Over three million New Jersey residents rent an apartment, condo, or house, but very few of them have enough New Jersey renters insurance to protect their personal property and finances from a major disaster. Renters insurance is very affordable and not only covers your possessions in the event of an unexpected loss but also protects you from liability risks as well. An independent insurance agent in our network can help you assess the value of your property and find the coverage you need. Contact a local agent today to start comparing New Jersey renters insurance quotes tailored to your home and budget.
New Jersey Rent Statistics
- Percentage of NJ residents who rent a home: 34.37%
- The average NJ renter earns $32,905 annually
- Fair market value of a 2-bed NJ apartment is $1,276 per month
An average renter keeps around $20,000 in personal property in the home. Your personal property may be worth less, or much more. An independent agent can help you assess the value of your possessions, and show you how to purchase adequate coverage for your rental.
Why Renters Insurance Is a Good Idea
Renters insurance is not required by law in any state. However, a landlord can require that you carry some form of New Jersey renters insurance, such as liability and/or personal possessions coverage, when you sign a lease agreement. Even if your landlord does not require renters insurance, it is a good idea to carry a renters policy for your own financial protection. Your landlord is not obligated to reimburse you for most cases of fire, burglary, and litigation related to an accident in your rented housing unless it is due to a structural problem like faulty wiring or rotten flooring. Any loss you face due to theft, broken pipes, severe weather or other disaster is typically your financial responsibility.
What Does a Renters Insurance Policy Cover?
New Jersey renters insurance is usually very affordable, and provides the following coverage:
- Liability coverage: Liability insurance pays a portion of the expense of a lawsuit against you, in the event that someone is injured or suffers property damage in your rental home. It covers the plaintiff's medical expenses, settlement costs, and your legal defense, up to your policy limit. Because a lawsuit can be a huge financial burden, it is a good idea to purchase as much liability coverage as you can afford.
- Personal possessions coverage: This covers your furniture, appliances, clothing, and electronics. You may need to purchase extra coverage if you keep valuable art and collectibles in the home. If your property is destroyed by fire, hurricane, or vandalism, your coverage pays to repair or replace your belongings, up to the limits of your policy. It is also important to know that the personal property portion of your policy covers possessions stolen from your car.
- Displacement coverage: Many renters insurance policies include displacement coverage. This portion of your policy reimburses you if you must find temporary accommodations while your rental unit is being repaired after a fire or other disaster.
A local independent agent can talk with you about your property and situation, and help you decide how much liability and property coverage is right for you.
Actual Cash Value vs. Replacement Cost
Your personal property can be covered in one of two ways:
- Actual cash value (ACV): This coverage would reimburse you for the original cost of your belongings, minus depreciation.
- Replacement cost: this coverage would reimburse you for the dollar amount it would cost you to replace the items as new.
An ACV policy costs less than a replacement cost policy, but it could be more costly for you if you were to lose all your possessions in a single catastrophic event, such as a fire.
Finding Renters Insurance in New Jersey
The cost of a New Jersey renters insurance policy varies from company to company, and from renter to renter. The easiest way to get accurate New Jersey renters insurance quotes is to contact a local independent agent in our network. Independent agents have access to numerous insurance companies and can find the policy you need at an affordable rate.
Contact an independent agent in your area and safeguard your possessions today.