Close to everything and yet just a stone’s throw outside the most urban parts of Boston, Waltham, MA is a beautiful and convenient place to live in. With so many mass transportation options, you can even get by without a car if you choose to. But that limits your ability to get to the grocery store or even take a day trip to the Cape or the Berkshires. You don’t have to have a car, but many people choose to for a lot of reasons. If you make that choice you need to have car insurance.
There are many requirements under Massachusetts law that you have to pay attention to — as well as some concerns unique to the area. Our Independent Insurance Agents are well aware of the challenges, so they are your best first choice for car insurance. Because they can shop around the many agencies that insure in Waltham, auto insurance options for the lowest possible cost will be yours to compare.
Car insurance is expensive in Massachusetts. These are the figures for recent years:
- Across the U.S., car insurance cost $1,311 on average.
- In the Bay State, the average was $1,460.
- This ranks the state 16th for car insurance cost.
- There were $6.5 million in losses that year.
Why is car insurance so expensive? The streets of Boston can be a bit wild at times, and there are a lot of claims. It’s worth your time to get to know your options and be sure that you have the best car insurance for your lifestyle.
Massachusetts Car Insurance Requirements
State law requires every driver to have some basic insurance. The kinds of insurance you can opt for are listed below along with your options:
- Bodily Injury Liability: State law requires a minimum of $20,000 per person covered and a minimum of $40,000 total for all persons injured in an accident.
- Property Damage Liability: The state requires a minimum of $5,000 in protection against damage to any property in an accident.
- Personal Injury Protection: This is also required for all motorists, with a minimum of $5,000 in protection against injury.
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage: Coverage against uninsured drivers is required in Massachusetts as well.
- Comprehensive: This is not required. This is a policy that includes all of the above plus many additional features, including coverage of any damage to the car for any reason.
A comprehensive policy that takes care of anything may have many options for you to select. These can include rental car coverage, which means that you are never without a vehicle even when yours is in the shop. If you need a car to get around for work, this may be the coverage that you need.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in Massachusetts
Uninsured motorist coverage is required by state law for a very good reason. There is a surprising number of people on the roads that do not have any insurance:
- Nationally, 13% of all drivers are uninsured.
- In Massachusetts, 6.2% of all drivers have no insurance.
The rate is much lower in the Bay State than in many other places, but the scofflaws are out there. If one of them hits you, it will be very difficult to get the offending driver to pay for the damage and any medical bills that you may incur. That’s why uninsured motorist coverage is so important, not just required by law, in Waltham.
Number of Auto Thefts in Massachusetts
Car theft is a much smaller problem in Massachusetts than in other states:
- Nationally, 2.28 out of every 1,000 cars are stolen each year.
- In Massachusetts, thieves target 0.96 out of every 1,000 cars.
The rate is low, but theft still happens. That’s why many Waltham drivers carry comprehensive car insurance, even on older cars. If you don’t have this insurance and your car is stolen or vandalized, you have to cover the cost out of your own wallet. Waltham residents who depend on having a car every day need to consider having comprehensive insurance to make sure they are protected.
Find a Great Waltham Car Insurance Policy
The right car insurance is not only a matter of law; it’s the difference between having reliable transportation and getting stuck somewhere. No matter what happens, whether from an uninsured driver, theft or just bad luck on your part, you need the right policy for your lifestyle. Talk to your Independent Agent today to find the right policy. Our agents aren't tied to any one company, so your agent will get you the quote that fits both your needs and your budget.