Houston, the largest city in Texas, has the 6th highest rate of people who lack health insurance for a metropolitan area in the state. The rate of uninsured people in Houston is higher than the state average, and that is higher than the national average. Yet residents do have a variety of options when it comes to Houston, TX health insurance.
The task of sorting through a variety of different healthcare plans may seem difficult, but a local independent Trusted Choice® network agent can make this job much simpler. If you lack coverage or just think that your current plan costs too much, an agent can help you compare multiple Houston medical insurance quotes. Contact a local independent agent to find affordable rates.
Houston, Texas Health Insurance Rates
- Rate of uninsured in Houston: 27.5%
- Rate of uninsured in Texas: 24%
- Rate of uninsured in the United States: 16%
Not every city resident will have the same options. Some people may have to struggle to find a good insurance solution, while others will have more than one alternative open to them. Sometimes it is hard to find the right insurance in a city the size of Houston, and this is why a good health insurance agent can be a great resource.
Common Houston Health Insurance Alternatives
There is no single good healthcare solution for every Houston resident. Your access to health plans, budget, current medical needs and a variety of other factors may figure into your decision. But going without a medical plan is usually a pretty risky idea.
Start by considering some common types of Houston health insurance:
- Employer-based group medical plans
- Individual and family health insurance
- Supplemental health insurance
- State and federal public health plans and clinics
- Private foundations and charities
- The new Texas healthcare exchange
Large local employers like ExxonMobil and Continental Airlines provide their employees with a selection of subsidized group medical plans. Contract workers, the self-employed and even people who work at jobs without group benefits may purchase family and individual health insurance from private insurers or through the newly set-up health insurance marketplace. There are dozens of options open to you with a variety of deductibles, plan limits and co-pays.
Low income Houston residents may apply for a low income public health plan. One example is the Houston Gold Card program, which provides medical services on a sliding scale based upon income. Those that do not qualify for Medicare or Medicaid may be able to purchase coverage at low group rates from the Texas healthcare exchange.
How Much Does Houston Health insurance Cost?
There is no set price for all people or all medical plans. That is why you need to go out and seek premium quotes to compare. Consider some of the things that might affect your family’s rates:
- Group rates: The type of plan selected and employer contribution amounts determine group rates. Employers will pay rates based upon their employee population. Group plans may cover workers, spouses and children.
- Public medical plans and clinics: These plans and clinics may charge rates that are dependent on the applicant’s income. With the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIPs) for example, a family of six with a household income of $30,000 a year would pay less than a family of three with that same income.
- Texas healthcare exchange: Houston residents who earn too much to be eligible for Medicaid and who do not have access to employer-subsidized medical care can now purchase insurance through the newly set-up healthcare exchange. You cannot be turned down for coverage and your rates are based solely on your age and income.
Compare Houston Medical Insurance Quotes
Do not risk getting sick or injured without adequate insurance coverage. Find help accessing the right healthcare plan for your needs. An independent health insurance agent in the Trusted Choice network will work with you to find affordable solutions by comparing Houston medical insurance quotes, explaining different policy options and answering your coverage-related questions.
It is important to make sure that you and your family have access to good quality healthcare. Some people do without medical insurance because they never take the time to explore their options. Contact a Trusted Choice network member agent near you today to learn more about your Houston health insurance choices.