auto insurance provides coverage for property damage and bodily injury liability claims, vehicle damage, and medical bills, as well as any costs related to lawsuits due to auto accidents involving your vehicle fleet as they transport your products from place to place.
- Commercial umbrella insurance: This provides an extra layer of liability protection to any of several other policies you might have. Commercial umbrella insurance kicks in when the limits of your other applicable insurance policies have been exhausted, protecting you in the event that a claim exceeds the amount of coverage available from any other applicable policy.
What Is Computers and Media Coverage?
Directory publishers use computers and a wide variety of applications to help you communicate with customers, design directory layouts, and store customer records. If your computers are damaged by a covered loss — such as theft, vandalism, viruses, or malware — computers and media coverage helps you pay to replace lost data and related lost income. Also referred to as electronic data processing (EDP) insurance, it may also pay for physical damage to computers or hardware.
Talk to your independent insurance agent about your need for this valuable coverage.
How Much Does Directory Publisher Insurance Cost?
In general, directory publisher insurance costs will vary depending on the size of your business, the number of employees you have, the amount and value of your commercial property, the location of your business, and a number of other variables.
An independent insurance agent can guide you though your options so you get coverage that meets your needs and budget.
Benefits of an Independent Agent
Our agents simplify the search process for finding the right directory publisher insurance. They’ll walk you through the handpicked policy options and explain the details.
Most importantly, they’ll be there for you when claim time comes. They know the ins and outs of the process and will make sure your claim is handled appropriately.
The Lowdown on Online Quotes
Online quotes can be tempting. They are fast and easy to get — but are they accurate? And are you getting quotes for the right coverage? For business owners, choosing speed over accuracy can cost you.
Online quotes can’t and don’t see the whole picture. They can omit important coverage that will leave you devastated if something unexpected happens. And they can leave out cost-saving opportunities that an agent can help you take advantage of.
Instead of getting an online quote, find an independent insurance agent now, and get one-on-one consultation and affordable options for the best coverage for your unique needs.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Paul Martin
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.