More than 1.4 million people live in historic San Antonio, TX. If you are among the property owners in this fast-growing southwestern city, you will want to be sure to protect the investment you have made in your house by purchasing a suitable and reliable homeowners insurance policy.
Independent insurance agents in the Alamo City are available to help you find the best and most affordable coverage for your home. Find an insurance agent near you to start comparing customized quotes from some of the best homeowners insurance companies in Texas.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in San Antonio, TX?
The average cost of homeowners insurance in the state of Texas is higher than the national average rate, and in San Antonio, rates tend to be even higher.
- National average yearly premium: $1,211
- Texas average yearly premium: $1,893
- San Antonio average yearly premium: $1,901
Keep in mind, however, that an average can only give you a general idea of what you might actually pay. For instance, within the San Antonio metropolitan area, the average cost of home insurance in Waterford Heights will be much higher than in the more affordable Leon Valley neighborhood.
When calculating your rates, insurance companies will take several factors into consideration such as:
- The age, size, value, and structure of your house
- The type of home you are insuring (e.g., single-family detached house, condo, townhouse, mobile home, rental investment, etc.)
- The crime rate and weather risks where your house is located
- Your claims history and credit score
- The size of your deductible
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with other policies like car insurance or ATV insurance
Every insurance company has its own method for computing rates. Comparing quotes from multiple companies lets you choose the policy that offers the coverage you want at the most affordable price.
What Kinds of Damaging Events Are Covered by Home Insurance in San Antonio?
Your homeowners insurance is designed to cover the cost of repairing or replacing your property if it lost or damaged by a covered event.
Unless you have purchased a named-peril policy, which requires you to name the specific types of hazards you want coverage against, you can expect your homeowners insurance to cover the following hazards:
- Severe weather events, including thunderstorms, windstorms, and tornadoes
- Falling objects, including hailstones, branches, and uprooted trees
- Fires, including accidental fires, lightning-induced fires, and wildfires
- Property crimes, including theft, burglary, and arson
You will want to be sure that your coverage limits are high enough in each category so that you will have sufficient funds to repair, rebuild, or replace all of your property if it is destroyed in a major event like a fire.
What about Coverage against Floods in San Antonio, TX?
Homeowners insurance does not cover flood damage.
Floods can be very expensive for homeowners. In fact, FEMA reports that as little as one inch of rainwater in your home can cause as much as $25,000 worth of damage.
Fortunately, only about 4% of the properties in San Antonio have a 26% or greater risk of sustaining significant flood damage over the next 30 years. If your house happens to be one of them, you may want to give serious consideration to supplementing your home coverage with flood insurance.
Affordable flood insurance policies are available through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), a program that is administered by FEMA.
Save on Home Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Is Loss of Use Insurance?
If a covered disaster like a tornado or a wildfire damages your house, it may be rendered unsafe for habitation until repairs are made. If this happens to you, loss of use insurance, which is included in your San Antonio homeowners insurance policy, can help.
Loss of use insurance can cover the various costs associated with obtaining temporary shelter while your home is being repaired following a covered event. It can pay for things like:
- The cost of accommodations in a hotel or short-term rental unit
- A meal allowance, if your accommodations do not include a kitchen
- Moving costs and storage fees
- Mileage reimbursement if you must drive further to get to work
- Pet boarding costs, if applicable
Your loss of use coverage can continue until your house is brought back up to code and is safe to return to, or until you have purchased or built a different home to move into, which may be necessary in the event of a total loss.
Why Is Liability Insurance Important for San Antonio Homeowners?
Anybody can one day find themselves on the wrong end of a liability lawsuit. Fortunately, every home insurance policy also provides personal liability protection.
If you or someone in your household unintentionally causes someone else to experience injuries, property damage, financial loss, or other harm, your homeowners liability insurance can shield you from large financial losses by covering expenses like:
- Legal consultation and defense fees
- Mediation costs
- Court costs
Examples of some of the things your homeowners liability insurance can cover against include:
- Injuries sustained by visitors on your property that can be attributed to negligence on your part
- Injuries caused by your pets, such as if your dog breaks free from its leash and bites a pedestrian
- Accidents caused by your children, such as if your child kicks a soccer ball through a neighbor's window
- Accusations of libel or slander
Most insurance companies offer between $100,000 and $300,000 in homeowners liability coverage. If you want to have more coverage than your policy can offer, you can also purchase an umbrella insurance policy. This is an affordable way to boost all of your personal liability coverage.
Does Homeowners Insurance in San Antonio Cover against Burglaries?
The burglary rate in Texas is higher than the national rate, and in San Antonio, the risk is even higher. This city averages about 10,000 burglaries a year.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 3.76
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Texas: 4.11
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in San Antonio: 5.24
If your house is targeted by burglars, it may give you some peace of mind to know that your homeowners insurance can reimburse you for your lost property as well as for any damage the thieves may have done to your home. You will need a copy of the police report when you file your claim.
In many cases, if your home is equipped with a burglar alarm or other theft-deterring device, your insurance company will offer you a discount on your homeowners insurance rates. Be sure to ask about this and other potential home insurance discounts when you are inquiring about rates.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent?
The easiest way to find the best and most affordable coverage for your San Antonio home is by working a local independent agent. These agents work for you, not for a particular insurance company, so they can shop around to find a policy that offers the coverage you want at a competitive price.
Discover the many advantages of working with an independent agent. Schedule an obligation-free consultation with an insurance agent near you to start comparing customized quotes from some of the best home insurance companies in San Antonio, TX.
©2023, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.