Watertown, SD is a small city that is surrounded by farmland. Dozens of area farmers participate in local farmers’ markets, which are popular in this city. If you are among the farm or ranch owners in the Watertown area, you can protect your investment with an all-inclusive farm insurance policy.
Independent agents in Watertown are ready to help you find the best farm insurance policy to meet your coverage and budgetary needs. Contact an insurance agent near you to learn more and to start comparing customized quotes for farm and ranch insurance.
What Is Watertown Farm Insurance?
Farm insurance is a specialized policy that is designed to meet the unique coverage needs of farm and ranch owners. It combines coverage for your home with coverage for your farming business in one easy-to-manage and fully customizable policy package.
Independent insurance agents can help you review your various coverage options as you build your farm insurance policy. That way, you can be sure you are purchasing a policy that covers you against all of the hazards you are likely to face as a farm or ranch owner in the Watertown area.
Watertown Farm Insurance Covers against Liability Risks
As with any home or business, farms and ranches present several liability risks. That is why farm insurance includes liability coverage as a standard part of every policy. It can pay for court costs, legal fees, and damages if you are sued for a covered event. The following are some examples of available farm liability coverage:
- Premises liability insurance: This can pay for third-party damage and injuries if visitors, guests, or customers are involved in an accident while on your farm or ranch property.
- Product liability insurance: This can pay for third-party illnesses, injuries, or other damage if a product that your farm or ranch produces or sells is defective or hazardous in some way.
- Operations liability insurance: This is can pay for third-party injuries or property damage caused by you or your employees in the course of running your farm.
- Farm workers medical payments insurance: South Dakota does not require you to cover farm and agricultural employees with workers’ compensation insurance. This leaves many farm owners open to liability lawsuits. Farm workers medical payments coverage can minimize your risk by covering medical treatments for your workers’ job-related injuries.
An independent insurance agent can help you review these and other liability coverage options so you can make an informed decision about which are a good fit for your particular farm or ranch.
Watertown Farm Insurance Covers Your Property
Farm and ranch owners in Watertown are most likely to experience property damage caused by risks such as freezing temperatures, severe storms, heavy winds, hail, and tornadoes. Fortunately, your farm insurance policy provides coverage for your expensive farm assets.
Some of the property that your farm insurance policy can cover includes:
- Your farmhouse: If you live on your farm or ranch, farm insurance can provide you with coverage for the structure of your home as well as for the personal property inside it.
- Outbuildings: Farm insurance can cover the structure and contents of the structures on your property, including barns, silos, stables, sheds, and garages.
- Equipment and machinery: Farm insurance enables you to cover against damage to your farm equipment and machinery, including tractors, plows, balers, cultivators, sprayers, and sprinkler systems.
Flood damage, which is a very real risk in Watertown, is not included in your farm insurance coverage. Fortunately, your local independent insurance agent can also help you supplement your policy with a commercial flood insurance policy through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
Watertown Farm Insurance Offers Additional Coverage
Farm insurance can include additional, optional coverage. You can customize your policy by choosing only the insurance that makes sense for your particular farm or ranch. The following are examples of some the coverage options available to you:
- Specialized property insurance: You can purchase endorsements to cover certain specialized property that is essential for operating your farm or ranch. This includes fences, livestock, feed, and irrigation systems.
- Equipment breakdown insurance: You can get coverage that will pay to quickly repair or replace malfunctioning or broken down farm equipment so you can keep your business running smoothly.
- Farm income insurance: You can get coverage that is designed to make up the difference between expected and actual profits if your farm’s operations are hindered by a disaster such as a wildfire or hailstorm.
- Debris cleanup and removal insurance: You can buy coverage that will cover the cost of a timely cleanup of debris if severe weather causes extensive damage to your farm or ranch. That way, you can get back to normal operations as quickly as possible.
Talk to an insurance agent near you to learn about these and other coverage offerings that are available to you. Your agent can help you decide which options are right for your Watertown-area farm.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Watertown?
When you work with an independent insurance agent who lives and works in the Watertown area, you can be sure that you are getting advice and guidance from an insurance professional who is familiar with the risks you face as a farm or ranch owner in eastern South Dakota.
Independent insurance agents can help you find a suitable farm insurance policy at a competitive price. Contact an insurance agent near you to learn more.