Kentucky Landlord Insurance

Get a full analysis of Kentucky landlord insurance costs, coverage, and companies.

Ann Herro, Insurance Expert Written by Ann Herro
Ann Herro, Insurance Expert
Written by Ann Herro

Ann Herro has been writing about insurance and employee benefits for over 15 years. She has covered topics as easy as insuring a car, and as difficult as transparency in healthcare costs.

Reviewer: Jeffrey Green Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
Reviewer: Jeffrey Green
Reviewed by Jeffrey Green

Jeff Green has held a variety of sales and management roles at life insurance companies, Wall street firms, and distribution organizations over his 40-year career.  He was previously Finra 7,24,66 registered and held life insurance licenses in multiple states. He is a graduate of Stony Brook University.

Landlord visiting renter living apartment. Find Kentucky Landlord Insurance.

Find the Best Landlord Insurance Options in Kentucky

With a population of over 4.5 million, renters make up a significant portion of the residents in Kentucky. In fact, renters occupy nearly 32% of the housing units in the state.

That means that there are also a significant number of rental properties and landlords in the state. If you’re a landlord in Kentucky, you need landlord insurance to protect your investment in your rental property. Landlord insurance covers property damage and lawsuits, keeping you from financial ruin. 

A local independent insurance agent can help you get landlord insurance quotes from multiple insurance companies in Kentucky so you can find the policy that best meets your needs and budget.

Best Landlord Insurance Companies in Kentucky

Several insurance companies offer highly-rated Kentucky landlord insurance. The following are some of the best landlord insurance companies in Kentucky. These companies provide a mix of valuable coverage offerings and competitive pricing. 

  • Progressive: Progressive is based in Ohio and offers personal insurance, including landlord insurance. Kentucky residents can look to Progressive for most of their personal insurance needs. 
  • Travelers: Travelers offers highly-rated landlord insurance in Kentucky. It can meet your additional personal insurance needs with a full line of products, including homeowners, auto, boat, identity theft, umbrella, and other coverages. 
  • Foremost Insurance Company: Foremost was founded in 1952 and offers a wide range of coverage, including landlord insurance, in 50 states. 
  • Safeco: Safeco has been protecting individuals and families since 1923. The company offers landlord insurance in Kentucky, as well as a comprehensive range of other personal insurance policies. Working through independent agents, Safeco makes it easy to get the best mix of coverage and pricing.
  • Central Insurance Companies: Central Insurance Companies is a well-established carrier with more than a century of history in the insurance industry. It provides a wide range of coverage options, including landlord insurance, in 24 states. 

An independent insurance agent in your area can help you learn more about these and other landlord insurance companies in Kentucky. A local agent can help you get competitive quotes for the coverage that fits your needs.

What Is Landlord Insurance?

Landlord insurance is similar to homeowners insurance in that it protects your residential property in the event of a fire, storm damage, or other covered perils. 

The difference is that landlord insurance is written to specifically protect landlords in their unique situation, such as protecting the building but not the personal property of the tenants, as well as covering loss of rental income and the increased liability risks that landlords face.

Is Landlord Insurance Required in Kentucky?

Residential property owners who rent out dwellings to tenants are not required by law to have landlord insurance. If you've got a mortgage on your rental property, your lender will require you to have landlord insurance. 

There are situations where an insurance company will require that the policy you purchase to protect your residential rental property be classified as landlord insurance, not homeowners insurance. 

Here's how insurance companies typically treat residential rental properties (but this will vary by insurance company):

  • If you have tenants occupying your property for 30 continuous days or longer, most insurance companies will require you to carry landlord insurance instead of homeowners insurance.
  • If you have occasional tenants staying in your home for short-term rentals, your home insurance provider may allow you to add an endorsement to your policy that will provide you with suitable coverage.
  • If you frequently rent out your property to short-term tenants, such as if you have it listed on Airbnb or VRBO, you may not be able to cover it with home or landlord insurance. Instead, your property will be considered a business, and you will need to purchase commercial insurance coverage.

An independent insurance agent in your area can help you determine how to cover your particular rental property appropriately.

What Does Landlord Insurance Cover in Kentucky? 

Landlord insurance in Kentucky provides property insurance for the building itself and other structures coverage for detached structures like garages, sheds, or fences. These cover physical damage caused by fire, lightning, wind, hail, ice, snow, or other covered perils. 

Landlord insurance in Kentucky also offers coverage for any personal property you may have on the property (e.g., maintenance equipment, lawnmowers, etc.), but it will not cover your tenants’ possessions. 

A landlord insurance policy in Kentucky also includes landlord liability coverage. It protects you if someone is injured on your property or if you are responsible for damaging someone else’s property (e.g., a tenant’s or a visitor’s property). 

Landlord liability insurance covers the costs of any medical treatment or property repairs that are required. It also covers legal costs (e.g., attorney fees, court costs, and financial settlements or judgments) if you’re sued. 

Loss of rental income coverage is also an important component of landlord insurance in Kentucky. If your rental property is damaged by a fire, a storm, or some other covered peril, you may be able to receive coverage for your lost rental income if your tenants have to move out in order for you to make repairs to your building. 

A local independent insurance agent can help you decide if you need additional types of coverage for your rental property. 

What Else Can Kentucky Landlord Insurance Cover? 

Some insurance companies offer additional coverage options that you can include in your Kentucky landlord insurance policy, such as:

  • Non-occupied dwelling coverage: This provides coverage during the times that your rental property is vacant. Many insurance companies will not honor claims for damage that occurred in a home that had been vacant for more than 30 days unless the landlord carries this optional coverage.
  • Building code coverage:  This is most beneficial if you own an older property. Building codes may have changed since it was built, so if it is damaged, contractors doing repairs may identify additional renovations that are necessary to bring it up to code. This insurance can cover these unexpected extra costs.
  • Rent guarantee insurance: This offers you some protection if a tenant fails to make rent payments. Your policy can cover the revenue losses for a set period of time, which is typically long enough for you to complete the eviction process. Rates are based mainly on the amount you charge in rent and the creditworthiness of your renters.

Rent guarantee insurance is sometimes referred to as eviction insurance, as it may cover the cost of evictions. Keep in mind that this coverage is very expensive, and you won't likely recoup all of your losses. You'll have to pay a deductible, and it will typically only cover a percentage of the monthly rent up to a set limit. 

Landlords in Kentucky should be aware of the various coverage options that are available so you can be sure you are getting all the coverage you need to protect your investment and your income. An independent insurance agent can help with your landlord insurance in Kentucky. 

What's Not Covered by Landlord Insurance in Kentucky?

As with all insurance policies, landlord insurance has some limitations. Your Kentucky landlord insurance policy will not cover:

  • Flood damage: This isn't covered even if the flood is the direct result of a covered storm. To be covered, you will need to supplement your landlord insurance policy with a flood insurance policy.
  • Intentional damage caused by tenants: Sometimes, tenants act badly out of spite or in retaliation for an eviction notice. If they damage your property on purpose, most landlord insurance policies will not provide coverage. You will instead need to sue the tenant to get compensation.
  • Normal wear and tear: Things break. Unless they broke because of a covered event, your landlord insurance policy will not cover them. If the refrigerator in your rental property suddenly stops working or if the hot water tank fails, you will need to cover repair or replacement costs on your own.

It is important to be aware of what your policy does and does not cover so that you do not face any unfortunate surprises later. When you work with an independent insurance agent in your area, your agent can help you review your policy and understand when your coverage doesn’t apply. 


Save on Landlord Insurance

Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.

How Much Does Landlord Insurance Cost in Kentucky?

Owning a rental property can sometimes be riskier than owning a private dwelling. For that reason, landlord insurance generally costs about 25% more than a standard homeowners policy in your area.

The cost of landlord insurance in Kentucky can vary considerably based on your unique property and risk factors. The owner of a single-family rental home won't pay the same for landlord insurance as the owner of a multi-family apartment complex. 

What's more, insurance companies calculate the relative risk to your properties and what to charge you for landlord insurance based on things like:

  • The location, crime rate, and weather risks for your property
  • The age, size, condition, and construction of the building
  • The number of rental units 
  • Whether your complex has a swimming pool or other high-risk attributes

You may be able to save on your landlord insurance premiums if your buildings have fire sprinklers, burglar alarms, gated access, or other security systems installed in the complex and in the rental units. 

Your best bet is to work with an independent insurance agent who can get quotes from multiple insurance companies in Kentucky. You can compare costs and coverage and choose the landlord insurance policy that offers the best fit for your budget.

Kentucky Landlord Insurance FAQs

Landlord insurance in Kentucky provides several different types of coverage:

  • Dwelling coverage: Covers the building itself for any physical damage caused by fire, lightning, wind, hail, ice, snow, or other covered perils. 
  • Other structures coverage: Helps pay to repair detached structures (e.g., a garage or shed) on your rental property if they're damaged by a covered loss.
  • Personal property coverage: Covers the landlord's personal property used to service the rental (e.g., lawnmowers, snowblowers, maintenance equipment) left on site if it's damaged by a covered loss. (This does not cover your tenants' possessions.)
  • Landlord liability coverage: Protects you if someone is injured on your property or if you are responsible for damaging someone else’s property. 
  • Loss of rental income: Coverage for your lost rental income if your tenants have to move out so you can repair your building after a fire, storm, or some other covered peril.

Residential property owners are not required by law to have a landlord insurance policy to rent out their property. If you have a mortgage on your rental property, your lender will require that you have landlord insurance. 

There are also situations where an insurance company will require that the policy you purchase to protect your property is classified as landlord insurance, not homeowners insurance. 

Whether or not you'll need landlord insurance or homeowners insurance is usually determined by how you use your property and the insurance company you select.

On average, landlords in the U.S. spend about $1,083 a year on their landlord insurance policies. Landlord insurance generally costs about 25% more than a standard homeowners insurance policy in your area.

Yes. Many landlords require tenants to purchase renters insurance to avoid disputes arising from damage to the renter's belongings, as well as any disputes over liability claims or lawsuits. 

If you require your tenants to have renters insurance, it must be spelled out in the lease agreement, with specific tenant responsibilities and the consequences of not providing proof of insurance clearly stated.

Your landlord insurance covers damage caused by tenants in some circumstances. Here’s how landlord insurance in Kentucky typically responds to two different types of tenant damage:

  • Sudden and accidental damage: Typically, landlord insurance in Kentucky will cover sudden and accidental damage caused by a tenant. If, for example, the tenant accidentally causes a kitchen fire, any damage to walls, countertops, cabinets, and other covered parts of the building should be covered by your landlord insurance. Damage to your tenants’ furniture, cookware, and so on will be covered by their renters insurance, if they have it. 
  • Intentional damage: Standard landlord insurance policies can’t protect you if your tenant punches in a wall, kicks in a door, or otherwise intentionally damages some part of a unit. 

When you purchase landlord insurance in Kentucky, be sure that you understand exactly what is and is not covered. You may also be able to purchase certain types of optional coverage that fill in some of the gaps.

Standard landlord insurance in Kentucky typically won't cover the cost of evictions. However, eviction insurance, or rent guarantee insurance, can be purchased separately from some insurance companies. It will cover some of the costs involved in an eviction, as well as some of the rent you miss out during the eviction process.

No, landlord insurance in Kentucky does not cover floods. But you can purchase flood insurance designed for landlords from the National Flood Insurance Program and some private carriers.

A local independent insurance agent can help you find a competitively priced landlord insurance policy that meets your needs. Independent agents aren’t tied down to one carrier. They can get quotes from multiple insurance companies so you can choose the Kentucky landlord insurance policy that best fits your needs and budget. 

Contact an independent agent in your area today for a free, no-obligation consultation.

Share this page on Twitter Share this page on Facebook Share this page on LinkedIn,US/PST045223