Pet cemeteries are entrusted with the remains of beloved pets.
Unfortunately, just one onsite injury or incident of poor service can create a downward spiral of costly problems and even a lawsuit. What’s more, you are as susceptible to fires, weather events, theft, and vandalism as any other business.
Pet cemeteries are unique businesses with a wide variety of exposures. Just as you may be a trusted adviser to families in need of a resting place for their deceased pets, you also need a trusted partner who can help you find ways to mitigate your risks. An independent insurance agent can help you get the business insurance you need to protect your livelihood.
Why Do You Need Pet Cemetery Insurance?
As a pet cemetery owner, you need insurance protection from certain risk exposures, such as:
- Claims of third-party injury or property damage on cemetery premises (injuries to customers, delivery persons, vendors, or other members of the general public)
- Causing financial harm as a result of negligence, errors, or omissions in your services
- Employee injuries
- Damage to pet cemetery property or equipment due to fires, hail or other weather events, theft, or vandalism
You need a comprehensive pet cemetery insurance program that addresses these exposures. Your business insurance should protect your livelihood, your customers, and your employees from the financial devastation that can accompany these kinds of unforeseen events.
What Does Pet Cemetery Insurance Cover?
Talk to your independent insurance agent about the following types of pet cemetery insurance coverage:
- Commercial general liability (CGL) insurance protects pet cemeteries from a wide range of potential liability claims or lawsuits by third parties. If some type of bodily injury (a visitor trips over broken pavement) or property damage (an employee damages a visitor’s vehicle) occurs on your premises, the injured party (a customer, vendor, delivery person, etc.) can sue you for damages. CGL insurance covers costs related to these lawsuits, including legal fees, settlements or judgments, and court costs. It also covers claims of advertising liability, slander, and libel.
- Professional liability insurance (or errors and omissions insurance) may pay if you are sued for mistakes, oversights, or failure to deliver services as promised.
- Commercial property insurance covers your buildings and their contents. A pet cemetery has typical property exposures, such as damage caused by weather events, vandalism, fire, and theft. Commercial property insurance covers the costs of making repairs and replacing damaged or destroyed property after certain covered events.
- Business interruption insurance provides coverage for business expenses and lost income if you are forced to temporarily close your doors to make repairs after some type of covered loss.
Be sure to talk to your independent insurance agent about any special coverage you might need for heavy machinery that you use in your business.
What Other Pet Cemetery Insurance Policies Do You Need?
You're likely to need some additional coverage to make sure that you can protect against all of your potential risks. An independent insurance agent can help you decide if you need the following types of coverage.
- Commercial auto insurance covers any owned vehicles that are used to pick up and deliver pet remains and for any other business purposes. Commercial auto insurance provides liability, collision, comprehensive, and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage for your commercial vehicles. Your coverage should be based on how your vehicles are used in your business and who will be driving them. If you hire or lease your business autos, or if you or your employees drive personal vehicles for business purposes, you may need additional or amended coverage.
- Workers’ compensation insurance protects employees from on-the-job injuries. Your employees are susceptible to all kinds of injuries, including burns, slips and falls, heavy lifting injuries, and more. Workers’ compensation insurance covers the cost of work-related injuries and illnesses, including medical bills and lost income for the injured workers.
How Much Does Pet Cemetery Insurance Cost?
In general, pet cemetery insurance costs will vary depending on the size of your business, the number of employees you have, the amount and value of your commercial property, the location of your business, and a variety of other variables.
An independent insurance agent can guide you though your options so you get coverage that meets your needs and budget.
Benefits of an Independent Insurance Agent
Independent insurance agents simplify the search process for finding the right pet cemetery insurance. They’ll walk you through some handpicked policy options and explain the details.
Most importantly, they’ll be there for you when claim time comes. They know the ins and outs of the process and will make sure your claim is handled appropriately.
The Lowdown on Online Quotes
Online quotes can be tempting. They are fast and easy to get—but are they accurate? And are you getting quotes for the right coverage? For business owners, choosing speed over accuracy can cost you.
Online quotes can’t and don’t see the whole picture. They can leave out important coverage that will leave you devastated if something unexpected happens. And they can leave out cost-saving opportunities that an agent can help you take advantage of.
Instead of getting an online quote, find an independent insurance agent now, and get one-on-one consultation and affordable options for the best coverage for your unique needs.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Paul Martin
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.
Insurance Expert, Paul Martin