New Jersey is famous for its beach resorts. One such place is Ocean City, which has miles of boardwalk full of family entertainment such as the Wonderland Pier and the Music Pier. In Ocean Grove, state residents can lounge along the endless beaches or enjoy a concert at the famous Great Auditorium. Many of those visitors enjoy having fun on their personal watercraft. If you ride a Sea-Doo, Jet Ski or WaveRunner, make sure you're protected with New Jersey PWC insurance.
There are 10 coastal counties in New Jersey, so personal watercrafts are owned by many residents here. Simplify your PWC policy search by contacting an independent insurance agent in our network. A member agent can find affordable New Jersey PWC insurance quotes for you. Once you get your quotes, you can select the right policy for your personal watercraft.
Recent PWC Accident Statistics
- Number of reported boating accidents: 119
- Number of injuries due to boating accidents: 35
- Number of property damage accidents: 76
- Amount of property damage: $222,000
PWC Insurance Coverage
Jet Ski, Sea-Doo, and WaveRunner are all brand names of personal watercraft you may see on the waters in NJ. PWC insurance generally covers these types of watercraft:
- Sit down PWC: These types of PWC allow the rider to sit down or stand up in the watercraft. They come in two, three or four-person PWCs. With a PWC traveling at a high rate of speed, a rider could be seriously hurt or ejected if the PWC hits another vessel or a huge wake.
- Stand up PWC: These types of PWC allow the rider to stand up or kneel in the watercraft. These types of watercraft are also dangerous when the rider uses excessive speed, hits another vessel or simply loses control.
- Submersible PWC: This type of PWC travels above the water and can travel below the waves for a brief period of time.
A PWC insurance policy may vary from company to company and may or may not include coverage for the following:
- Any damage to the watercraft
- Property damage liability, in case you cause damage to someone else's dock or watercraft
- Bodily injury liability for injuries or death to third parties after an accident you cause
- Watersports liability coverage that will extend coverage to a wakeboarder or water skier being towed behind your watercraft
- Medical payments coverage should you be injured or hospitalized
- PWC wreckage removal
- Uninsured/underinsured coverage
- Personal property that you carry on your PWC
- Accessories on your PWC
- Trailer coverage
- Additional liability coverage
Some of the above coverage types may have to be purchased separately as an insurance rider.
PWC Insurance Cost
The average annual cost of your New Jersey PWC insurance coverage varies by insurer and generally costs $300 to $500 per year. Your PWC premium also depends on a number of factors such as the following:
- PWC year, make, model and horsepower
- PWC operating speed
- Customization modifications
- Safety courses you have taken
- Type of policy coverage you purchased
- Your deductible
Is PWC Insurance Necessary in New Jersey?
A boat license and a New Jersey boat safety certificate are required before you can operate a PWC in this state. PWC insurance is generally not required by law. If you used a personal loan to buy your PWC, the lender will likely insist you insure your PWC.
How Much PWC Insurance Should I Carry?
Insurance coverage costs for a PWC can vary as it depends on what coverage you need. You can get a basic policy that provides liability coverage only, or you can expand your coverage options to include collision and comprehensive coverage. You also have the option to purchase more extensive and comprehensive coverage and add additional insurance coverage options as needed.
Where Can I Get PWC Insurance?
You can get New Jersey PWC insurance quotes by contacting an agent. An independent agent can assist you in finding a PWC policy that gives you the coverage and protection you need.
Contact one of these member agents right now to find a PWC policy at an affordable price so you can enjoy your watercraft activities without worry.