Trailer Insurance Claims
How and When to File a Trailer Insurance Claim
Whether you have a boat trailer, horse trailer, motorcycle trailer, or other specialty trailer, you probably paid a pretty penny for it. If it is damaged or destroyed, you don’t want to have to pay for it all over again out of pocket. Hopefully you have it covered, either under your auto policy or separate trailer coverage, and can file an insurance claim.
Some key reasons you may need to file an insurance claim on your trailer include theft, vandalism, and damage from a variety of causes including accidents and severe weather. If you’re not covered, or you are looking for a better customer experience when you need to file claims, contact a Trusted Choice® independent insurance agent for help.
Common Reasons for Trailer Insurance Claims
- Theft: Most commonly, trailer hitches are dismantled and the trailer is stolen
- Equipment failure: Defective hitches, broken tow bars, and broken axles
- Accidents: Backing-up accidents, fishtailing collisions, break-aways
How Do Claims Work for Trailer Insurance?
In the event of an accident, theft or damage to your trailer, be sure to contact your agent or insurance company as soon as possible. The insurer will inform you and/or your insurance agent of all information and documentation that is required to process the claim. You will need all identifying information about you, the insured, your trailer details, information about the reason for the claim and any documentation or photographs you may have.
For example, if your boat trailer is stolen from the boat dock, be sure to document any suspicious activity in the area and whether you have filed a police report. If you’re involved in an accident, be sure to document everything that has happened while it is fresh in your mind. Also take pictures of any damage to your trailer and all the vehicles involved with a camera or mobile phone. Having details and documentation available when you file your claim will help to expedite the claims process.
If you work with a Trusted Choice member agent, your agent will help you complete the claims process and ensure that everything runs smoothly.
When Should You File a Trailer Insurance Claim?
Some examples of times when it may be necessary to file a claim include:
- You are in an accident that damaged or destroyed your trailer
- Your trailer is stolen or vandalized
- It is damaged by severe weather
- Any contents within your trailer are stolen
- Your parked trailer is hit by a passing vehicle that did not stop
- The trailer rolls over due to driving conditions, rough road or another driver’s actions
- Your trailer is damaged due to a fire
How to Avoid Making a Claim
While it is great to know that your trailer insurance claim will be handled quickly, it is preferable not to have to file a claim in the first place. When you are towing a trailer, be sure to use extra caution. For example:
- Make sure the load of anything you are hauling is balanced.
- Maintain a safe speed, as fishtailing is more common when you are traveling faster.
- Be aware of the full length of the car and trailer when reversing or going around corners.
- Make sure your break and reverse lights are properly connected and working.
- Travel especially slowly over rough road, railroad crossings and near steep embankments.
- Brake slowly and evenly, and test brakes regularly on downgrades.
Don’t Become a Victim of Fraudulent Claims
If you are in an accident with another driver, even if it is just a parking lot fender bender, be sure to take pictures of both vehicles. Insurance fraud is rampant today and unfortunately people in minor accidents will sometimes make large claims in an attempt to collect money from your insurance company fraudulently.
Insurance fraud results in higher premiums for honest policyholders, so if you suspect someone of fraudulently trying to deceive an insurer, don’t hesitate to report it.
Filing Trailer Insurance Claims Doesn’t Have to Be Painful
Filing a claim on your trailer insurance doesn't have to be a tremendous hassle. While the stress of accidents, damage, and potential injury might be weighing on you, your insurance agent can help you get the compensation you deserve after an incident.
A local agent in the Trusted Choice network will be there to provide reassuring support on your trailer insurance coverage. If you’re seeking a new policy or a better claims process, find a local agent today.
« End of box »