Memorial gardens are similar to cemeteries, but in addition to offering casket ground burial, they also offer alternatives like burial vaults, columbariums for cremated remains, and smaller ground burial plots designed for cremated remains.
Memorial gardens are usually smaller, more scenic spaces than traditional cemeteries. They are designed to offer a peaceful, beautiful place to honor a loved one and to spend time in reflection and prayer. They may be separate entities, part of larger cemeteries, or special sites outside of churches or other places of worship.
Owners of memorial gardens face very unique challenges and risks that can undermine their financial success. Your job is to make your customers comfortable in the very worst of times, and if you do your job well, your reputation for quality, personal service will grow.
Unfortunately just one on-site injury or incident of poor service can have the opposite affect and can tear down all that you have built.
Why Do You Need Memorial Garden Insurance?
As a memorial garden owner, you need insurance protection from certain exposures, such as:
- Claims of third party injury or property damage on your premises (injuries to customers, delivery persons, vendors, or other members of the general public)
- Causing financial harm as a result of negligence, errors, or omissions in your services
- Employee injuries
- Damage to memorial garden property or equipment due to fires, hail or other weather events, theft, or vandalism
You need a comprehensive business insurance program that addresses these exposures. Your business insurance should protect your livelihood, your customers, and your employees from the financial devastation that can accompany these kinds of unforeseen events.
What Does Memorial Garden Insurance Cover?
Memorial garden insurance is made up of a variety of business insurance policies that cover your unique property and liability risks. Talk to an independent insurance agent about your need for the following types of coverage.
- Commercial general liability insurance: This protects memorial gardens from a wide range of potential liability claims or lawsuits by third parties. If some type of bodily injury (a mourner slips and falls on your premises) or property damage occurs on your premises, the injured party — customer, vendor, delivery person, etc. — can sue you for damages. General liability insurance covers costs related to these lawsuits, including legal fees, settlements or judgments, and court costs. It also covers claims of advertising liability, slander, and libel.
- Professional liability insurance: This may cover you if you are sued for mistakes, oversights, or failure to deliver services as promised.
- Commercial property insurance: This covers any buildings on your premises as well as their contents. This includes maintenance sheds or grounds keeping tools and equipment. Your property insurance reimburses you for the costs of making repairs and replacing damaged or destroyed property after certain covered events.
- Business interruption insurance: This provides coverage for business expenses and lost income if you are forced to temporarily close your doors to make repairs after some type of covered loss.
- Commercial auto insurance: This covers any owned vehicles that are used by your memorial garden. Commercial auto insurance provides liability, collision, comprehensive, and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage for your commercial vehicles. Your coverage should be based on how your vehicles are used in your business and who will be driving them. If you hire or lease your business autos or if you or your employees drive personal vehicles for business purposes, you may need additional or amended coverage.
- Directors and officers (D&O) liability insurance: This protects specific decision-makers (e.g., a board of directors or advisory committee) from legal judgments and costs arising from certain behaviors or decisions that they make. Without this coverage, these individuals’ personal assets could be at stake if they are sued for unlawful acts, erroneous investment decisions, failure to maintain property, releasing confidential information, hiring and firing decisions, conflicts of interest, and gross negligence.
- Workers’ compensation insurance: This protects employees from on-the-job injuries. Workers’ compensation insurance covers the cost of work-related injuries and illnesses, including medical bills and lost income for the injured workers.
How Much Does Memorial Garden Insurance cost?
Memorial garden insurance costs will vary depending on the size of your business, the number of employees you have, and the value of your commercial property. Other factors such as the crime and weather risk in your area, and more, also impact the cost of business insurance for memorial gardens.
An independent agent who has experience working with memorial gardens can help you decide the types and amounts of coverage you need for your business. The choices you make will determine your cost of coverage.
Find and Compare Quotes
An independent agent can work with you one-on-one to determine the types and amounts of coverage you need. Your agent can get quotes from multiple insurance companies so you can evaluate the cost and coverage options and make the best choice.
Benefits of an Independent Agent
Our agents simplify the search process for finding the right memorial garden insurance. They’ll walk you through the handpicked policy options and explain the details.
Most importantly, they’ll be there for you when claim time comes. They know the ins and outs of the process and will make sure your claim is handled appropriately.
The Lowdown on Online Quotes
Online quotes can be tempting. They are fast and easy to get — but are they accurate? And are you getting quotes for the right coverage? For business owners, choosing speed over accuracy can cost you.
Online quotes can’t and don’t see the whole picture. They can leave out important coverage that will leave you devastated if something unexpected happens. And they can leave out cost-saving opportunities that an agent can help you take advantage of.
Instead of getting an online quote, find an independent agent now, and get one-on-one consultation and affordable options for the best coverage for your unique needs.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Paul Martin
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.