Any resident of horse-country knows just how important a top-quality trailer is for transportation. Kentucky Derby winners and a number of other famous horses have traveled in the backs of the best horse trailers available, and you can bet that each was protected with trailer insurance. Trailers can transport anything, and the chance of an accident always exists. Your vehicle insurance may only cover a small part of your trailer and will not cover anything you are hauling, but Kentucky trailer insurance will.
Top 4 Causes of Trailer Accidents
- Speeding - (23% of all accidents) Having a trailer hitched to the back of your vehicle can mean you need more breaking room, and that any sharp turns could quickly become dangerous.
- Lack of familiarity with the road - (22% of all accidents) When you don't know the terrain, you might be at a disadvantage when you're hauling a trailer. Rough roads, sharp turns, and visibility can all make driving with a trailer difficult.
- Fatigue - (13% of all accidents) When you're tired, your reactions are slower. This can be deadly when you have a trailer hitched to the back of your vehicle.
- Inadequate evasive action - (7% of all accidents) Sometimes, it's all about experience. If you don't know how you can evade an accident safely with your trailer, you might cause more damage than you intend.
Kentucky Trailer Insurance Covers All Types of Trailers
Trailer insurance covers more than just horse trailers. If you have and use any of the following types of trailers, you may want to consider purchasing a comprehensive Kentucky trailer insurance policy:
- PWC trailers
- Enclosed trailers
- Travel trailers
- Boat trailers
- Auto trailers
- Commercial trailers
What Does Kentucky Trailer Insurance Include?
Choosing the right trailer insurance policy options depends on your particular needs. If you only use your trailer a few months out of the year, you will need a much different insurance plan than someone who transports hundreds of cattle each week will. Knowing what your options are will help you best determine your needs.
- Liability coverage: Although vehicles are required to be covered by liability insurance, trailers are not. It is still a good idea to purchase this form of coverage, however. If you are in an accident and cause property damage or bodily injury to someone else, you are financially responsible and could possibly face a lawsuit. Liability coverage will pay for your legal fees and cover judgments against you.
- Comprehensive coverage: Similar to your auto policy, this coverage will pay for repairs related to collisions, fire, severe weather and theft.
- Total loss replacement: If your trailer is completely destroyed by a covered event, this coverage can compensate you for either the actual cash value amount or the replacement cost amount, depending on the type of coverage you purchased.
- Contents coverage: This may be one of the most important aspects of your Kentucky trailer insurance. This comes at an additional cost with most policies, but the value of the property you plan to haul determines how necessary this coverage is.
Other options you may consider include full-timer coverage, if you have a trailer in which you live during more than half the year, and emergency expenses and roadside assistance. Trying to change a tire on a trailer holding five horses is a multi-person job.
Find Affordable Kentucky Trailer Insurance Quotes
The cost of insurance for trailers in Kentucky can vary. Trailers come in various sizes and have many different purposes. Costs can range anywhere from a couple hundred dollars a year to well over $100,000 for commercial carriers. That is why it is essential to work with an independent agent who can compare a variety of policies and prices from reliable providers. Before you can get an accurate quote, your agent may need to know:
- The make, model and year of your trailer
- The length and width of your trailer
- How frequently your trailer is used and for what purpose
- What you carry, or intend to carry, with your trailer
Your local agent can ensure that you receive the best policy to meet your coverage needs. If you are considering purchasing trailer insurance or want to make sure you are not overpaying for the policy you already have, let an independent member agent help you.
Contact an agent near you today to learn more about Kentucky trailer insurance.