From Family Foods to the Diamond Discs International, Milwaukee is home to many highly successful, privately owned businesses. Entrepreneur Magazine lists Milwaukee as one of the “hottest” U.S. cities in which to start a company in part because of the many federal, state and local programs designed to help budding business ventures. If you own one of the many small businesses in this city that require the use of company-owned vehicles in their day-to-day business operations, you will need to purchase a Milwaukee, WI commercial vehicle insurance policy.
Use our independent agent matching system to find the best insurance plan in your area. You tell us what you’re looking for, and our technology will recommend the best agents for you. Any information you provide will be sent to only the agents you pick. We do not sell to third parties.
2011 Milwaukee County Motor Vehicle Accident Locations
- Total number of accidents in Wisconsin: 112,516
- Total number of accidents in Milwaukee County: 19,849
- Number of Milwaukee County accidents on local roads or streets: 11,894
- Number of Milwaukee County accidents on state highways: 4,743
- Number of Milwaukee County accidents on the interstate system: 3,212
If your privately owned business relies on company-owned vehicles as part of its daily operations, commercial vehicle insurance is necessary not just because the state mandates it but because, without it, the liability charges from a single accident have the potential to bankrupt your company, particularly if the accident proves to be fatal.
Commercial vehicle insurance policies are as varied as the businesses that rely on them. Company vehicles can range from smaller vehicles such as delivery cars and vans to construction vehicles such as dump trucks or even large cargo trucks, including 18-wheelers. Companies will have different coverage needs for these vehicles depending on their size, passenger capacity, cargo types and purpose.
Crash Statistics for the City of Milwaukee
- Total number of fatal crashes: 34
- Total number of crashes resulting in injuries: 3,836
- Total number of crashes resulting in property damage: 8,815
- Total estimated cost of accident-related damages: $264,128,600
Many Commercial Vehicle Accidents Are Preventable
Statistically, the most common cause of motor vehicle accidents in Milwaukee is driver error. You can minimize the risks faced by your company by carefully hiring experienced drivers with good driving records.
It is also important that you properly maintain your company’s vehicles and that your drivers have access to safety education materials and training. It is highly recommended that you limit the number of hours your employees spend on the road each day because driver fatigue can cause lapses in judgment that can ultimately lead to an accident.
The Four Most Common Causes of Truck Accidents
- Driver distraction or error
- Truck equipment failure
- Inclement weather conditions
- Improper loading
Unfortunately, even the best drivers can sometimes find themselves involved in a vehicular accident. Dangerous intersections, careless maneuvers by other drivers and hazardous weather conditions can all play a role in causing an unavoidable collision.
A Milwaukee commercial vehicle insurance policy can ensure that, following an accident, your business is able to continue operations with minimal financial loss. Most policies will even provide rental or replacement vehicles so that your business can continue uninterrupted operations.
What Does Milwaukee Commercial Vehicle Insurance Cover?
At the very least, your commercial vehicle insurance policy will provide liability coverage to provide compensation for injuries or property damage to third parties. From there, you can build a customized policy by selecting only the coverage options that meet your company’s coverage and budgetary needs. These are some of the options:
- Collision coverage: this provides compensation for damage to your vehicle following a collision, regardless of fault.
- Comprehensive coverage: this covers the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it is lost or damaged due to weather, falling objects, fire, vandalism or theft.
- Medical payments/personal injury coverage: This provides compensation for necessary medical care for your driver and passengers if they sustain injuries in a covered collision, regardless of fault.
- Uninsured motorist coverage: If your driver is in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver or a hit-and-run motorist, this insurance option guarantees coverage for your medical and property damage expenses.
- Roadside assistance coverage: If your vehicle malfunctions while on the road, this coverage provides the necessary towing or roadside assistance.
- Non-owned auto coverage: This covers damage to employees' personally owned vehicles if the employees are involved in a collision while on company business.
There are also a variety of coverage options designed specifically for larger commercial trucks and construction vehicles.
Find Your Ideal Milwaukee Commercial Vehicle Policy
Naturally, a company that relies on a fleet of cars for local deliveries will have vastly different coverage needs than one that uses trucks in interstate commerce or one that uses a variety of construction-type vehicles. This is why commercial vehicle policies offer so many coverage options. When building your customized Milwaukee commercial vehicle insurance policy, you will want to be sure that you are getting all the coverage that you need and not coverage you don't need.
A local Trusted Choice® network agent can make shopping for a policy easy. Contact an agent in your area today to get more information and to begin comparing a variety of competitively priced Milwaukee commercial vehicle insurance quotes.