Campervans are popular vehicles that many people use to get away for the weekend, and are considered a form of recreational vehicle (RV). Whether you use your Class B motorhome to go to concerts, take road trips or enjoy the many wonders of the great outdoors, you likely invested some significant resources into your camper. In order to protect your investment, consider specialized Class B camper van insurance for your recreational vehicle.
An independent agent in the Trusted Choice® network can help you get the right insurance for your RV or camper. Find a local agent in your area to compare Class B camper van insurance quotes today.
3 Leading Causes of Traffic Fatalities in the U.S.
As you start to think about risks on the road and what your need for RV insurance covearge might be, consider these statistics about the leading causes of motor vehicle fatalities:
- Drunk Driving: 32%
- Speeding: 31%
- Distraction: 16%
When you hit the highway or head to a local music festival in your Class B motorhome, remember that you face all the same risks as every other driver on the road, and more. Because you carry your belongings with you, have decreased visibility due to the size of the rig, and operate a vehicle that can be top-heavy and tricky to drive, you probably have a higher risk of a major accident than an average sedan.
What Is Campervan Insurance?
Campervans are considered Class B recreational vehicles, which are the most affordable type of RV to insure. Depending on the insurance company you work with, the Class B vehicle type can include vehicles that:
- Are used for camping, such as a campervan, conversion van, or a VW camper
- Typically have an extension or raised roof, a small kitchen/kitchenette, sleeping accommodations, a 110 volt battery hookup, and a toilet
- Range in size from 16 to 21 feet in length
- Accommodate 2 to 4 sleepers
- Have limited space and is generally used for short trips or as a second family vehicle
Class B campervan insurance is a specialized motorhome insurance policy that is required for these types of vehicles.
How Much Is RV Insurance for a Class B Camper Van?
The cost for camper van or VW camper insurance can vary quite a bit. Your specific costs will depend on a variety of factors such as:
- The state or location where you live
- Your driving record
- The type of RV insurance coverage you buy
- The age and value of the campervan
- The weight and length of the vehicle
- The insurance company you use to buy your insurance
Depending on the vehicle, some campervans can even be covered under a standard auto policy. Your annual coverage will most likely run somewhere between $500 and $1,000 for the year, with some variance based on the factors above. You may be able to save with motorhome insurance discounts from your insurance company. For example, if you bundle your various auto policies together under on insurance company, you can typically benefit by getting a discount rate.
An independent agent in the Trusted Choice network can help you compare Class B camper van insurance quotes from several insurance companies. Independent agents aren’t “captive” to one insurance company, and instead they can shop for the best RV insurance rates from a range of reputable insurers.
How Much Camper Van Insurance Do I Need?
Typically you want an RV insurance policy that includes the following coverage, at a minimum:
- RV Liability coverage for bodily injury and property damage that you may be responsible for if you cause an accident
- Collision coverage, which pays for damage to your vehicle in an accident, regardless of who is at fault
- Comprehensive coverage which covers you for fire, theft, vandalism and other “non-collision” events
- Uninsured/underinsured motorists coverage, which will provide compensation when another driver causes an accident that results in your injuries or property damage
- Personal property coverage for personal items you have on board.
- Roadside assistance and towing
You may be able to buy additional coverage if you want more liability protection or coverage for any enhancements you have made to your vehicle. You also may need additional insurance for any vehicles or trailers you are towing.
How to Compare Quotes on RV Insurance
If you own or are thinking of buying a Class B RV, you need to have the right insurance coverage for this particular type of vehicle.
The easiest way to find the best coverage and at the most affordable rate is to contact an independent agent in the Trusted Choice network. A local independent agent will help you compare RV insurance rates from several reputable insurance companies so you can find the right coverage for your needs and budget.
Find a member agent in the Trusted Choice network today and get the camper van insurance coverage you need for your next weekend getaway.