A fifth wheel trailer is a great way to haul in style and comfort. But road hazards, accidents and run-ins with wildlife can quickly take all the fun out of your excursion. Getting the right fifth wheel trailer insurance in place can help you recover from mishaps and get back on the road.
Take the worry out of your road trip and get the best coverage for your investment by contacting an independent agent in our network. These agents are available in over 27,000 locations nationwide, which means there is an agent right in your area who can take care of all your RV insurance needs.
Find an agent today to compare RV trailer insurance quotes for your fifth wheel.
Some U.S. RV Facts
- There are 30 million RV users in the U.S.
- RV owners travel an average of 4,500 miles per year
- Average annual RV use is between 28 and 35 days per year
What Is a Fifth Wheel Trailer?
A fifth wheel trailer typically has the following traits:
- These vehicles generally range from 21 to 38 feet in length.
- Although very similar to other conventional makes, these RV’s have a raised forward section located above a fifth wheel device.
- A fifth wheel has a specialized coupling device which is situated on the bed of a pick-up truck.
- They have a large living area which includes appliances and facilities for sleeping, cooking and bathing.
How Much Is RV Trailer Insurance for a Fifth Wheel?
Insurance rates for your fifth wheel can vary depending on the following factors:
- The market value of the RV
- The weight of the RV
- Whether you use your fifth wheel part-time or live in it full time
- How much the contents are worth
- The location in which you reside and where you travel in your RV
- Your driving record
Fifth wheel RV owners pay an average of $800 to $925 per year for insurance. However, a more luxurious vehicle with a medium duty truck can cost $1,300 dollars to insure.
How Much Fifth Wheel Trailer Insurance Do I Need?
The type of fifth wheel insurance coverage you will need should at least include the following:
- Liability coverage for bodily injury and property damage you may cause to another person or their property
- Collision coverage to cover your costs after a crash with a vehicle or objects specified in your policy
- Comprehensive coverage for occurrences such as fire, theft and weather damage (perils covered vary by policy)
- Medical payments coverage, which will cover the costs of injuries to you or your passengers
- Uninsured/underinsured motorists insurance, which provides compensation if you are in an accident caused by a driver who does not have sufficient insurance to cover your injury and property damage costs
- Total loss coverage (especially if you just bought an expensive model)
- Additional personal items coverage for valuables or to cover any limitations on your basic policy
- Roadside assistance and towing to cover the costs of a breakdown
- Full time insurance if you use your motorhome as your residence
- Special programs for stationary fifth wheelers
- Storage insurance
You should also talk with your agent about additional insurance requirements you may need to fully insure your fifth wheel for special circumstances, such as campsite/vacation liability, accessories or after-market enhancements, liability for guests and coverage for vehicles you may tow behind your motorhome.
How to Find Affordable Fifth Wheel Insurance
If you own a fifth wheel, you can often find special insurance discounts to reduce what you pay for your coverage. For example, you can typically reduce your insurance premiums by bundling your fifth wheel and vehicle insurance coverage together.
Additional discounts might be available if you are a non-smoker or have installed an anti-theft device in your fifth wheel. Be sure to ask your local independent agent about companies that offer various discounts and how you can qualify.
When you hit the road you want to make sure you have the right insurance coverage for your fifth wheel RV. An independent agent in our network in your area can help customize an affordable plan for you. Find a local agent today and get the right coverage for your needs at a price you can afford.