Even the most experienced drivers can sometimes cause accidents, especially during bad weather. That is why vehicle owners in Thornton are required to have car insurance. From fender benders on 120th Avenue to multi-car collisions on the Northwest Parkway, a reliable auto insurance policy can prevent you from facing a large financial loss because of an accident.
Shopping for car insurance is easy when you work with one of Thornton’s independent insurance agents. These agents can help you obtain and compare customized car insurance quotes from a variety of reliable insurers. That way, you can be sure you are getting the coverage you need at a competitive price. Contact an insurance agent near you to get started.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Thornton, CO?
The average cost of car insurance in Colorado is higher than the national average. In the city of Thornton, the average cost tends to be even higher. Shopping around for the best rate has the potential to save you hundreds of dollars a year.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Colorado average annual car insurance cost: $1,558
- Thornton average annual car insurance cost: $1,617
Of course, these average rates can only give you a general idea of what you might actually be expected to pay. Car insurance costs vary from one driver to the next because they are based on several different factors. When calculating your rate, companies will take into account such things as:
- The make, model, trim, and year of the vehicles you are insuring
- Your age, occupation, driving record, claims history, and credit score
- Details about the other licensed drivers in your household
- Whether you own or rent your home
- The amount of coverage you are purchasing
- The size of your deductible
Frequently, you can get rate reductions if you bundle your car insurance with other policies such as home insurance or renters insurance. Comparison shopping lets you obtain the coverage you need at the lowest offered price. Contact an independent agent in Thornton to easily review a selection of customized quotes.
What Are the Minimum Car Insurance Requirements in Colorado?
Every state imposes its own minimum coverage requirements for auto insurance. In Colorado, all car insurance policies must only include liability insurance. This is designed to cover other people’s damage and medical bills if you cause an accident. This state requires your liability coverage levels to be at least:
- $25,000 in bodily injury liability per person
- $50,000 in bodily injury liability per accident
- $15,000 in property damage liability per accident
While these required amounts may seem high, if you are responsible for an accident that results in serious injuries to others, their medical costs can easily exceed what your insurance policy will cover. In that event, you would be expected to make up the difference out of pocket.
That is why many Thornton drivers opt to purchase car insurance that has higher-than-required liability limits. Some residents of this city also purchase umbrella insurance in order to get even more liability coverage than their policy can offer. Your local insurance agent can help you find the liability coverage you want at price you can afford.
What Else Can Thornton Car Insurance Cover?
In addition to the mandatory coverage, your car insurance provider will also offer a variety of coverage options that you may want to include in your Thornton auto insurance policy. These options include:
- Collision insurance: This covers the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if is it damaged or totaled in a collision, even if the accident was your fault.
- Comprehensive insurance: This covers the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged or totaled by a non-collision event such as a windstorm, hail, or vandalism.
- Personal injury protection (PIP): This covers medical treatment for you and your passengers if you are injured in a collision for which you were at fault.
- Roadside assistance and towing: This covers the costs of assistance if your car becomes disabled while you are away from home, such as if you get a flat tire or run out of gas.
- Gap insurance: This covers the gap between what your car is worth and what you currently owe for it in the event that it is totaled. New cars depreciate quickly, so this coverage may be necessary for the first year or so of ownership.
- Rental car reimbursement: This covers the cost of renting a vehicle while your car is being repaired following a covered event.
Talk to your local insurance agent for help determining which, if any, of these coverage options is a good fit for you.
Why Is Uninsured Motorist Insurance So Important?
Although driving without insurance is illegal in Colorado, some drivers in this state do it anyway. If caught, they can face fines between $500 and $1,000, suspension of their driving privileges, and sometimes even mandatory community service.
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 12.6%
- Percentage of Colorado drivers who are uninsured: 15.3%
If you are in a collision caused by an uninsured driver, that person is responsible for compensating you and your passengers for any damage and necessary medical treatment. Uninsured motorist insurance was created to ensure that you can you receive timely compensation without the need to take legal action against the at-fault driver.
Though it is required in some states, uninsured motorist insurance is optional in Colorado. This insurance can cover you whether you are in a collision with an uninsured, underinsured, or a hit-and-run driver. After compensating you, your insurance company will try to collect the money owed from the at-fault driver, and will absorb the costs if unsuccessful.
Does Thornton Car Insurance Cover against Auto Theft?
The auto theft rate in the state of Colorado is higher than the national rate. The risk is even higher in the city of Thornton. There are about 700 cars stolen in this city every year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
- Colorado auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 3.54
- Thornton auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 5.53
If your car is stolen, you can only get compensation for your loss if your car insurance policy includes comprehensive coverage. Comprehensive insurance covers more than just car theft. It also covers a variety of non-collision damage such as may be caused by floods, garage fires, or falling trees.
Talk to an independent insurance agent to learn more about this optional coverage and find out how much it will cost to include it in your Thornton car insurance policy.
Why Let an Independent Insurance Agent in Thornton Help You?
You can ask a local independent agent for assistance when you are looking for the best auto insurance to meet your coverage and budgetary needs. These agents work for you, not for a particular insurance company, so they can shop around to find you the coverage you want at a price you can afford.
Contact an insurance agent in or near Thornton to get answers to your insurance-related questions and to start comparing customized car insurance quotes.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.