Whether you enjoy the walleye fishing at Devil's Lake or cruising on the beautiful water of the Missouri River System, North Dakota offers variety and adventure for the PWC enthusiast. As the popularity of watercraft sports increases, however, so too do the accidents. Do you have a PWC insurance policy to help you quickly recover from an accident or injury? Before you search for PWC insurance, however, there are a few things to keep in mind.
Use our independent agent matching system to find the best insurance plan in your area. You tell us what you’re looking for, and our technology will recommend the best agents for you. Any information you provide will be sent to only the agents you pick. We do not sell to third parties.
PWC Accident Statistics
These statistics are available from the U.S. Coast Guard Office of Boating Safety:
- Every year, there are thousands of deaths and tens of millions in property damage due to boating and PWC accidents.
- In 2012 alone, there were more than 4,500 deaths and $38 million in property damage due to boating and PWC accidents.
Personal watercraft are fast, powerful and challenging to ride, and they are a popular choice for on-the-water activities. That is why it's important to know how to drive them safely, competently and courteously. All PWC operators should adhere to the following guidelines:
- Know and follow the rules of the body of water on which you are operating your PWC.
- Know your PWC and its power. Know how to maneuver it, and know how to maintain it to cut down on emissions.
- Know your limitations: Don't operate your PWC in unknown waters or attempt tricks beyond your capabilities.
PWC Insurance Requirements in North Dakota
Although not required by North Dakota State law, PWC insurance offers the kind of protection you need while operating your vessel. North Dakota does have the following regulations all boaters and PWC operators must follow:
- Youth 12 to 15 years of age may not operate a power-driven vessel (including personal watercraft) with a motor over 10 horsepower while they are unaccompanied, unless they have passed an approved boating safety course.
- You must register your PWC or boat with the state before legally operating it on public waters.
Taking a PWC safety course not only gives you the skills needed to avoid costly injuries and accidents, but taking such a course can also save you money on your PWC insurance premiums.
Why Is PWC Insurance Important?
You follow the rules of the lake or river; you have taken the North Dakota PWC safety course; and you never operate your vessel beyond your abilities. You're safe, right? But what about the "other guy"? Only a PWC insurance policy can help you make swift repairs to your personal watercraft in the event another boater or Jet Ski operator damages it. A comprehensive policy can also help protect you from lawsuits due to injury or property damage to another person while you are operating your PWC.
What Types of PWCs Can You Insure?
As the popularity of PWCs increases, the number and variety of these types of pleasure boats have also increased. Most ND insurance providers have a policy that can insure most PWCs, including the following:
- Jet Skis
- Aqua scooters
- Stand up PWCs
- Four person PWCs
- And more
What Does PWC Insurance Cover?
The type of coverage your PWC insurance policy will offer depends on the choices you make. You should be able to find a policy that includes the following types of essential coverage, as well as some additional forms of protection:
- Liability coverage: This can help you pay for costs associated with causing another person injury or property damage while operating your PWC. It can also help pay your legal costs if someone sues you for negligently operating your watercraft.
- Collision coverage: This can help pay for repairs to your damaged PWC if it is involved in an accident.
- Comprehensive coverage: This can help make repairs to or replace your damaged or totaled PWC in the event of severe weather, fire, theft, vandalism or any other covered incident.
- Wreckage and spillage coverage: This optional type of coverage can help pay for costs associated with cleanup if your PWC sinks or spills gasoline or other substances in a body of water.
- Accessories coverage: Also optional, this can help pay for repairs or replacement of your safety equipment or other accessories you use with your PWC.
What Factors Affect PWC Insurance Quotes?
The quotes you get from North Dakota insurance providers on your PWC premiums can vary from company to company. Most insurance companies take the following into consideration when they calculate your quotes:
- Your age
- Your experience operating a PWC
- Your PWC and its engine type and power
- Where you use your PWC and how often
- Any safety courses you have completed
It's important to compare quotes from a variety of providers to ensure the policy you buy is the best available.
Where To Find PWC Insurance
Riding your PWC can be a fun and relaxing way to see North Dakota. Just one accident can turn a scenic moment into chaos, however. That's why you want the protection of an insurance policy. Knowledgeable, independent insurance agents in the Trusted Choice® network can help you find quotes from a variety of insurance companies, ensuring the policy you buy will offer the best coverage at the most affordable rates.
Contact a Trusted Choice member agent near you before you hit the water this year.