When it comes to RV insurance coverage, owners of recreational vehicles in South Dakota have almost as many coverage options as they do campgrounds at which to enjoy their RVs. From RV parks that offer views of Mount Rushmore to campgrounds along Lake Thompson, RV owners can enjoy a number of scenic vacation retreats all without ever leaving their home state. Suitable insurance coverage for these homes-on-wheels has a tendency to be a bit pricey, so it is important that RV enthusiasts in South Dakota compare a number of motorhome insurance quotes before selecting a policy.
Use our independent agent matching system to find the best insurance plan in your area. You tell us what you’re looking for, and our technology will recommend the best agents for you. Any information you provide will be sent to only the agents you pick. We do not sell to third parties.
There Are Benefits to Owning an RV
- Approximately 73% of all RV owners polled stated that they save significantly on family vacations.
- Traveling by RV reduces your exposure to illnesses and other health risks that you might encounter on airplanes, trains and hotels.
- Vacationing in RVs enables families to enjoy a lot of quality time together.
- There are thousands of picturesque RV campgrounds located throughout the U.S.
- There are more than 186 RV parks in the state of SD alone.
What Is Motorhome (RV) Insurance?
Owners of recreational vehicles have complex insurance coverage needs. This is because motorhomes must have vehicular coverage when you use them as vehicles and they require homeowners-type coverage when you use them for housing.
RV insurance provides both types of coverage in one convenient package. It also offers several other coverage options, such as full-timers liability insurance, designed specifically to meet the unique needs of recreational vehicle owners. Most motorhome insurance companies offer a variety of coverage options, enabling South Dakota’s RV owners to build policies that are suitable for their specific circumstances.
What Coverage Is Included with RV Insurance Policies?
RV insurance policies offer a number of different types of coverage. RVs are, first and foremost, vehicles. Some things you can expect to find included with your policy that are vehicle related include these coverage options:
- Vehicular liability coverage: This covers the costs if a third party sustains injuries or property damage due to a collision for which you are at fault. Because RVs are very large and heavy vehicles, a collision can cause a great deal of damage. Therefore, you should purchase liability coverage in an amount well over the state’s minimum requirements. You may even want to consider supplementing your RV policy with umbrella insurance.
- Collision coverage: This covers necessary repairs to, or replacement of, your RV if it sustains damage in a motor vehicle collision, regardless of fault.
- Comprehensive coverage: This covers you against RV loss or damage caused by non-collision-related external events such as fire, flood, falling objects, severe weather, vandalism and theft.
- Medical payments coverage: If you or your passengers sustain injuries in a collision, regardless of fault, this option can cover your medical treatments.
- Roadside assistance: This coverage option covers the costs of specialized towing if your RV becomes inoperable while you are traveling.
RVs also serve as homes. Policy coverage related to home insurance includes these options:
- Contents coverage: This covers all the personal property you keep inside your motorhome against burglary, loss and damage. This coverage includes items such as clothing, electronics, cookware, décor and built-in appliances.
- Full-timer liability coverage: This coverage is for SD residents who live in their motorhomes several months out of the year – or even year round. It provides the same sort of liability coverage that traditional homeowners insurance policies typically offer.
- Campsite liability coverage: Sometimes referred to as vacation liability insurance, this is similar to full-timer liability coverage but for a shorter period of time. You can purchase this coverage only for the times that you are living in your motorhome on a campground, such as during a weeklong vacation.
What RV Types Does Motorhome Insurance Cover?
Recreational vehicles come in a wide range of types and styles. Although often referred to as RVs, fifth-wheel trailers and other towable campers are not actual motorized vehicles, so these trailers and campers need trailer insurance rather than RV insurance.
The types of motorhomes that you would insure with an RV insurance policy in South Dakota include the following:
- Class-A RVs: These are the largest and most expensive types of RVs on the market. They have the outward appearance of a large bus, or motorcoach, and include many amenities such as kitchen, bathroom and laundry facilities, and climate control.
- Class-C RVs: These RVs are similar to Class-A RVs in terms of amenities, but they are typically smaller. This type of motorhome has the outward appearance of a truck with a separate cab for the driver. There is typically a bunk or storage space over the cab.
- Class-B RVs: These are the smallest of the three types of RVs. What they lack in space they make up for in maneuverability. They have the outward appearance of a large van and many include pop-out and pop-up camper materials to expand their living space when parked.
Are RV Insurance Quotes Reasonable in South Dakota?
Several considerations factor into calculating RV insurance quotes, such as the following:
- The type of the RV you own (Class A, Class B or Class C)
- Your RV’s make, model, year and purchase price
- The number of miles you expect to drive it each year
- How frequently and how long you will be using it as a home
- The amount of coverage you are purchasing
- The amount of your deductible
- Your driving record, claims history and credit score
In general, average rates start at about $800 a year for Class-C vehicles and go as high as $4,000 a year for some of the more luxurious Class-A motorhomes. Because RV insurance rates can vary significantly from one insurer to the next, it is to your advantage to obtain at least three motorhome insurance quotes before selecting your policy.
Compare RV Insurance Quotes Quickly and Easily
Comparison-shopping for an affordable and inclusive RV insurance policy can often be a time-consuming and complex endeavor. Fortunately, if you opt to work with an independent insurance agent in the Trusted Choice® network, this process can become much easier. Your local agent can answer questions about your many coverage options and help you assess your coverage needs, and then work with a number of different insurance companies to provide you with a selection of policies from which to choose.
There are several Trusted Choice agents with offices in South Dakota. You can find and contact an agent near you to learn more and to start comparing RV insurance quotes.