South Dakota offers some of the most beautiful locales for motorcycle riding in the country. But if you like to take your bike out on the open road in the warm months, you need to protect yourself with the right motorcycle insurance. Quotes on a motorcycle insurance policy are easy to find here in South Dakota. With the right coverage, you can ride without worrying quite so much about the cost of accidents, medical payments or litigation.
Use our independent agent matching system to find the best insurance plan in your area. You tell us what you’re looking for, and our technology will recommend the best agents for you. Any information you provide will be sent to only the agents you pick. We do not sell to third parties.
Motorcycling in South Dakota
- Minors in SD can test for a motorcycle instruction permit at the age of 14, leading to a restricted minor's permit.
- Motorcycles make up 7.6% of motor vehicles in SD but are involved in 17% of the traffic accident fatalities.
- 70% of SD motorcycle fatalities happen to riders from other states.
- 42% of SD motorcycle fatalities occur in the Black Hills area.
- 69% of these fatalities happen in August, when the number of riders from other states is highest.
The state of South Dakota Department of Public Safety is working hard to educate local and out-of-state drivers about the unique dangers they face on South Dakota roads in order to bring the number of fatalities down. In addition, South Dakota requires extra insurance for uninsured motorists, along with the usual liability minimums most states require, as follows:
- All SD motorists must purchase liability coverage and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.
- The minimum liability limits are 25/50/25, as follows:
- $25,000 limit on bodily injury per person
- $50,000 limit per accident
- $25,000 limit for property damage
- The minimum uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage is as follows:
- $25,000 bodily injury per person
- $50,000 bodily injury per accident
What Does Motorcycle Insurance Cover?
Motorcycle insurance can cover almost any motor bike, including the following:
- Classic motorcycles
- Dirt bikes
- Sport bikes
Your motorcycle policy must include the minimum liability coverage required by state law. This coverage can cover part of the cost of a claim against you if you accidentally cause an accident. It can take care of a set portion of the medical payments to injured parties, and it can help with the cost of repairs to other people's property. However, this coverage only works up to the limits on your policy. The state-mandated liability limits can be much too low to cover the costs of a court settlement or your legal defense. That's why it's a good idea to purchase as much liability insurance as you can afford.
In South Dakota, you must also have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. This can help pay your medical bills and repair costs if an uninsured/underinsured motorist causes an accident that hurts you and your bike.
Other coverage you may need for your motorcycle includes the following:
- Collision: For repairs or total replacement of your bike after an accident
- Comprehensive: For theft, vandalism, storm and fire damage
- Equipment coverage: For the extras you keep on your bike
- Roadside assistance: For help with the cost of towing
- Rental insurance: For help keeping you on the road while your bike is in the shop
How Much Does Motorcycle Insurance Cost in South Dakota?
The price of your motorcycle coverage depends on your bike, your driving history and experience, and your planned riding area. In general, a motorcycle policy costs more than an auto insurance policy simply because the risk of injury is greater. Coverage for the bare minimum liability insurance can cost between $100 and $400 per year. If you are a young man, your insurance will cost you much more now than it will cost in the future when you have more experience and a clean record.
Find the Best Rates on Motorcycle Insurance
A local, independent agent is the best source for motorcycle insurance quotes and information. Independent agents in the Trusted Choice® network have access to many different insurance companies, which means they can shop around to find the right coverage for you at the best possible price.
Contact an agent right here in South Dakota for valuable motorcycle insurance quotes and the coverage you need.