South Dakota Motorcycle Insurance
Get Motorcycle Insurance Deals in South Dakota
South Dakota offers some of the most beautiful locales for motorcycle riding in the country. But if you like to take your bike out on the open road in the warm months, you need to protect yourself with the right motorcycle insurance. Quotes on a motorcycle insurance policy are easy to find here in South Dakota. With the right coverage, you can ride without worrying quite so much about the cost of accidents, medical payments or litigation.
Motorcycling in South Dakota
- Minors in SD can test for a motorcycle instruction permit at the age of 14, leading to a restricted minor's permit.
- Motorcycles make up 7.6% of motor vehicles in SD but are involved in 17% of the traffic accident fatalities.
- 70% of SD motorcycle fatalities happen to riders from other states.
- 42% of SD motorcycle fatalities occur in the Black Hills area.
- 69% of these fatalities happen in August, when the number of riders from other states is highest.
- All SD motorists must purchase liability coverage and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.
- The minimum liability limits are 25/50/25, as follows:
- $25,000 limit on bodily injury per person
- $50,000 limit per accident
- $25,000 limit for property damage
- The minimum uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage is as follows:
- $25,000 bodily injury per person
- $50,000 bodily injury per accident
What Does Motorcycle Insurance Cover?
Motorcycle insurance can cover almost any motor bike, including the following:
- Classic motorcycles
- Dirt bikes
- Sport bikes
- Collision: For repairs or total replacement of your bike after an accident
- Comprehensive: For theft, vandalism, storm and fire damage
- Equipment coverage: For the extras you keep on your bike
- Roadside assistance: For help with the cost of towing
- Rental insurance: For help keeping you on the road while your bike is in the shop
How Much Does Motorcycle Insurance Cost in South Dakota?
The price of your motorcycle coverage depends on your bike, your driving history and experience, and your planned riding area. In general, a motorcycle policy costs more than an auto insurance policy simply because the risk of injury is greater. Coverage for the bare minimum liability insurance can cost between $100 and $400 per year. If you are a young man, your insurance will cost you much more now than it will cost in the future when you have more experience and a clean record.
Find the Best Rates on Motorcycle Insurance
A local, independent agent is the best source for motorcycle insurance quotes and information. Independent agents in the Trusted Choice® network have access to many different insurance companies, which means they can shop around to find the right coverage for you at the best possible price.
Contact an agent right here in South Dakota for valuable motorcycle insurance quotes and the coverage you need.
« End of box »