Motorhome Insurance – Protection on the Go
The open road is calling. Whether you are heading to the coast or traveling the Great Plains, be prepared with insurance coverage for your motorhome. What motorhome or RV insurance is right for you? The answer depends on the type of RV you own.
RV and Motorhome Types
- Class A Motorhomes: largest RVs on the road – a home on wheels
- Class B Motorhomes: The small RVs – a van with amenities
- Class C Motorhomes: Midsize models, sometimes called mini-motorhomes
- Motorhome Bus Conversion: A bus converted to an RV
- Travel Trailers: Towable motorhomes typically attached by trailer hitch
- Fifth Wheels: Towable motorhomes attached to a truck with a fifth wheel hitch
- Truck Campers: Add-on campers attached to a truck bed
To find out what RV insurance is best for your vehicle and your needs, talk to a Trusted Choice® member agent. A local professional can compare motorhome insurance quotes and work with you to find the coverage that best meets your needs.
What Does RV Insurance Cover?
RV insurance (also known as motorhome insurance) covers the cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle after an accident. Liability coverage is required in most states and covers property damage, medical costs and legal fees if you cause an accident. Several states also require uninsured/underinsured motorists coverage. This coverage insures you in the event that you are hit by a driver who does not have insurance, or does not have enough to pay for your damages.
When you are preparing to buy an insurance policy, the types of insurance and amounts you need should be based on how you use your motorhome. If the vehicle serves as your residence full time, you will need greater coverage than if you only occasionally use it for a trip or two during the summer. For example, as a full-timer, you will need liability coverage that is similar to your homeowners insurance to cover you if someone is injured on your “property” (which in this case is on wheels).
Full-timers who keep all of their belongings in their motorhome should also consider personal property coverage. Just as you would want your home policy to include coverage for your belongings, valuables, jewelry and collectibles, your RV insurance policy should include that too.
On the other hand, if you only use the RV seasonally, you will need to consider how to insure it when it is not in use. How you store your motorhome will make a difference for your insurance needs, depending on the climate, weather hazards, and risk of theft and vandalism where you live.
How Much Does RV Insurance Cost?
Your motorhome insurance cost will depend on the type of coverage you buy and your state requirements. There are other factors to consider as well, such as:
- Where you travel: A full-timer will need a more in-depth coverage plan than a recreational motorist. It also matters how far you travel and what regions you will be in. Areas with more risk will need additional protections.
- The type of RV you own: The type of motorhome you are driving will make a difference for your coverage. A truck camper or travel trailer does not have many amenities and is usually cheaper to repair or replace after an accident than a higher value Class A motorhome.
- Your driving record: Your history as a driver is important. It tells an insurance company whether you are a risk-taker or more cautious. Drivers with a history of traffic tickets and accidents are often considered higher-risk, and will therefore typically pay higher premiums.
How to Get RV Insurance Quotes and Find the Right Coverage
Searching for online insurance quotes for your RV insurance is a great way to start saving. You can quickly get a general idea of what you will be spending on your motorhome insurance coverage, but you might still have questions. The great news is that there are agents in the Trusted Choice network standing by, ready to help you get the policy you need.
A local independent agent in the Trusted Choice network will find an insurance company that offers the coverage you are looking for and supply free quotes. Your Trusted Choice member agent can not only compare plans from multiple companies to find the right fit for you, but can also look for all available discounts and customize an RV insurance policy just for you. Contact an agent today to get started.
« End of box »