Bus Conversion Insurance
Find Bus Conversion Insurance for Your Budget
Some adventure enthusiasts buy coach or school buses and convert them into recreational vehicles. Whether you hire a company that specializes in converting buses into RVs or you do it yourself, you will need to have specialty coverage in place to protect yourself, your passengers and your investment in your bus conversion. You may have no idea where to find insurance for your converted bus, or you could be concerned that many insurance companies will not insure bus conversions at all.
One of the best ways to get difficult-to-find coverage is to contact an independent agent in the Trusted Choice® network. An independent agent can be an excellent resource, particularly for hard-to-find coverage like bus conversion insurance, because they have access to policies from many different companies. Find an independent agent in your local area today to start comparing quotes and finding the right coverage for you.
Recent Bus Conversion Poll Results
- Polled respondents who performed their own bus conversion: 66.1%
- Respondents who had a professional bus conversion done: 13.6%
- Respondents who bought a bus that had been converted by a previous owner: 14.4%
What Is a Bus Conversion?
A bus conversion involves converting a commercial bus or school bus into a recreational vehicle. Converting a bus into an RV requires seat removal, amongst other changes, in order to add living, sleeping and cooking amenities as well as a bathroom.
From the perspective of an insurance company, a bus conversion must meet certain criteria, typically including the following:
- A refrigeration appliance
- Bathroom facilities
- Heating and air conditioning
- Cooking appliances
- A drinkable water supply
- A 110 to 125-volt power supply
If you perform a bus conversion on your own, it is called a “non-professional bus conversion.” If you hire a professional service to do the conversion for you, it is known as a “professional conversion.” It is easier to get coverage if you hire a professional, but many people enjoy the challenge of converting over a bus to an RV themselves. Note that if you do choose to convert a bus into an RV, it might be wise to consult an insurance professional before you begin.
An independent agent in the Trusted Choice network can help you learn about the requirements insurers set, which will help you to qualify for the bus conversion insurance you need. If you have already completed the conversion, or are in the process of converting a bus into an RV, a local Trusted Choice member agent can still be an excellent resource. Your agent will have access to multiple insurance quotes and carriers and will find the coverage you need for your bus conversion.
Why Is Bus Conversion Insurance Hard to Find?
It can be difficult to find insurance carriers who will provide non-professional bus conversion coverage, or will only provide it under certain conditions. School bus conversion insurance, in particular, can be very difficult to find as insurance companies often favor commercial bus conversions. Insurance requirements vary from state to state as well – so make sure you discuss everything with your independent agent.
When converting a bus or buying one that has already been converted into an RV, consider the following:
- Some companies will accept a bus conversion if the bus was used commercially, but will not offer insurance for a school bus.
- Some insurers will only consider you if the conversion was done professionally, but not if you did the conversion yourself.
- The age, make and model of the bus can also be factors the insurance company will consider. Some insurance carriers will not insure buses that are more than 20 years old.
- Other factors that may affect whether you can find school bus conversion insurance could include the type of motor and whether the bus has manual or automatic transmission.
- In many instances, the insurance carrier may require an appraisal before they will consider providing insurance.
- Another major consideration for converted bus insurance is the mechanical soundness of the vehicle.
Consult with a Trusted Choice member agent to determine if your bus conversion will qualify for coverage with most insurance companies, or if there are adjustments you may need to make in order to find the coverage you are seeking.
How to Insure a Converted School Bus
Insurance coverage for a converted bus will vary from company to company. When buying bus conversion insurance, your policy may include some or all of the following:
- Liability coverage for bodily injury and property damage that you may cause if you are at fault in a accident
- Collision coverage to cover the costs of repairing your RV after a collision, regardless of who was at fault
- Comprehensive insurance for damage or loss due to fire, theft and other perils
- Uninsured and underinsured motorists insurance to provide coverage for your injuries or property damage if you are in an accident caused by a driver who does not have sufficient insurance
- Personal items coverage for the belongings and valuables you have on board
- Towing and roadside assistance for break-downs
- Full timer insurance if you live in your bus full time or travel in it a certain number of days out of the year
In addition to these basic coverage types, you should also talk with your agent about your unique needs and any additional coverage you would like to have in place for complete protection. For example, you might want to buy additional liability coverage, or you may want coverage for special amenities or additions you have made to your converted bus. Your agent can also talk with you about whether it is possible to combine your bus conversion insurance with other policies in order to get discounts and savings.
How to Compare Quotes on Bus Conversion Insurance
Finding bus conversion insurance can be a challenge. You can spend a considerable amount of time looking for companies that provide specialty insurance for non-professional bus conversions, especially school bus conversion insurance.
Independent agents in the Trusted Choice network can research dozens of policies and can often find unusual coverage because of their affiliations with different insurance companies. You'll have a chance to compare quotes with your agent and discuss your options before you purchase.
Find a member agent today, right in your area, and get started comparing bus conversion insurance quotes so you are ready to take your converted bus out on the open road.
« End of box »