Greeting Card Publisher Insurance

How to Find the Best Greeting Card Publisher Insurance

Greeting Card Publisher

Every detail is important for greeting card publishers, from making sure every “T” is crossed and every “I” is dotted, to making sure the colors are vibrant and your products ship out on time, as ordered. 

While you take every precaution to ensure that you deliver the highest quality results, errors can occur and circumstances that are out of your control can arise at any time. That’s why you need to protect all aspects of your business, including your customers, your employees, and your property and equipment.  

Greeting card publisher insurance protects your business from the costs of lawsuits and property damage that could otherwise bankrupt you. An independent insurance agent can help you find tailored business insurance for greeting card publishers.

Why Do You Need Greeting Card Publisher Insurance? 

Greeting card publishers produce a variety of cards in a dangerous and highly flammable environment. You probably have a large inventory of paper, ink, and other flammables on hand at all times. Your printing presses and other machines can injure your workers. And the machines themselves can malfunction or suffer damage and take a serious bite out of your productivity. 

What’s more, anyone visiting your premises can get injured, leaving you responsible for the medical bills, and even worse, making you susceptible to a very costly lawsuit. Would you be able to spend tens of thousands or even millions of dollars on an injury lawsuit or a complete loss due to a fire? 

That’s why you need greeting card publisher insurance. It helps you cover the costs of property and liability claims, so you can recover and stay in business. 

What Does Property Insurance Cover? 

If you print greeting cards onsite, you have a variety of serious property exposures. You have numerous flammable materials on hand, as well valuable inventory, equipment, machinery, and more. Your buildings, equipment, and inventory are susceptible to fire, theft, vandalism, and natural disasters.

  • Commercial property insurance protects your building and other property in the event of a covered loss, such as fire, vandalism, smoke, or theft. It provides coverage for lost inventory, equipment and machinery, warehouses and office space, office equipment, computers, and more. It may also provide coverage for neighboring facilities and completed products housed on your premises. 
  • Business interruption coverage, or business income coverage, protects your earnings and helps to pay expenses if your business is unable to operate because of damage caused by some type of covered disruption (fire, hail, wind, equipment breakdown). You can even include coverage for breakdowns in utility services (water, electrical) that force you to temporarily close your doors. 

You need to work with an experienced independent insurance agent who can help you evaluate and calculate how much and what type of coverage you need for your printing operations, equipment, and inventory. While evaluating your business for property insurance, your agent is likely to pay close attention to how you handle the flammables on your property. Taking appropriate fire precautions will help you secure better coverage and lower rates.

You may need additional coverage for your product as it is being transported from place to place. 

  • Inland marine insurance protects you from losses when cargo is damaged in transit. Any piece of property that is moved from one location to another can be covered with an inland marine policy. 

Another potentially devastating property risk for greeting card publishers is damage to or breakdown of equipment. Without your specialized printing presses and other equipment, your business would be unable to operate, pay for expenses, and earn revenue. 

  • Equipment breakdown insurance, often referred to as boiler and machinery coverage, supplements your business property insurance. It covers certain costs associated with accidental breakdown of machinery or equipment and the resulting property damage or loss. 

Why Do Greeting Card Publishers Need Workers’ Compensation Insurance?  

Excessive employee injuries and illnesses can be financially devastating for your business. Your employees might be susceptible to cuts, pokes, crushed fingers or limbs, and repetitive motion injuries. The use of ink, solvent, and other chemicals can result in eye injuries, respiratory problems, or allergic reactions. Employees can be injured while loading and unloading trucks, driving forklifts, and operating printing presses. Even office workers can get injured from slips and falls and poor ergonomic conditions at their workstations. 

Workers’ compensation insurance provides insurance coverage when accidents happen in the workplace. It ensures that the injured worker gets medical care and income protection while unable to work. 

Workers’ compensation insurance provides benefits to injured workers regardless of who is at fault for their injury. And it will provide death benefits for a worker’s dependents if the worker is killed. 

Your insurance agent can help you navigate your state’s workers’ compensation laws and requirements. Each state has different rules for:

  • The amount of benefits injured employees are entitled to 
  • Which impairments or injuries are covered 
  • How impairments will be evaluated 
  • How medical care will be delivered

In addition to purchasing workers’ compensation insurance, you need robust safety programs that encourage worker compliance in order to keep your workers’ compensation claims and costs under control. Your independent agent can help you develop and implement safety programs as well as find appropriate workers’ compensation insurance. 

What Does Liability Insurance Cover?

Greeting card publishers are at risk for allegations of copyright infringement, libel, slander, defamation of character, and advertising liability. What’s more, at any time one of your customers, business partners, or anyone who visits your premises can be injured or sustain some kind of property damage. 

You can protect your operations, products, and customers with a variety of business liability policies designed for greeting card publishers. 

  • Commercial general liability (CGL) insurance: This coverage is necessary for times when your business is negligent and causes bodily injury or property damage to a third party. Your CGL policy protects you in the event of third-party lawsuits, with coverage for attorney fees, court costs, settlements, and judgments up to the limits of your policy. 
  • Professional liability insurance: Protects you if you make a mistake or an error during the printing process or if you fail to deliver products as promised. In these cases, your professional liability insurance may cover the costs of any legal action against you.
  • Cyber liability insurance: A virus, a hacker, or a glitch in your computer system can wreak havoc on your greeting card publishing business. When clients, employees, vendors, or others have their sensitive data compromised, you’re responsible for paying for many of the damages, and you may also be sued. Cyber liability insurance protects you from the risks associated with cyber attacks, data breaches, viruses, and other cyber-related issues.
  • Environmental liability insurance: If you print greeting cards on your premises, the ink and solvent that you use could be toxic and may contaminate the air, ground, or water if they are not handled properly. Environmental liability insurance covers a variety of pollution exposures.
  • Commercial auto insurance: Covers your vehicle fleet and drivers in the event of an accident or other vehicle damage that occurs. Commercial auto insurance provides coverage for property damage and bodily injury liability claims, vehicle damage, and medical bills, as well as any costs related to lawsuits due to auto accidents involving your vehicle fleet as they transport your products from place to place.
  • Commercial umbrella insurance: Provides an extra layer of liability protection to any of several other policies you might have. Commercial umbrella insurance kicks in when the limits of your other applicable insurance policies have been exhausted, protecting you in the event that a claim exceeds the amount of coverage available from any other applicable policy. 

How Much Does Greeting Card Publisher Insurance Cost? 

In general, greeting card publisher insurance costs will vary depending on the size of your business, the number of employees you have, the amount and value of your commercial property, the location of your business, and a variety of other variables. 

Whether you do your own printing or use an outside printing contractor will have a huge impact on your insurance costs. 

An independent insurance agent can guide you though your options so you get coverage that meets your needs and budget. 

Benefits of an Independent Insurance Agent

Independent insurance agents simplify the search process for finding the right greeting card publisher insurance. They’ll walk you through some handpicked policy options and explain the details.

Most importantly, they’ll be there for you when claim time comes. They know the ins and outs of the process and will make sure your claim is handled appropriately. 


Save on Business Insurance

Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.

The Lowdown on Online Quotes

Online quotes can be tempting. They are fast and easy to get—but are they accurate? And are you getting quotes for the right coverage? For business owners, choosing speed over accuracy can cost you.  

Online quotes can’t and don’t see the whole picture. They can leave out important coverage that will leave you devastated if something unexpected happens. And they can leave out cost-saving opportunities that an agent can help you take advantage of. 

Instead of getting an online quote, find an independent insurance agent now, and get one-on-one consultation and affordable options for the best coverage for your unique needs. 

Share this page on Twitter Share this page on Facebook Share this page on LinkedIn Article | Reviewed by Paul Martin

©2022, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.

Insurance Expert, Paul Martin