The Peace Garden State is one of the least densely populated states in the US. Unfortunately, the lower population has not resulted in lower car insurance premiums, which are very close to the national average.
Do you need a new auto policy? Would you like to ensure that your current insurer is still competitive? Use our independent agent matching system to find the best insurance plan in your area. You tell us what you’re looking for, and our technology will recommend the best agents for you. Any information you provide will be sent to only the agents you pick. We do not sell to third parties.
North Dakota Car Insurance Costs
- National average cost per year: $1,474
- North Dakota average cost per year: $1,710
- 12th most expensive premiums in the US
The most recent information available as of 2017 shows that North Dakota average premium costs are $1,710, which is just a little higher than the national average. Keep in mind that your rates will depend on your personal circumstances. When they offer you a quote, insurance companies will look at factors like your driving record and the make and model of your vehicle, as well as where your home is located and whether or not you are married.
North Dakota Car Insurance Requirements
- Bodily injury liability: required
- Property damage liability: required
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP): required
- Uninsured motorist: required
- Minimum liability limits: 25/50/25
- Coverage up to $50,000 for all persons injured in an accident, subject to a limit of $25,000 for one individual, and $25,000 coverage for property damage.
Like most states, North Dakota requires resident vehicle owners to carry minimum liability limits on their auto insurance. State requirements are fairly broad. Violators of this law may have to pay fines and have their licenses suspended until they can present proof of insurance.
North Dakota Uninsured Motorists Data
- National uninsured motorists: 12.6%
- North Dakota uninsured motorists: 5.9%
- North Dakota average vehicle repair cost: $2,629
The percentage of uninsured North Dakota motorists is lower than the US national average. Uninsured drivers are still responsible for any damage and injuries they cause. If your vehicle is damaged or you sustain injury after an accident caused by an uninsured driver, your uninsured motorist coverage can help you recover costs quickly. Your insurer will have the option to try to collect damages from the responsible party, but you won’t have to.
Thefts in North Dakota
- National car theft rate (per 1,000 registered vehicles): 2.49
- North Dakota car theft rate (per 1,000 registered vehicles): 1.48
North Dakota has a lower rate of auto thefts than the national average. A North Dakota safety official stated that one of the biggest reasons for auto-related thefts was leaving valuables in plain sight. He added that it was also very important to lock vehicles, even when they are parked near a residence. Comprehensive auto insurance will also help you reduce your risk of major loss from car theft.
Find North Dakota Auto Insurance Quotes
Every vehicle owner has different needs. An independent agent in the Trusted Choice network will be available to evaluate your individual situation, compare multiple North Dakota auto insurance quotes, and give you professional advice.
Trying to shop for your own best rate and plan can use up a lot of valuable time. An independent agent can make helpful suggestions and do most of the shopping for you so that you can select the best North Dakota car insurance rate for your needs.