Motorcycles are a fun and economical transportation alternative for an increasing number of residents in this large North Texas city. Unfortunately, the increase in riders has also meant an increase in accidents. A good Fort Worth, TX motorcycle insurance policy can help you protect your investment and your finances.
When you are shopping for a motorcycle policy, an independent insurance agent in the Trusted Choice® network can provide you with personal service and competitive rates. These local member agents can answer your policy questions and help you compare a variety of Fort Worth motorcycle insurance quotes. Contact an agent near you today to learn more.
Motorcycle Ownership and Insurance Cost Estimates
- Average price of a new motorcycle, 2009: $12,304
- Liability insurance cost estimates for an adult with a good driving record: $200 to $400
- Full coverage cost estimate for an adult with a good driving record: $400 to $800
What type of motorcycle do you ride? There are a number of different kinds including sport bikes, dirt bikes and choppers. Insurance companies base their rates on many factors, not just the motorcycle type. Policy rates can also be influenced by your age, driving history and even your ZIP code.
How Can I Qualify for Motorcycle Insurance Discounts?
You might be able to save money by qualifying for discounts. Insurers usually offer discounts for things that bike owners do to reduce risks and make doing business easier. Some common examples of things you can do to attain discounts from most insurance companies include:
- Taking an approved motorcycle safety course
- Insuring your other vehicles or home with the same company
- Always wearing a helmet
- Having anti-theft devices
- Having a clean driving record
- Paying promptly, paying with automatic debits or paying in advance
What Are the Motorcycle Requirements in Fort Worth?
Texas requires motorcycle operators to meet several state laws. Before taking your bike out on the road, you must have the following:
- Successful completion of a DPS motorcycle basic safety class
- Helmet, for some riders
- Texas motorcycle license
- Texas motor vehicle registration for street bikes
- Texas off-highway vehicle registration for off-road bikes
- Minimum insurance liability limits:
- $60,000 per accident for all persons
- $30,000 per accident for one person
- $25,000 per accident for property damage
The Texas Off-Highway Vehicle Program (OHV) only requires you to register off-road vehicles if you plan to ride them on public trails. The state requires different licensing and coverage requirements if you never ride your sport or dirt bike on public roads. You can speak with a local Trusted Choice agent about appropriate coverage for off-road bikes as well as motorcycles.
Financing companies typically require full coverage on any motorcycles for which you still have outstanding loans. This coverage includes collision and comprehensive insurance in addition to the state's required vehicle liability insurance.
What Does Fort Worth Motorcycle Insurance Cover?
At the very least, motorcycle insurance policies provide mandatory liability coverage. All other coverage is optional. You can speak with your insurance agent about the following coverage:
- Property liability insurance: This covers another person’s property if you damage it in an accident for which you are at fault.
- Bodily injury liability insurance: This compensates another person for injuries in an accident for which you are at fault.
- Collision insurance: This covers damages to your motorcycle in the event of an accident, regardless of fault.
- Medical payments insurance: This can help cover your medical bills if you or your passenger are injured in an accident.
- Comprehensive insurance: This covers your motorcycle if a non-accident related incident damages it. Examples may include storms, theft and vandalism.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorists insurance: This covers you if you are injured or your bike is damaged by an uninsured, underinsured or hit-and-run motorist.
- Roadside assistance: This is similar to motor club coverage. You can call for a tow, battery charge or flat tire fix.
You can select the coverage you need or purchase a package that will bundle multiple kinds of coverage. Your local agent can help you select the right options for your needs and budget.
How Can I Compare Fort Worth Motorcycle Insurance Quotes?
You do not want to find yourself without the proper coverage if you are in an accident or if something happens to your motorcycle. Finding sensible coverage that fits within your budget is easy when you speak with an independent agent in the Trusted Choice network.
These local member agents can suggest policy options and help you compare prices and coverage from a variety of highly-rated insurance companies. Contact an agent near you today for more information about Fort Worth motorcycle insurance.