During previous years, there were 340,746 small businesses, employing 686,517 people, headquartered in Kentucky. More than 1,600 of these businesses were based right here in Winchester, KY. Businesses in the manufacturing, retail trade and construction sectors are most abundant here, but businesses of all types are thriving. Whether you own a larger business like Ale-8-One or an independent contracting company with no employees, it is important that you protect the investment you have made in your business enterprise with a suitable Winchester commercial insurance policy.
Businesses in Kentucky collected $3,723,405 in business insurance claims in recent years. Independent insurance agents in our network can help you identify your business’s exposures and can make appropriate coverage recommendations so that you have the coverage you need when you need it. They can also provide you with a selection of customized Winchester business insurance quotes so you can easily choose the coverage that offers the best value for your money. Find an agent near you to get started.
Your Winchester commercial insurance policy includes general liability coverage. It provides your business with compensation for the legal defense fees, court costs and financial damages that may accompany a covered lawsuit against your commercial enterprise. Your agent can also identify any other types of liability insurance types (such as commercial vehicle or completed operations liability coverage) that may be a good fit for your business. That's why you can be sure you have the right coverage in place to protect your business in the face of a lawsuit. Some liability coverage that may be of particular interest to you includes the following:
- Premises liability insurance: Part of general liability coverage, this covers third-party illnesses, injuries or property damage resulting from an accident on your business premises. According to a recent Travelers Business Risk Summary, 60 percent of small-business owners ranked medical cost inflation as their highest concern and over 30 percent said they felt the least prepared to handle this concern. This insurance covers the unexpected medical costs associated with these accidents.
- Product liability insurance: Also part of general liability coverage, this covers your business against lawsuits related to illnesses, injuries or property damage caused by a product you produce, sell or promote. According to a national study, 71 percent of product liability awards by the courts amounted to $1 million or more, so this insurance coverage can prove quite valuable to your Winchester business.
- Errors and omissions insurance: This is professional liability insurance, which covers those in professional positions against lawsuits due to mistakes, negligence or errors in judgement. Medical malpractice insurance is a well-known example of professional liability insurance. Considering that 53 percent of medical malpractice awards by the courts amounted to $1 million or more, it is apparent that this this coverage can prove vital.
Business Interruption Insurance for Winchester Businesses
- Recent Gross domestic product (GDP) for U.S.: 2.2%
- Recent Gross state product (GSP) for Kentucky: 1.6%
- The recent GSP 0.6% was lower than the recent GDP
Businesses in Winchester contribute to Kentucky’s gross state product. However, if a covered disaster, such as a major storm, forces you to halt commercial operations for an extended time while repairs are made, your business will not be generating any revenue at all. In some cases, this loss of income can lead a small business into bankruptcy.
Fortunately, you can shield your business from this risk by making sure that your Winchester commercial insurance portfolio includes business interruption insurance. With this insurance, your business receives a continuation of income during the time that it is not operational because of a covered event. This coverage is typically limited to one year, though some policies may allow for longer coverage periods.
Property Insurance for Small Business in Winchester
- Number of recent natural disasters in the U.S.: 119
- Only 61% of losses from natural disasters were covered; $9.7 billion from damage was
Whether they are man-made, like uncontrolled fires or explosions, or acts-of-God, like severe storms or tornadoes, major disasters can lead to significant property damage. Fortunately, your Winchester business insurance policy includes commercial property coverage. This insurance covers most of your business-owned assets, including such things as merchandise, machinery, tools, outdoor signs, computers, display cases and office furniture. Due to the diverse coverage needs of businesses in varying industries, working with an agent who can recommend any additional property coverage (such as inland marine insurance or bailee insurance), when appropriate, is beneficial.
Workers' Compensation for Winchester Businesses
If your workers are injured on the job or become sickened as part of doing their job duties, your business is liable for covering associated costs. These can include medical treatments, lost wages and, in extreme cases, death benefits. Workers' compensation insurance, colloquially referred to as workman’s comp, provides this coverage. All Kentucky businesses that have a least one employee are required by law to have this insurance. Your agent can help you find great coverage at a competitive rate.
Employee Coverages for Small Businesses in Winchester
- Total recent spending on premiums in Kentucky: $697,974
- Ranked 25th for highest premiums in the U.S.
- Annual cost of health care for small businesses in recent years: $5,077/person or $15,463/family
If your Winchester business employs at least 50 full time workers, you are required by law, as stated in the “employer mandate” portion of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), to provide them with subsidized health insurance coverage. Even if you run a smaller business and are not required to offer health insurance, an employee benefits package that includes life and health insurance can help you attract and retain talented workers. It can also qualify your business for federal tax incentives, so it may be worth the cost. If you are interested in learning more, you can talk to your agent about finding suitable and affordable coverage options.
Cyber Crime Insurance for Winchester Small Businesses
- Number of identity theft complaints in Kentucky in recent years: 2,358
- Ranked #43 highest for identity theft complaints in the U.S.
- Only 22% of businesses have a cyber/data breach response plan
Data thieves can hack into your business computer system and steal sensitive information, such as your customers’ personal and financial data. It happens more frequently than you might want to believe. If your business falls victim to this crime, it can be held liable for tens of thousands of dollars in damages. Cyber crime insurance is a new type of liability coverage that shields your company from large financial losses associated with this kind of crime. If you keep electronic records, including vital customer information, you may want to talk to your agent to learn more about how adding cyber crime insurance to your Winchester business insurance portfolio can be of benefit to your business.
Find the Right Winchester Commercial Insurance for Your Business
Every business has specific coverage needs, and these can vary significantly from one industry to the next. That is why there is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all business insurance plan. It is also why building the right coverage can sometimes be extremely complicated. The experienced agents in our network can help you identify the exposures particular to your business and can recommend the right coverage types to mitigate those risks.
Our agents are free to work with several different insurance companies, so they can help you find the best and most affordable coverage as you build your Winchester business insurance package. There are many agents with offices in Kentucky, including in and near the city of Winchester.
Find an agent near you to get more information, discuss your coverage needs, and compare Winchester commercial insurance quotes.