No place along the Emerald Coast of the Florida Panhandle is more exciting than Destin, FL. It’s outgrown the nickname “the world’s luckiest fishing village” and become a thriving and growing community. While there is a lot to see all along the beautiful Gulf Coast, it takes a car to get out and be a part of it. Driving a car in Florida means having car insurance, and the choices you have to make in Destin may be complex.
Your Independent Insurance Agent will not only help you navigate the requirements and options to find the best car insurance, but they will also get quotes from a number of different companies. You can then compare them to find the most affordable policy that fits your lifestyle. There is no doubt that car insurance in Florida is among the most expensive in the nation, with some of the cost stemming from the overpopulation of the big cities. Destin auto insurance is also rather pricy. The figures from recent years tell the story:
- The U.S. average is $1,311 per year for car insurance premiums.
- The Florida average is $1,742 per year.
- The Sunshine State ranks fifth overall in car insurance cost.
- Claimed losses totaled $19,737,799 in Florida alone.
Car insurance is not there just to keep your car looking like new. The biggest costs of accidents stem from injuries suffered. Medical bills are nearly unlimited in potential liability, even in relatively minor accidents. It is important to have the right coverage for the risk one takes on, getting on the roads every day.
Florida Car Insurance Requirements
Car insurance is required by state law in Florida, and every driver has to have some minimum level of coverage against liability:
- Bodily Injury Liability: State law requires a minimum of $10,000 per person covered and a minimum of $20,000 total for all persons injured in an accident.
- Property Damage Liability: The state requires a minimum of $20,000 in protection against damage to any property in an accident.
- Personal Injury Protection: This is also required for all motorists, with a minimum of $10,000 in protection against injury.
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage: Coverage against uninsured drivers is not required in Florida, but you should seriously consider it.
If you want to keep your car looking its best, you can also choose to have comprehensive coverage for your vehicle. This covers anything that happens to the vehicle, either on the road or while it is parked. You can even elect to have a rental car included while your car is in the shop so you can always get around no matter what happens.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in Florida
Insurance is required by state law, but a very high number of Florida drivers do not have any. That means that when an accident happens, you are left on your own to cover any expenses unless you have uninsured motorist coverage. Uninsured motorist insurance is expensive. This expense is the main reason why car insurance premiums for those who do have it is so expensive. But it is critical to have, especially in Florida. Consider these statistics from recent years:
- Nationally, 12.6% of all drivers do not have insurance.
- In Florida, that figure is a staggering 23.8%.
Nearly one driver in four does not have the required insurance, so if you are in an accident, the odds are high that the other driver will not be covered. In order to be sure you are not stuck with bills for any damage or injury that results from an accident, it is important that you have uninsured motorist coverage in Florida.
Number of Auto Thefts in Florida
While it may surprise you, Florida has a slightly lower than average rate of car theft. These are more statistics from recent years:
- The U.S. average is 2.94 thefts per 1,000 cars.
- In Florida, the rate is 2.46 per 1,000 cars.
It is still important to be covered in case of theft, especially for certain makes and models. It’s also important to check and see which models are most often stolen before you buy a new car in order to find out what it will cost to insure it.
Find a Great Destin Car Insurance Policy
The best place to start for the best insurance is your independent insurance agent. There is a car insurance policy out there that is right for you, but finding it can be difficult. You want the experts who know their way around many different insurance companies to be there to help you find the policy you need at a price you can afford.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.