The housing crunch in North Dakota has many residents turning to renting their home, apartment or condo. Unfortunately, many tenants neglect to obtain renters insurance on their belongings. Many assume it is too expensive or that their landlord will cover any losses they experience, neither of which is true.
Before you search for renters insurance, however, there are several factors to consider.
Use our independent agent matching system to find the best insurance plan in your area. You tell us what you’re looking for, and our technology will recommend the best agents for you. Any information you provide will be sent to only the agents you pick. We do not sell to third parties.
Renting in North Dakota
According to census data and statistical analysis:
- Once very affordable, many North Dakota oil towns, such as Williston, are facing some of the highest rent rates in the nation.
- The average cost of rent in ND can vary from $650 to well over $2,000 per month.
- The average renter owns $30,000 worth of personal property.
- Apartment fires and severe weather are common in North Dakota.
Why Is Renters Insurance Important?
Many people choose to rent, rather than purchase, their home or condo because of the affordability, the convenient location, or to avoid the hassles of maintenance and other responsibilities of ownership. No matter your reasons, you still want to protect that which you do own. While most landlords carry insurance that covers the building itself, these policies do not extend to your personal property stored inside. A single fire, break-in or severe weather event can leave you homeless and without a stick of anything. Only a renters insurance policy can protect you when disaster strikes.
What Does Renters Insurance Cover?
Most North Dakota insurance providers offer renters insurance policies with the following coverage options:
- Liability coverage: This can help pay for costs associated with an injury or property damage a third party may experience while on your rented property. If a guest or delivery person should injure themselves while visiting, this can help pay for their medical treatment. It can also help pay for your court fees and legal costs should you be sued as a result of that injury.
- Contents coverage: Also called personal property coverage, this can help pay for repairs to or replacement of your belongings should they be damaged, destroyed or stolen during a fire, severe weather event, break-in or other covered event.
You will be able to choose between actual cash value reimbursement or replacement cost coverage for your personal belongings. The differences between the two can mean the difference between a swift recovery and a slower, more expensive process, so choose carefully.
- Actual cash value: This type of reimbursement takes depreciation into account. For example, if your 10-year-old TV is stolen during a break-in, your insurance company will reimburse you the costs it takes to purchase a used, 10-year-old TV.
- Replacement value: This type of reimbursement ignores depreciation. Using the same example, your insurance company would compensate you the cost it takes to purchase a brand new TV with comparable features.
What Will My Renters Insurance Quote Look Like?
The quotes you will find from North Dakota insurance providers will vary from company to company. The premiums you pay will also depend on the following factors:
- How much contents coverage you need
- Your location
- The deductible you choose
- The limits and coverage options you choose
If you own $40,000 worth of personal property, your quote will be higher than someone who only needs $20,000 worth of contents coverage. Also, if you live in a high-crime area of North Dakota, your quote will be higher than someone who lives in a safer neighborhood. You may find that a slightly higher quote is worth the added protection of a replacement cost coverage.
Typically, however, even the most comprehensive renters insurance policies are extremely affordable. Most North Dakota renters should be able to find renters insurance for fewer than $200 per year.
Where Can I Find Renters Insurance?
You work hard to fill your rented apartment or home with the things you enjoy. Protect that investment with a renters insurance policy.
Knowledgeable, independent insurance agents on the Trusted Choice network are always available to answer your questions, suggest coverage options, and even assist you in filing a claim. These agents have years of experience working with North Dakota insurance companies, enabling them to find you a number of quotes from a variety of providers, ensuring the quotes you see offer only the best coverage at the most affordable rates. Contact a Trusted Choice member agent near you to find out how you can obtain the perfect renters insurance policy that meets your needs and budget.