Mobile homes are a very popular, inexpensive choice for many residents of Mississippi. A mobile home, also known as a manufactured home, is a structure that is assembled in a factory setting, transported to the home site, and then is typically strapped down to a pad or set of piers on your property. If you own a manufactured home on family acreage or in a mobile home park in town, you can protect yourself from financial loss with Mississippi mobile home insurance.
An independent insurance agent in our network can help you find a mobile home policy that fits your needs and budget. These agents work with multiple insurance companies and can help you compare several different Mississippi manufactured home insurance quotes. Contact a local member agent today to find the right coverage for you.
Mobile Home Ownership in Mississippi
- There are 192,749 mobile homes in MS
- Mobile homes account for 16.6% of all MS houses
- 8% of homes in the U.S. are mobile homes
Mississippi is one of the top ten states for mobile home ownership, at a rate of 16.6 percent of all homes. Because Mississippi is prone to tropical storms, hurricanes, and tornadoes, it is especially important to insure your home properly, so that you can afford to rebuild and replace your belongings after a disaster strikes.
Mobile Homes vs. Modular Homes
Since mobile and manufactured homes are made from lighter weight materials than standard homes and are usually secured to posts or piers rather than a foundation, they present extra risks in case of storm or fire. This added risk means that a mobile home policy may cost more than traditional homeowners insurance.
Modular homes, however, are usually made from sturdier materials. They are assembled in smaller pieces at the factory and built onto a foundation at the home site. This means that modular homes have more in common with a site-built house than a mobile home, and they usually require a policy similar to a typical homeowners insurance policy. If you have questions about which coverage is right for your home, an independent agent can discuss your situation, and help you find the right policy.
Get Mobile Home Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Does Mississippi Mobile Home Insurance Cover?
Mobile home insurance is a special type of homeowners insurance. It is built to cover the risks of a strapped-down home, rather than a home that is constructed on a concrete foundation. Your policy will typically include the following coverage:
- Property damage: This coverage helps you rebuild or repair your mobile home after a major storm, tornado, house fire, burglary or other disasters. You can insure your mobile home for actual cash value, which takes depreciation into account, or you can insure for replacement cost, which provides funds to purchase a new mobile home of similar size and quality.
- Contents coverage: If your personal property is stolen in a burglary or destroyed by a natural disaster, this coverage pays to replace your belongings, such as your furniture, appliances, clothing, and electronics. If you have valuable antiques, collectibles or artwork, you may need to add extra coverage.
- Liability: If a guest, delivery person, or intruder suffers an injury on your property, you can be held financially responsible. Liability coverage protects you from the financial fallout of a liability claim or lawsuit against you. It covers your defense fees and covers the injured party's medical expenses and property damage, up to the limits set on your policy. Note that after that you must pay out of pocket. A local agent can tell you more about these and other types of coverage you may need for your mobile home. Other insurance policies many Mississippi residents need include:
- Flood insurance: Your mobile home policy most likely will not cover flood damage. To be covered for flooding, you will need a flood insurance policy. These policies are provided by the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) and are available through independent insurance agents.
- Umbrella liability: An umbrella policy provides added liability protection, at home and away from home, and can protect you from the extensive financial repercussions of a lawsuit.
How Affordable Is Mississippi Mobile Home Insurance?
Although mobile and manufactured homes cost less than most site-built houses, they may cost a little more to insure because of added risk. The lighter construction materials make mobile homes more vulnerable to fires, tornadoes, and storms. However, if disaster strikes, your coverage can save you the huge expense of rebuilding your home and purchasing new belongings. Your mobile home insurance rates depend on the following factors:
- The size, age, and value of the home
- The location of the home, and the likelihood of a tornado
- The local crime rate
- The value of your personal property
- The level of liability coverage you choose
- The deductibles you set
An independent agent may be able to combine your manufactured home insurance with other policies you need to save you money and time each month.
Find the Right Coverage for Your Mobile Home
You can search for a Mississippi mobile home insurance policy the easy way, by allowing an independent agent to do the insurance shopping for you. These agents work with several insurance companies to find the policy that best meets your coverage needs and budget. A local agent can also advocate for you if you ever need to file a claim with your insurance company.
Contact a member agent today, to get Mississippi manufactured home insurance quotes picked just for you.