Car audio stores help drivers customize their internal auto sound systems to enhance the entertainment inside their vehicles. As a car audio store, your inventory may include stereos, speakers, amplifiers, subwoofers, and a variety of other expensive audio equipment. That's why having the proper insurance for your store is essential, and independent insurance agents can help you get it.
These agents are experts at building the perfect insurance portfolio to fit your business needs. They'll learn about your car audio shop and recommend a variety of insurance options, so all you have to worry about is upgrading the entertainment inside your customers' vehicles.
Why Does a Car Audio Store Need Insurance?
From protecting the inventory in your store to coverage for your employees, car audio stores face a variety of risks.
- Accidents, such as trips and falls in the store or parking lot
- Shopping carts or store fixtures causing injury or property damage in the store or parking lot
- Damage to your inventory due to some catastrophic or unexpected event (fire, smoke, weather, vandalism, etc.)
- Loss of income due to a catastrophic or unexpected event
- Equipment damage
- Employee theft of cash or inventory
- Delivery driver involvement in automobile accidents
- Installation mistakes that lead to vehicle damage
- Selling faulty products
- Employee lawsuits related to discrimination or other claims
- Cyber breaches
- Fire damage to a landlord’s property
If your store offers installation of car audio equipment, then you may also be in charge of keeping your customers' cars safe while they are in your care. Should something in a vehicle be damaged during your installation, that falls on your wallet.
An independent agent can help build you an insurance package that covers all aspects of your business.
What Does Basic Car Audio Store Insurance Cover?
While there are a variety of things that could need coverage in your store, the basics include protecting your inventory, your property, and your income.
Whether it's a catastrophic event or an unfortunate burglary, your inventory is your biggest asset. Without it, you don't have a store. You also need somewhere to keep your inventory, which means protecting your store building if you own it, and continuing your operations should your store unexpectedly have to close for some time.
Equally important, car audio stores face a variety of liability concerns related to possible on-site injuries and property damage to others, which can both result in lawsuits. A comprehensive insurance package addresses these risks and more. You can start your conversation with your independent insurance agent by discussing the following basic coverage options:
- Commercial general liability (CGL) insurance is critical for any retailer or car audio store. It protects you from costs related to bodily injury or property damage that you or your employees cause to third parties. CGL policies also cover your defense costs, court costs, and court-ordered judgments.
- Commercial property insurance is essential for proprietors who own their buildings or handle large volumes of expensive inventory. Business property insurance protects you if a fire, vandalism, smoke, theft or another type of event damages your property. It provides coverage for lost inventory, office equipment, computers, and more. Car audio store owners must pay particular attention to the valuation of their business property, especially inventory, since it may fluctuate seasonally.
- Business interruption coverage, or business income coverage, protects your earnings if your business is unable to operate because of damage caused by some type of disruption (fire, hail, wind, equipment breakdown). This coverage, normally included in commercial property insurance, is usually quite affordable and invaluable if you are forced to close your doors for some time in order to make repairs. It pays for rent, employee salaries, lost income, relocation fees and more. You can expand your business income policy to include coverage for breakdowns in utility services (water, electrical) that force you to temporarily close your doors.
What about a Business Owners Policy?
A business owners policy (BOP) is designed for small businesses. It offers a comprehensive insurance package that includes property, liability, and business interruption coverage in one affordable policy. You can also bundle coverage like workers' compensation or commercial automobile coverage.
The advantages of a BOP policy are what make it an attractive choice for car audio store owners. First, you bundle all of your coverages under one insurer, which results in easier handling of insurance concerns, such as single-date premium payments and policy changes.
Second, insurers value your consolidated insurance concerns, so they’re more apt to offer premium discounts and reduced rates.
Bonus Insurance Coverage to Consider for a Car Audio Store
Now that you've got the basics covered, you will want to work with your insurance agent to determine if you could use any of the coverages below to round out your insurance package.
Keep in mind that you want to leave no stone unturned when it comes to insuring your business. Even if an incident seems highly unlikely, if its financial repercussions could put you out of business, it's best to have the proper coverage in place and not take the risk.
- Commercial auto insurance is something you need if your car audio store offers delivery. Business auto insurance covers your company’s vehicles (cars, SUVs, vans and trucks) if they are damaged, and drivers if they are injured, in a collision or some other type of event. If you or your employees drive personal vehicles for business purposes, you must have non-owned or hired auto liability coverage to protect your company in cases where an employee is in an accident while out making deliveries.
- Workers' compensation insurance is necessary for medical treatment, partial income replacement during paid time off, and other health-related concerns. Unlike other types of insurance, workers' compensation insurance is required by most states. To understand your responsibility when it comes to this type of insurance, speak with an independent insurance agent to determine adequate coverage for your store.
- Employment practices liability coverage protects you from employee lawsuits related to discrimination and other employment-related business practices.
- Equipment breakdown insurance is necessary in case the equipment you use to install car audios breaks down.
- Cyber liability insurance will protect your business from any fraudulent activity that uses your customers' personal information. Hackers can cause a big headache for business owners if they break into your credit card system and get access to your customers' personal data.
- Umbrella insurance: A “bonus” insurance type, typically very cheap, that covers any extra costs if you exceed the limit of your other business insurance policies. If you fight a high-profile legal case that costs more than what your business liability insurance will cover on its own, umbrella insurance kicks in to pay the difference.
Save on Business Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Does Car Audio Store Insurance Cost?
As with any business, the cost of coverage for your store will depend on a number of factors. These include:
- Number of employees: The more employees your store has, the greater the risk, so premiums are higher.
- Size of the premises: Larger facilities and those with several locations presents more risk and higher premiums.
- Payroll amount: Because workers' compensation insurance reimburses employees for a portion of their lost wages, having a larger payroll results in higher premium payments.
- Claims history: If your business has a history of incidents resulting in legal action, you will be considered a greater risk by the insurer and will typically have to pay more in premiums.
- Danger of operations: If you offer installation on premium vehicles or have a variety of employees in charge of inventory and installation, it could raise your premiums.
- Automotive demographics: Young drivers under the age of 25, particularly males, mean higher premiums. Similarly, regular driving in urban areas and high-traffic zones causes more accidents, so premiums are also higher for these reasons.
- Cost of inventory: Seeing as a car audio store is filled with pricey inventory, you'll need to pay more money to properly insure your assets.
A local independent insurance agent can obtain a variety of customized quotes on your behalf. That way, you can be sure that the policies you select are offered to you at a reasonable price.
How to Find the Best Insurance for Your Car Audio Store
Insurance policies can be complex, and searching through options can be confusing, time-consuming, and frustrating. An independent insurance agent's role is to simplify the process.
An agent will help determine the risks involved with your car audio store and the best coverage to protect all aspects of your business.
When it comes time to purchase insurance, they’ll break down all the jargon and explain the details, so you understand exactly what you're getting.
And should you need to file a claim, you’re not alone. Your agent will be right there to help guide you through every last step and get your life back to where it all was. How great is that?
Can't I Just Shop for Insurance Quotes Online?
Getting your insurance quotes online can be tempting. Sure, it’s fast and easy, but are the quotes you are getting actually accurate? And are you getting quotes for all the different types of coverage your business needs?
Online quotes cannot give you the whole picture. They often omit important coverage, which may result in you being unable to get compensation if something disastrous happens. And they can leave out cost-saving opportunities such as discounts and bundling opportunities that an independent agent can help you take advantage of.
Instead of getting an online quote, find an independent insurance agent near you, and schedule a one-on-one consultation to discuss your options for the best coverage for your store.
The Benefits of an Independent Insurance Agent
Independent insurance agents have access to multiple insurance companies, ultimately finding you the best coverage, accessibility, and competitive pricing while working for you. Find an independent insurance agent in your community here.