Owners of recreational vehicles in South Dakota have many scenic drives and campgrounds from which to choose. From RV parks that offer views of Mount Rushmore to lakeside campgrounds, RV owners can enjoy many scenic vacation retreats without ever leaving their home state.
As you’re traveling through South Dakota in your home on wheels, don't forget to protect yourself with RV insurance.
RV insurance protects you, your vehicle, and your belongings when you’re vacationing or even living full-time in an RV. An independent insurance agent can help you get multiple quotes for RV insurance in South Dakota. A local agent can help you choose the best coverage for your needs and budget.
What Is RV Insurance?
RV insurance is a personal insurance policy designed to cover the specific risks of driving and even living in an RV. It protects a recreational vehicle in the same way that auto insurance protects cars and other personal vehicles. It should cover your personal property inside the RV and provide liability protection if you injure someone or damage someone’s property while driving your RV.
Depending on the type of RV you have, you can purchase RV insurance separately or as an add-on to an auto insurance policy. You'll need to have a separate RV insurance policy if your motor home is classified as Class A, Class B, or Class C, or if it's financed or a rental.
If you live in your RV, you’ll need full-timer RV insurance. A full-time RV insurance policy is for those who use a motor home or travel trailer as their primary residence.
If you don't live in your RV full time, recreational vehicle insurance will cover your RV inside and out when you’re on the road or parked at a campsite.
How Much Does RV Insurance Cost in South Dakota?
The cost of RV insurance in South Dakota will be different for every RV owner, depending on the type of RV that they have, how much and how far they drive it, and other personal characteristics.
Here are some of the factors that will influence the cost of RV insurance in South Dakota:
- The driving record of the RV owner, including RV driving experience
- How many miles the RV will be driven, where it will be driven
- The type and class of the RV
- The size and length of the RV
- The age and condition of the RV
- The value of the RV
- Where the RV will be stored
- Whether the RV is financed
Part-time RV insurance is likely to cost less than full-time RV insurance because full-timers spend far more time driving the RV, travel farther, and keep more possessions inside the vehicle.
What Does RV Insurance Cover in South Dakota?
RV insurance in South Dakota is likely to include the following types of coverage:
- Liability coverage: (required by law) Protects you if you cause injury or damage to someone else while operating your RV.
- Comprehensive and collision coverage: These work like your auto insurance policy's comprehensive and collision coverage. They cover physical damage to your RV. They are optional, but your lender will require them if you finance your RV.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist: This coverage protects you if you’re hit by an uninsured or underinsured driver while operating your RV.
- Medical payments coverage: This pays for medical expenses for you or your passengers if you’re in an accident, regardless of who is at fault.
A variety of other RV insurance coverage options are available. Depending on the insurance company you choose, these may include:
- International travel coverage: This will cover you if you plan to drive your RV into Mexico or Canada.
- Loss replacement coverage: This will help you replace your RV if it suffers a total loss.
- Personal property insurance: Provides coverage for personal items inside your RV, such as clothing, kitchen items, tools, equipment, electronics, etc.
- Attached accessories coverage: Reimburses you for damage to items like awnings or TV antennas that are not covered under the basic policy.
- Emergency expenses coverage: Reimburses you for hotel or transportation costs after you’ve had an accident and cannot use your RV.
- Campsite and vacation coverage: Protects you if you use your RV or motorhome as a temporary residence during a vacation. It covers your liability exposures in these situations.
Part-time RV users who only use their vehicle during certain months can suspend their collision and liability coverage when the RV is not in use. This can help them save money on their premiums.
Save on RV Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
Is RV Insurance Required in South Dakota?
RV insurance can cover many different types of vehicles, including:
- Class A, B, and C motor homes
- Travel trailers, including conventional and fifth-wheel
- Pop-up and truck campers
If you use your RV as a motor home and drive it on public roads under its own power, South Dakota state law requires you to carry a minimum amount of liability insurance. The required minimum amounts of liability insurance that motorists must carry in South Dakota are as follows:
- $25,000 for each injury or death per accident
- $50,000 for total injuries or deaths per accident
- $25,000 for property damage per accident
Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage are also required for drivers of all kinds of vehicles in South Dakota, including RV drivers.
If you finance the purchase of your RV, your lender is likely to require you to buy comprehensive and collision coverage in addition to liability coverage before your financing will be approved.
If you live in your RV full time, you’ll need special “full-timer” RV insurance that combines elements of auto insurance and homeowners insurance. And if you’ve got an RV like a pop-up, travel trailer, or fifth-wheel that is towed behind another vehicle, it will be covered by the policy of the vehicle that is towing it.
What Are the Best RV Insurance Companies in South Dakota?
Local independent insurance agents make comparison shopping for RV insurance easy. They can obtain quotes from the best RV insurance companies in South Dakota and ensure that you're getting your policy at a competitive price.
How Can an Independent Insurance Agent Help Me Find RV Insurance in South Dakota?
Instead of getting an online quote, find an independent insurance agent now, and get one-on-one consultation and affordable options for the best coverage for your unique needs. Your agent will work with you free of charge, offering you a variety of options so you can make the best choice.
What’s more, your agent will be there for you when claim time comes. They know the ins and outs of the process and will make sure your claim is handled appropriately.
Contact an agent today for a free, no-obligation consultation.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2023, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.