Car Insurance in Fargo, ND
Experts break down car insurance costs, coverage, companies, and more in Fargo, ND.
Fargo accounts for over 15% of North Dakota’s population. It is the cultural, educational, healthcare, and economic center for North Dakota and northwestern Minnesota, and is home to North Dakota State University.
With so much going on in Fargo, the roads often get busy and dangerous. Whether you’re taking in the sights or driving through town on your way to work, car accidents can happen to anyone who lives and drives in Fargo.
But with a reliable car insurance policy, you can have peace of mind. A local independent insurance agent can help you get quotes for the best car insurance in Fargo, ND.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Fargo, ND?
North Dakota is the 19th most expensive state for car insurance. Car insurance rates in Fargo are similar to the state and national averages.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- North Dakota average annual car insurance cost: $1,377
- Fargo average annual car insurance cost: $1,308
Car insurance in Fargo may seem expensive, but no one should overpay. If you shop around, you might find rates that are a better fit for your budget.
Before you shop, you should know that the cost of car insurance is based on your personal characteristics, such as where you live, the make and model of your car, and how far you drive to work or school every day.
Insurance companies also consider a variety of other risk factors, such as:
- Your age
- Your gender
- Your driving history
- The number of cars and drivers in your household
The type of car you drive is one of the biggest factors in determining your car insurance premium. If you drive a powerful muscle car, expect to pay more than your neighbor who drives a used minivan.
Any car that is more likely to get into an accident or is more expensive to repair or replace will cost more to insure.
With the help of a local independent insurance agent, you can review quotes from multiple insurance companies to be sure you are getting the best deal.
Is Car Insurance Required in Fargo, ND?
If you own a vehicle in North Dakota, you are required to purchase auto insurance. You must have the following coverage—at a minimum—in order to comply with the law:
- Bodily injury liability: Required
- Property damage liability: Required
- Personal injury protection (PIP): Required
- Uninsured motorist coverage: Required
- Minimum liability limits: 25/50/25; coverage up to $25,000 per person, subject to a limit of $50,000 per accident; and $25,000 coverage for property damage
While this may seem like great coverage, a minimum-coverage policy may leave you underinsured. If you cause a major collision, you will have to pay out of pocket for all of the expenses that exceed your coverage limits.
These expenses can include medical bills for other drivers and passengers, vehicle repair costs, and even attorney fees and settlements or judgments levied against you if you are sued for negligence.
Many drivers purchase liability coverage limits that are higher than the state requirement. An independent insurance agent can help determine how much liability coverage is necessary to adequately protect you and your family.
What Does Car Insurance Cover in Fargo, ND?
Most states, including North Dakota, require that drivers have a minimum amount of auto insurance that covers personal injury liability and property damage liability. This protects other people and their property if you’re at fault in an accident.
- Bodily injury liability: Coverage provides protection if you injure or kill someone else while driving your car. It protects you against an injured party’s claims for damage, including medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. It also provides for your legal defense fees if another party involved in the accident sues you.
- Property damage liability: Coverage pays for any damage that you cause to the property of others (e.g., another driver’s car) and for your legal defense if you are sued.
The state of North Dakota also requires that you purchase personal injury protection coverage, and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. In many other states these are optional coverages.
Medical payments coverage: (personal injury protection) Helps pay for medical, dental, and funeral expenses for you or your passengers, regardless of who is at fault for an accident.
Uninsured motorist coverage: Protects you if you are hit by a hit-and-run driver or by a driver who does not have auto liability coverage. It takes the place of liability insurance that the other driver should have, but does not.
Underinsured motorist coverage: Protects you if another motorist is at fault for a collision but does not have enough insurance to cover your losses.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Else Can Car Insurance Cover in Fargo, ND?
In addition to the coverage required by law, there are several optional types of coverage that you can choose from, depending on your needs and your budget. These include:
- Collision coverage: This covers the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged or totaled in a collision, regardless of fault.
- Comprehensive coverage: This covers the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged or totaled by a non-collision event such as a hailstorm or theft.
- Roadside assistance coverage: (towing and labor coverage) Pays for help if you are locked out of your vehicle, run out of gas, or face some other type of problem while out on the road. Your insurance company will help you contact tow trucks, locksmiths, or other forms of assistance as needed, and will reimburse you for the costs of these services up to certain limits.
- Rental reimbursement coverage: Provides for payment for a rental car if your vehicle is damaged and you must rent a vehicle while it is being repaired.
- Loan/lease or gap coverage: Pays the difference between what you owe on a vehicle and its cash value if it is totaled.
An independent insurance agent can help you decide which types of coverage offer the best protection for your needs.
Why Do You Need Car Insurance in Fargo, ND?
There are many reasons to purchase car insurance in North Dakota, the first of which is that state law requires certain types of insurance.
The second most important reason to have car insurance is that there are a lot of dangers out on the road, and even while your car is parked at home or at work. While your state-mandated liability insurance protects other drivers if you cause an accident, your other coverage provides financial recourse when your own car is damaged, stolen, or vandalized by someone else.
Uninsured motorist coverage protects you if you’re in an accident with an uninsured driver. Driving without insurance is against the law in North Dakota, yet many drivers continue to drive without coverage. In fact, over 6% of drivers in North Dakota are uninsured.
Other types of coverage, like comprehensive and collision coverage, help you pay for damage to your vehicle after a collision, a theft, or some other type of covered damage. Fargo does not have an especially high rate of auto theft, but car thefts can happen anywhere, including in Fargo:
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.29
- North Dakota auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.34
- Fargo auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.47
The comprehensive portion of your car insurance policy reimburses you for your losses after a vehicle theft or a break-in.
What Are the Best Car Insurance Companies in Fargo, ND?
It can be simple to find the best car insurance companies in Fargo. A local independent insurance agent can help you get car insurance quotes from multiple insurance companies, so you can select the best policy for your needs and budget.
How Can an Independent Insurance Agent Help Me Find the Best Car Insurance in Fargo, ND?
Instead of getting an online quote, find an independent insurance agent now, and get one-on-one consultation and affordable options for the best coverage for your unique needs. Your agent will work with you free of charge, offering you a variety of quotes for car insurance in Fargo.
What’s more, your agent will be there for you when claim time comes. They know the ins and outs of the process and will make sure your claim is handled appropriately.
Contact an agent today for a free, no-obligation consultation.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2023, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.