Chicago has nearly always been a busy and exciting place to live and work. About 28 percent of this city’s homes are rental units. If you are a tenant of a home, apartment or condo, it is important to consider buying Chicago, IL renters insurance to protect your belongings from loss.
Lots of renters forgo purchasing renters insurance because of the added cost, but consider how much more you would spend replacing all your personal items in the event of a burglary or fire. Renters insurance doesn’t have to be expensive. An independent agent in the Trusted Choice® network can help you compare Chicago renters insurance quotes from multiple insurance companies to find the best coverage for your needs.
- Theft or loss of personal items, such as computers and laptops, jewelry, furniture, clothing and other items
- Unauthorized credit card transactions• Accidents and injuries for which you are responsible
- Damage you accidentally cause to other people’s property
- Theft of your personal belongings from your vehicle
Protecting Your Assets
Renters often think they don’t need insurance, but getting this coverage in place can actually provide an excellent safety net. Your landlord’s insurance policy typically will not cover your personal belongings – unless the damage or loss you experience is due to the property owner’s negligence. It also won’t cover your personal liability. The cost of renters insurance is typically very affordable, especially compared to what it would cost you to replace your belongings after a loss.
Consider the following:
- Have you inventoried your personal possessions to know what you have?
- How much would it cost you to replace all of your items after a fire?
- What would happen if someone were injured on your property?
Renters insurance is important whether you are living in a dorm at the University of Illinois or in a Chicago high-rise, because it covers your belongings as well as your personal liability. Personal liability insurance helps protect you financially if you are responsible for another person’s injuries or property damage and face a lawsuit.
Most likely, your personal belongings are just as important to you as the roof over your head. Keep them covered with a renters insurance policy. A local independent Trusted Choice member agent will be happy to answer all of your questions about Chicago renters insurance.
Risk Factors That May Affect Your Renters Insurance Costs
- 33% of all burglars enter through the front door; 23% enter through windows.
- Deadbolts on doors and secure window-locks can prevent most burglaries.
- The risk of serious injury or death in a residential fire is cut in half for those who have working smoke alarms.
If you pay attention to the above list, you’ll find some things you can do to reduce your renters insurance rates. For example, you can make sure your home has working smoke detectors and that all the window locks and deadbolts are in good working order. Additionally, having a fire extinguisher in your unit can help lower your rates, or if your apartment is fitted with fire sprinklers, you may also get a discount.
There are lots of ways to save on your renters insurance policy. You may qualify for lower premium rates if you have a good credit score, you have installed burglary and fire prevention equipment, and even if you are a member of certain professional associations.
Do you still have questions about renters insurance? Contact a local independent Trusted Choice member agent today for personal assistance. Your agent can help you compare Chicago renters insurance quotes from several different insurance companies and find the right coverage for your needs.